1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Murray Cod on the murry!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by CISH, Mar 31, 2010.

Tags:
  1. CISH

CISH New Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Im heading up towards Burea which is between cobram and echuca on the murray for eastern weekend camping and fishing, just wondering how the cod have been with bait etc?

CISH.

2. Lawless

Lawless New Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Do you mean Bearii?

3. Arn09

Arn09 New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Obviously that fish in your signature wasn't going back!

4. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Easy boys the dp could just be because he's unaware of how to handle fish. I know a lot of us hate not o c and r all of our fish, but it's not illegal, we've just made the choice not to. One thing I've learnt while working in this industry is we're better off educating, not having a go at people, if anything having an argument with em will make em even more set in there ways. However, cish I would suggest you change your avatar, it will save a whole lot of drama in the long run mate. Also if you want to know how to support your fish have a look at our galleries, you should get the idea from there

5. mallee

mallee New Member

Sep 1, 2005
    As soon as I seen CISH's avatar I said to myself "Self this guy is in for it" the glasshouse dwellers and keyboard slappers are going to get into it.
    Education is the go not yelling and screaming:mad:

Settle pettle:)

Have a good brake guy's

Mallee

6. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    fair enough, best support (i have found) is thumb grip and other hand under belly, and never hold vertically supported by head, had seen a dvd where they tested these and they had a 90 somethin barra measured it flat and then vertically and its backbone had stretched just over 3cm, and this couldnt possibly be good for a fish!

7. Got Buckley's

Got Buckley's Queanbeyan NSW

Jul 25, 2008
    well said skipzx, its been a long running argument on this site as the majority of us live by C & R, its not illegal to take a fish, but you will find it hard to get a heads up on locations from anyone when you use a pic like that as your avatar cish. Maybe he did go back in, but from a pic like that it does give everyone doubts. Not having a go Cish, just stating the obvious.

the probelm is that most blokes who do the illegal thing dont sign up and just veiw the site as vistors, so thats why I think that "naming locations" isnt such a good idea on public forums, so its better to talk about our efforts on the water,techniques and tackle and then everyone is happy :)

cheers

8. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    well said bucko

9. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Very true Buck, sometimes I think it's unfortunate for blokes who don't fish much, set up a pic like that as an avatar and then get their head ripped off all because they were ignorant.
    And Buck you're right on about the location stuff too, keep it in generalities I reckon is the way to go :p
    I normally just say what river I'm on now and that's about it :p

10. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Most people i have met who still use bait for cod dont let many of them go.

11. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    C'mon fella's... whats this blokes crime?

not too many years ago handling fish like this was the norm until folks started to learn it was not good for the fish especially if it was going to be released. All fish live in zero gravity, when removed from the water and not supported correctly gravity can and will break bones and cause damage to internal organs.
    Also toxins, parasites and other germs on our hands will infect the fish in the sensitive gill area.

All ive got to say is congrats to CISH for managing to catch an awesome cod, if it was on bait who cares, no law against bait fishin and tell me who wasnt bought up learning the art of angling beginning with bait fishing???

As for reports that way, well i dare say there are plenty of small cod about taking all sorts of baits, this is always the case along most parts of the river.
    enjoy ya trip CISH.
    cheers
    Jules

12. danvpcommo

danvpcommo New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    If you think fish should not be kept then lobby for a max size limit.

CISH is totally within his rights to keep a fish for a feed.

Dan

13. young_gun

young_gun New Member

Mar 31, 2007
    we already have a max size limit here in Vic ;) just need NSW to jump onboard.

14. Benvolio

Benvolio New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Nothing wrong with taking a fish for the table as long as it's legal. Granted, I wouldn't keep a fish like that (not least because it'd take me weeks to eat it) but if I take a good-sized yellowbelly (around 30-35cm, not a massive breeder) there's a good chance it'll end up on the plate. Cod, too, depending on its' size and how I hooked it. I gut-hooked a cod just over 50cm not too long ago, and given its chances of survival I considered it a kinder act to give it a quick slap upside the head and take it home for tea rather than release it to a probable slow death.

15. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    only cod i ever keep are ones which have taken a hardbody right down, although i will still spend upto an hour trying to get them going again as it is normally the larger specimens which do so.

16. mitchmcm

mitchmcm Member

Feb 2, 2010
    fishing was invented as a food resource only up to the last 10 15 years or so has there been a real boom in catch and release so i see no problem with taking a feed.

17. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    mitch i had never thought of it that way and you are spot on.