1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Native Watercraft vs Hobie.

Discussion in 'Kayak Fishing' started by nummy, Aug 25, 2016.

1. nummy

nummy New Member

Aug 18, 2016
    I'm contemplating buying myself a Hobie Pro Angler.
    However, I aint gon na rush into it & will be ;looking at alternatives.
    I want something that is primarilly 'pedal powered' & not just a 'paddler' as it's primary use will be for fishing. Hence my initial interest in the the Hobie PA.
    As far as I'm aware the Hobie & Native Watercraft yaks are the only ones that are 'pedal powered'. Does anyone know of others?

The NW Mariner is the direct competition to the Hobie PA. Each has it's advantages. I reckon the Hobie is a bit better quality & has more accessories. However, the Mariner is still bloody good quality & is cheaper. That's a lot of accessories for the same price tag.
    The Native also had a pedal powered prop as opposed to the Hobie Mirage drive fins. This allows the NW to be pedaled backwards & so reverse the yak, something the Hobie can't do. This feature I like a lot.

So, what I'm after is to hear from anyone that might have some experience with the Native Watercraft yaks & what they think of them.
    Have ya used one?
    What do you think?
    How do they compare against the Hobie?
    Do you know of any other 'pedal powered' yaks?

Thanks peeple.

2. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Best idea is to become a member of some of the kayak forums and ask for advice there also- there is a few groups on facebook also which are for people who own yaks and they give really good advice and some organise trips to different areas chasing a plethora of different species of fish in both fresh and salt water.
    ... Having said that I have always wanted a yak myself but I chose to buy a boat instead as its more family friendly and I can take my wife out for a cruise aswell as go fishing with a couple of mates- the disadvantage of the boat is some of the areas I like to explore one cannot possibly get a boat that far up the creek- and access in by foot some be limited or encroaches private property but that is another issue altogether.
    Good luck with the purchase mate

Anthony
    :)

3. mitchmcm

mitchmcm Member

Feb 2, 2010
    I own a hobie so do many others, however, not many native watercraft mariners around? coincidence? i think not. Hobies are trusted, they are easy to get parts for, the pedal system (so i hear) is alot more comfortable than the mariner. If you desperately want reverse, hobie is bringing it out as the end of the year. Do you need reverse? maybe twice............

4. PA Pete

PA Pete New Member

Sep 23, 2016
    KFDU.com.au is a kayak fishing site and has a wealth of information, I would head over to there and search for your answer.