1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

My intro

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JD1, May 21, 2019.

1. JD1

JD1 New Member

May 21, 2019
    Hi all.
    I have moved to the ACT from Nuriootpa SA. I enjoy most forms of fishing so I look forward to the challenge of targetting the freshwater native population in and around Canberra. I lived in Wagga for a few years so I have some understanding of the area but certainly want to expand on that.
    Boat type: Haines Hunter Breeze 500
    Kayak: dual Scorpio Turtle
    Favourite Species: snapper and Yellowbelly (callop)
    Favourite location: Fowlers Bay FWC South Australia
    Home: About 300 metres from Yerrabi Pond

Thanks for having me.

Madfisher, creekboy, diesel and 2 others like this.
  2. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Welcome aboard. Nice boat shame about the location ...

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Welcome to the forum JD1.

I know Nuriootpa quite well, Linkes Butcher shop is one of the best in the country for quality bratwurst. I can also relate to Fowlers Bay, spent many nights pulling in big calamari off the jetty and fished around Mexican Hat plus a lot of the headlands and beaches west when I lived in Ceduna.

What made you leave some of the best fishing locations in Oz and move to Canberra?

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Welcome to TBX JD1.

creekboy and diesel like this.
  5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Welcome aboard! From a few visits to Wagga, I definitely remember there being a couple great tackle stores there...and a great looking river!
    Cheers
    Jim

kev209, creekboy and diesel like this.
  6. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Welcome to TBX, JD1. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 likes this.
  7. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Welcome JD, some great Cod fishing around Canberra as well as trout to the south.
    Cheers Pete

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  8. JD1

JD1 New Member

May 21, 2019
    Gday Jeff.
    Short answer is RAAF posting. Yes Nuri is a nice place and we will likely settle there one day, we own a home just out of town and will hold onto it for now.
    Fowlers, yep what can be said other than it is amazing. I last fished there in 2017 and we got around the point a couple of times dropping a line at Mexican hat as well as some marks I have out from Scotts Bay. On one particular day we reached our Snapper over 65cm quota within 20 minutes and moved around struggling to get anything smaller that we could keep. Eventually we tucked in close and picked up over 100 Silver Whiting that averaged 30cm. Some would have been KGW legal. The KGW that we get there are 50 plus fish, although we dont see many. Unbelievable place but certainly 2 boat territory if going around the point in a 5ish metre boat.

creekboy, Madfisher and kev209 like this.