1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Ok So what was my theory?

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Master Baiter, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    yesterday I acted on a theory to find fish in Eildon and it worked land based, with a boat it would be a Killer. It is legal, because you only use hook and float to catch them once you find them. I have not tried fishing for them yet This theory worked on trout and yellow belly and I would imagine on Cod.
    Wally

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Our son went to the Pondage on Tuesday not a touch, neither did any of the other fisho's.

creekboy and diesel like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm watching this with interest Wally, apart from using an electronic fish finder to scan the water column or maybe an underwater camera such as a GoPro, I cannot come up with an answer to your question.

Jeff

4. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Me either but I like the sound of it

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Only a hook and float, no bait?

kev209, creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  6. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    This was the theory. lake Eildon has had over a million Trout fed into it in the last couple of years and over 600 thousand Cod, with a lot of brood Trout to 4 and 5 lbs, and of course bred on only pellets. So I reckoned that if you threw pellets in the fish would show up . So I bought a mixture of floating and sinking pellets. In a river mouth within a hundred metres I had two groups of Brown Trout gobbling them up. Next step work out what to use to catch them. Cheers Wally

Rod Bender, kev209, diesel and 4 others like this.
  7. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Tie a slow sinking fly. Wrap a bit of copper wire on the hook shank. Use deer hair or something for the body that will trim to a shape that looks like a pellet.
    Noel

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Master Baiter, kev209, diesel and 2 others like this.
  8. Dickson

Dickson Active Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Powerbait has always worked well for me when fishing for hatchery raised trout.

9. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Good one mate. This is true and I'm serious. Just a few weeks ago an older guy I know was telling me about his fishing exploits. He doesnt go now as he is disabled. He said similar, throw in trout pellets. But as an add on to what is mentioned here he said this "dont sneak about unseen, the trout are accustomed to relating the presence of a person throwing them in. So dont hide, show yourself on the shoreline throwing them in! They grew up expecting that. " Trout feeding time!" Gee, did you mate get this info from the same guy I know called Larry!?
    He told me about actually using that method in the Eildon Pondage.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  10. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Power bait is a top lake trout bait and my misses got her first Rainbow on it. Its Trout crack in my opinion for lake trout baits.

11. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I mostly fish family fishing lakes these days. I agree with you FVB,[Lyn and I love your Avatar] I have had good results as well using power bait for hatchery fish. I have also caught Reddies and carp on power bait. At the pondage a few years ago. There were a couple of Italian fishos throwing 1/4" screenings into the water, they were catching a few trout, I was told it was the noise of the screenings hitting the water that attracted the fish. The noise was similar to them getting fed.

12. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    That makes sense. It was from what that guy told me about the feeding pellets that got me buying the fish food to mix in my up coming dough baits.

13. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    No Chilli, when I am sitting down bait fishing my mind wanders from one thing to another. I went back yesterday with as a matter of fact some Power bait that was suggested at the fishing shop so I bought one and I took some garden and Scrubbies worms with me to try. It took me a while to find them again as they had moved or another lot up further. Now I know one thing they group together. With the power bait it seemed to be falling off I never had a bite but the hook came back empty. next I tried Scrubbies not a touch even throwing pellets in followed by Bait.
    Lastly tried Garden Worms and bang had several hits did not land one.
    I finished up throwing the Scrubbies in nothing happened, threw the remainder of the Garden Worms and they were polished off.
    To end this session I made some balls the size of a number 2 ball sinker and tossed in and they did not take any notice.
    By the way distance between 8 to 12 metres
    Wally

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    diesel, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  14. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016

Small carp and reddies I have found suck the power bait from the hook. It's very hard to detect a bite,when I use power bait I always use a size 8 or 10 treble hook.
    I don't loose as much bait and I pick up some of those bait stealing pests

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    diesel and Old fisho like this.
  15. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Yeah, the powerbait can come of easy if you dont squish it on good, but still comes off easier than most other baits regardless. I use bait keeper hooks and when I put it on squish it around the edges so you cant see any join area, all looks like one blob. And don't move it after you cast it to where you wanted it, resist that. Dragging it over the bottom will see it come off. It fishes ok under a float too, but depending on how much you put on and the hook size it can float. If you reel your line in using a sinker, look near where it was cast, if it came off itself you will see it floating, if a fish or turtle, they like it, took it it wont be floating. That way you know if you lost it to a stealth bite or it just came off. Under a float you may need a bit or two of split shot. I always have some power bait in my bag. Think of it as a one cast, leave and wait bait. If you reel in and by some chance its still there, you can almost guarantee itll come of next cast after it softened in the water. But for all those weaknesses, its still when a fish cruises past it, trout, irresistable and a top bait.

16. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Iwas using a size 16 treble for the power bait Kev

diesel, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  17. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I can just see the eye on size 10 hooks these days. I doubt I could even see a size 16 hook.

diesel, Master Baiter and Old fisho like this.
  18. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Pricking and hooking the thumb and fingers is another problem. Wally

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    diesel, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  19. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Have you tried tying a pellet to a small hook wally, what pellets work I might get some.

kev209 likes this.
  20. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Not tried yet but I bought some Gorrila glue to fiddle with and it sticks a pellet on nicely, and guess what it floats the pellet and you can put a blob on any hook and they will float . I have not tried this yet but I reckon that with a blob of glue and a dab of S factor and a worm it could be a fish catching bait.
    I am fiddeling with Selleys Kneed it as well you can shape ,cut, polish paint and make your lures active by adding or cutting slits etc.
    Wally

kev209 likes this.