1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Murray cod stocking in northern Vic.

Discussion in 'Fishing in Victoria' started by Rod Bender, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Fisheries Vic have been at it again! The one of interest to me is the stocking in Boosey Creek!
    cod stocking.JPG

kev209 and AWL like this.
  2. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    That's good to see :D
    I wonder what the go is with maryborough though.It's not in northern vic,its south of the divide, which seems to go against there normal policy on stocking of cod outside their native waters.
    Are they trying to convert trout fishers maybe:rolleyes:

Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Fisheries head honcho, Travis Dowling mentioned some relevant points in regard to this during his presentation at the cod conference last month. In a nutshell, and reading in between some very strong lines...it appears as though this previous stocking tradition (stocking within natural areas where the fish is found) is now deemed to be slightly flexible! Based on....? Who knows! But there will be some reasoning behind their flexibility...apparently...maybe...perhaps! o_O

Honestly, from my dealings with him (talking to him for 5 minutes at Mansfield and one email exchange), he is great! And I think some of the changes may be in relation to the million billion plan that Vic has! You know what I mean...increase the numbers of people fishing. So therefore every aspect of getting people involved is being looked at. Give people the chance of catching a cod if they have never caught one before.

I may be wrong but I would not be surprised if after the power station at Hazelwood dies...and take the Barra with it...the only way to appease the locals will be by chucking a million billion cod in there and giving them something they have never had before! Either that or they may stock it with Pike (that nasty UK fish)!

Another thing Travis mentioned, sort of, possibly, even though redfin are considered a pest, they may be looking at improving redfin fishing in some isolated areas. He didn't mention too much but I think it may have been in reference to this.
    http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/fishe...ke-purrumbete-to-improve-recreational-fishing
    Ok, they may intend on removing a lot of them (redfin) but I think part of it may be due to some of the fishos there wanting to catch bigger redfin! Although other people would rather catch salmonids and loathe the introduced heathen of a fish that is the redfin cos redfin do so much damage! :cool:

You should attend the next codference if you can AWOL! May I suggest you avoid the trout conference though, the chances of you pummeling someone there will be too high!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Tells it as it is...sometimes, maybe!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  4. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Thanx for the info RB:cool: