1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

NOW IS THE HOUR

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Old fisho, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Most would know that song by that name. Its real name is ‘The Maori Farewell’ and that is what this is; farewell. I am leaving TBX but not for any more than personal reasons. I like the place.

I am struggling at present. To walk to the back yard; about 30m there and back leaves me short of breath. Late yesterday I walked out onto the road out front to try and photograph some sky colours. Going back inside three minutes later I was gasping for breath at the front door.

I’ve had three surgical procedures in the past few months and there’s another coming soon. The odds of its success are not good. After that there’s only one option. That’s another operation but it’s a six hour job with a 1:3 chance of not making the distance. The cardiac man tells it is 200 times more difficult for him and 400 times more dangerous at this end. At the moment I’m unsure about going down that path.

I am almost convinced I have caught my last fish; driven the boat for the last time and will start trying to sell all my gear including the caravan. After years of wandering (about 130,000kms) I don’t mind selling that. We’ve driven further and seen more than most could dream of so there are many good memories and no regrets.

Of course I shall miss TBX. Of course I shall miss the guys I’ve yarned with for a few years now. Several have become personal friends even though our mate Kev is the only one I’ve met. I wish I’d met more but distance is an enemy sometimes when you want to communicate in person. We are certainly spread all over this side of Australia.

It’s been my pleasure to have known you guys as long as I have. You might even heave a sigh of relief to not have my seemingly endless waffle on the site. Sorry about that. When I start to write things go into overdrive. It’s the writers curse.

Meantime I wish you all well. May your rods stay bent and your lines be always tight.

If I might also say something special in closing: ‘God bless’. Old fisho Noel

2. Hen and Chook

Hen and Chook Active Member

Sep 9, 2009
    I'm so sorry to hear this Noel. You will be sorely missed by all of us on Tacklebox and I've loved reading all of your posts over the past few years. I truly hope all goes well for you in the future and that we may see you back on here again soon.

Good luck Mate.

Chook

3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    That is very sad news, you will definitely be missed on TBX. Lyn and I will never forget meeting you & Jean, we had a great day. You have been an inspiration for me, when I have a dad day I think of what you have achieved. Not many would even think of doing our last trip to Darwin. Take things easy old mate, I will keep in touch.

4. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thank you. Some things like knowing you and Lyn need never change. N

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    What are we all going to do without your jokes? Hope all works out for the best, Noel. Cheers, creekboy (Lyall).

6. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I will sorely miss you old mate, and while I have never meet you in person,I feel as though i know you well.
    My thoughts and prayers will be with you, and while casting a flyline I will have be thinking of you.
    Best wishes mate.
    Cheers Pete.

7. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Very well put Pete.

Old fisho, Madfisher and creekboy like this.
  8. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I spoke to Noel earlier today, and he would like to pass on his sincere thank to those who contacted him after his post yesterday. I honestly do not think he has left TBX. He is just having a break. TBX can't loose family members like him.

9. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    X2, Kev. Cheers, Lyall.

Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  10. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    You will be missed Noel, cheers davo

Old fisho, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  11. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I see you have not been on since Tuesday and I regret not responding earlier. Unless you have to walk 30 metres to your computer, I see no reason to leave TBX. As for some members breathing a sigh of relief...that will not happen. It is obviously your decision in the end whether you remain here or not but you will be missed if you leave.
    cheers
    Jim

12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Dame Nellie Melba reportedly had many returns. Old Kev has had two. After being humbled by members kindnesses in the past couple of days; hopefully I'm allowed one.

I have to reduce activities in most areas of that I am certain. I know I am fairly seriously at risk at present. The medico says the current problems are almost certain to cause a heart attack in the foreseeable and he doubts I would survive it. Nor is he capable of preventing it yet. It's a rather sobering thought. There is still no prospect of a cure of course. He has and I don't know how, disconnected the top half of the heart from the lower part as they were competing while working at vastly different rates. They should be totally in sync. That is worrying him more than anything.

Perhaps in considering opting out from TBX was wrong. My Boss here says it's something I can still do, even if at a lesser level but while being unable to fish is not totally guaranteed; it's highly possible. Without that there's probably not much I could contribute in the future.

Meantime with great respect for those who have written and phoned; plus those on here with kind words; I'll try and stick around a while.

Thanks to everyone; your support is valued. Noel

13. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Best news I've had all week.

creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  14. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    I am with Kev and Jim on this one. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  15. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Me to mate, your wisedom is to good not to be shared. I am sure u also have many fishing storys from days past that are worth telling, when u are up to it.