1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

My opinion on Mono.

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Master Baiter, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    I harp on this but now I only use Suffix Mono on my reel's I have a spool of Suffix Advance Mono 15LB DIA 0.28 on a Daiwa BG 4000. I have so much confidece that I feel nothing will get away. I thought the thicker the breaking strain the stronger the line will be,not so. I previosly used Tortue and that is good but stiffer.
    I find Suffix Advance ties great strong knots, casts better seem's not to get wind swept is very sensitive,most of all you would never have to tie a leader again, and they are harder to see. You can hold and use pulling power on to a fish that has got cover until it gives way and comes out.
    Wally

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    Robert Stone, Madfisher and kev. like this.
  2. Robert Stone

Robert Stone Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Good on you for standing up for Mono. I Use Mono all the time, mainly Shimano Exage and Platypus Pretest, both are good lines. I use Penn Super X 20lb and over for the heavy going. I have two rolls of Sufix Super 21 15lb Low Stretch, but I haven't tried them yet.

kev. and Master Baiter like this.
  3. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    My 3 favourite mono are Schneider, Tortue IGFA and Platypus Platinum for off the beaches, I use them on my Alvey reels in a variety of breaking strains - on my 500a I have 8lb Platypus, on my 600c I have 10lb platypus, on my 650a I run 12lb Schneider and on my big 651c5 deep spool I run 10kg (IGFA rated to 40lb) Tortue. I have used braid on Alvey before and it sucks, so all are now loaded with good quality mono. I have pulled in monster crocs to 80cm, big whiting to 45cm, bream to 40cm and Sharks to over 25kg all on these outfits. For beach fishing esp where I fish in close to rocks and reefy fringes the Alvey/Mono combination is definitely the way to go becuase if you hook to a good fish it will usually try to ping you on the reef, so the additional abrasion in mono is perfect for what I do!

BUT... for all my spin reels I use braid and love it and have been using braid in different brands for nearly 20 years, wouldnt go back to mono on spin reel the sensitivity of braid esp when throwing tiny grubs lures or small 3cm stick baits is amazing you feel every twitch and every bump on the line. For bait fishing mono in the creeks would be perfectly okay, but I prefer that feel even when using bait you can sense even the lightest touch on the bait.

I also use mono for leaders when I am either spinning metals or throwing big slab baits on my big baitrunners when chasing jews and sharks- I only run 30 and 50lb whereas for all other applications I use flouro or straight mono on the Alvey's no need for leader whatsoever.

Tackleberry, Master Baiter and kev. like this.