1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

New Van.

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Madfisher, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Well its official we have joined the old farts club and brought a small Goldstream off roader, we are starting to find camping just to hard.We brought the van for about half the new price ,but its better then new as the owner was meticulous and spent a lot of money adding extras. Tows fantastic behind the Paj which still averaged 12l/100 for the entire trip to pick it up.
    Cheers Pete

2. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Hey there Pete,
    Must be the season. We purchased a Goldstream Crown yesterday myself. Ours is an older model but one owner and he and his wife kept it in amazing condition and has a few extra goodies. We pick ours up on Monday as I am sorting our navara with electric brake controller.
    Looking forward to hitting the road for some long service leave next year.
    Cheers Jed

blair, creekboy, Old fisho and 3 others like this.
  3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    The Jayco Eagle we brought is a 2002 model and in top condition, it came with the books, is fully insulated with an aluminium frame, most of all it was within our budget. Our Suzuki is way, way, way, to small to tow it so it's an on site van. So we are members of the stay put old farts club. There is a forum on the net The Grey Nomads and I have picked up a few handy hints from it.

blair, creekboy, Old fisho and 2 others like this.
  4. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    LOl, you would not believe it would you. We had to drive from Bathurst to Gosford to pick it up, so quickly had to organise electric brakes, nearly forgot you need extension mirrors as well. Goldstreams are not cheap but very well built and engineered.
    Happy travels Pete

blair, Bluefin, creekboy and 3 others like this.
  5. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Picked up the van and headed to Healesville for a few nights to test it out.
    It bucketed down rain which was nice to see and the van was very water proof.
    Now planning a mid year Queensland trip.
    Van.jpg

6. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I AM JEALOUS!!!!!
    After spending most of six years on the road-we always returned for Christmas-the thought of you guys hitting the road hurts. I have conceded that that sort of travel is finished for me now but the longing is still there.
    Those six years rate among the best (read as 'the' best) years of my life. What we saw and where we went was way outside anything I had ever dreamed of. Most of all however, without the people we met and the small number we still communicate with, it would never have been what it was.
    Get out, go, enjoy it, just spare a moment now and then for the old fisho who, while dearly loving to go too, cannot.
    It's a life all of its own but of course like life itself, it's what YOU make it.
    Noel
    Crying in my beer (wine)

blair, Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I'll drink to that Noel, but I have been known to drink to anything. ;)

The bride and myself have done the 'big lap' 5 times and we are keen to do it again as there is always some place that we missed. We want to go back to the Kimberleys this year and seeing as how it means travelling across half of the country to get there, we may as well complete the whole lap again.

Jeff

blair, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  8. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Lyn and I have just got home after spending 4 great nights at our van. Some of the combinations we saw set up in the park were unbelievable. There not caravans anymore they are houses on wheels. We are a static couple no touring for us unfortunately. Advice I have been given, because of my little health problem I would have to contact VIC Roads or what ever they are called now to see if it would be legal for me to tow our van. After a bit of looking around and asking questions, we are not that far from a couple of stocked lakes with easy access. So we are very happy where our van is.

blair, Madfisher and diesel like this.
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    That's for sure Kev. It's no wonder the transport inspectors have the occasional blitz on caravans, they have become far too big and heavy for a lot of the vehicles towing them. People buy a tow vehicle with 3500 kg towing capacity, load it with close to a tonne of gear and still expect to be able to tow a 3.5t caravan.

Jeff

blair and kev209 like this.
  10. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Not only that they expect to tow them at 100ks plus, and most have never driven big rigs before. I average 2 to 3 thousand ks a week in my job, which sadly has taken some of the joy out of travelling for me. But the van will be great for fishing, as long as Sal will tow the boat.
    Cheers Pete

blair, kev209 and diesel like this.
  11. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Pete, I've had some of those big rigs go past me at speeds well in excess of 120 plus. The last time we crossed the Nullarbor we had a good tail wind helping us along and I could comfortably sit on 100kmh towing our 17' off-road pop-top without using an excessive amount of fuel and we had other caravanners go past us like we were standing still.

The bride snapped the pic below of a road train overtaking us and I estimated his speed to be somewhere around 120 and within seconds of him slotting back in front of us, he was overtaken by an F250 dragging one of those big 5th wheeler units resembling a block of flats. The road train driver told me over the uhf that the F250 would have been doing well over 140 and the scary bit was that we were approaching a left hand curve where the F250 driver could not possibly see if there was anything coming.

152.JPG

Jeff

blair, Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  12. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    LOL Tail winds do help. If he was doing 120 , the rig was highly illegal. All our bigger stuff including even Rosa and Coaster buses are speed limited. However every time one of our Rosa buses came back from a certain renter , the speed limiter would be inoperative, much better for over taking speedeuppers on dual lanes, but illegal. One time the excepted caravan towing speed was 80, i realise modern vans are much better, but get a sway up at anything over 100 , and you better start praying.
    I find the best economy/ speed blend was 90 to 95, depending on head winds etc.
    Cheers Pete

13. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    When I lived in Ceduna, I occasionally spoke to caravanners who said that they had a horror run across the Nullarbor because of pushing into a head wind and I would ask 'why didn't you wait for a tail wind?' Apart from those in a hurry to get across, very few of them realised that our atmospheric pressure systems in the southern part of Oz move from west to east, so invariably the head winds become side winds and then tail winds. I would sooner push into a head wind than a side wind when towing the van and like you and most 'vanners, the speed sweet spot when towing is usually 90 to 95.

As for speed limiters on heavy transport, I know what you are saying about being rendered inoperable. Long haul road trains are notorious for disabling them and it seems that they get away with it.

Jeff

14. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I haven't seen a 100 Km/h limited sticker on the rear of truck or trailer for years
    images.jpg

blair, Old fisho and diesel like this.
  15. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I forgot to mention how many early model caravans, campers and made up mobile homes we saw on the Highway.

blair, Old fisho and diesel like this.
  16. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    And that one doesn't compare to the 54m, five trailer rigs we've seen up north.
    My Jeep is rated to tow 3.5t but has a ball tow rating of 3t. Many we've met had no idea that tow rates for balls can vary. Our favourite van was a 20' Roadstar and it towed like a dream. Loaded it was 2.5t. The sweet spot on those appropriate long, flat, straight roads, was 97kmh. It's a 4.7ltr V8, so we used a bit of fuel. I don't mind that. The fuel consumption difference between towing and normal driving was small so it didn't matter. While loafing along at 1700rpm, it would never wear out. It has two overdrives and the moment we got into hills and rises, I switched the overdrives out. Without that, too many automatic gear shifts were made and only once, on our first run with it, I had the transmission overheat light come on while going through some steep stuff. It took only minutes to cool down.
    My story is that if you're going for a bit of a holiday, you can do it in a tiny caravan. When you practically live in it for so long, the creature comforts become more important. We generally stayed in places longer than many too, so for us at least, that added to the desire to have more comforts. It was a habit to take a photo of every free camp we used or caravan park sign, and records show we have now stayed in over 400 places.
    Noel
    Misses life on the road.

17. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016

This is the sticker on the back of my van.

WIN_20200129_07_17_47_Pro.jpg

Jeff

18. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    We once sat at Eucla for three days because of strong head winds.

blair, kev209 and diesel like this.
  19. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I used to do anywhere up to 10 trips (not towing) a year from Ceduna to Esperance or Kalgoorlie when I lived in South Oz and would often time my trips to get an easterly tail wind to prevent some of the 'ouch' on the wallet. I would often see caravanners lined up at Eucla waiting for the wind to change - the smart ones.

It's strange how a lot of people do not consider wind direction when doing a long distance run. It doesn't matter if it's land, sea or air travel, the wind has a huge effect. Another stretch where travellers don't think of pushing into a head wind is the Barkley Highway NT, Three ways to Camooweal - notorious for easterly winds in the dry season and the only way to avoid them if heading east is to night drive. Great when heading west though.

Jeff

20. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    We drove that road several times and usually overnighted at Camooweal where some great fun nights eventuated but we've only driven it east to west and had some great wind assistance.
    Perhaps the best steak of my entire life was at the Camooweal pub.
    Noel

blair, diesel and kev209 like this.