1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

NZ trout flies pics.

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, May 11, 2018.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Blair; pic one is the original; I got. Monty says the other one is bigger. Don't know if that's in dimensions as in resized, or perhaps changed the pixel count. No matter, here they are. Cannot upload the second one. Will try sending it in a following post. Must exceed the limit for this site. Noel. pic 1.JPG

creekboy and AJ Fishman like this.
  2. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Trying with second image. Will try further and resize it. You may be able to expand it when you receive.

If you open it in 'paint' you may be able to expand it back to the full size. Don't know for certain. Noel. pic 2 paint.jpg

AJ Fishman, blair and creekboy like this.
  3. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    If you click on the image it will probably give you same result. N

creekboy likes this.
  4. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    That's quite a range of flies you have there, Noel. Very impressive. Cheers, Lyall.

Old fisho likes this.
  5. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    They're not actually mine Lyall. I gave all mine to the bloke who supplied the photo, when I decided to not do NZ again. I probably had an even bigger range after 12-14 trips over there and of course you carry quite a few of them all. I still shudder when I see the number of trout flies in my boxes at Eucumbene. Even worse is the massive collection of materials for tying them. I'd hate to buy it in one lot. It's a collection built over at least thirty-five years. Combining wet and dry flies; they cover at least eight different hook sizes and almost as many styles or shapes of hooks. Add over 40 different types and colours of silk threads, all sorts of body materials; to say nothing of the expensive bits like high grade hackles for dry flies in a range of colours. I haven't bought one for years now, but it used to cost around $100 for a Metz or Colorado hackle; so son and I would split one in half. That way we could have a large range of colours for half the price. It's a fascination hobby that I am pleased to have enjoyed. Noel.

Madfisher and creekboy like this.
  6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    got the pics mate, click on the 2nd one and zooms in nicely, good detail a lot very similar to aussie nymphs, I can see the massive 23 gram (heh heh) tungsten bead head on one of them. it looks they would be easy to tie is the hydro hustler in there?
    I seen some of them on the website u mentioned.
    I have been eyeing off the neck feathers on my 2 ginger coloured chooks I believe they make good hackles. not sure how things would go whith my boss though if they start getting baldy necks, I could just say they have been fighting a lot.
    I reckon I have a whole tackle shop stuffed into my boat and I will need a bigger ammo box to fit my fly tieing kit in soon.probably tie some next week.
    thx and cheers

Madfisher, Old fisho and creekboy like this.