1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Operation Redfin

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by diesel, Sep 2, 2019.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    In a couple of weeks time, I will once again launch an invasion on the southern states and after enjoying some success (albeit limited) on redfin near Lithgow back in 2016 I figured that as far as any freshwater fishing goes, they will be my main target species.

I had seriously considered venturing further into the unknown and crossing into Vic, but I am not seeing any reports on redfin hauls from any of our Vic members here and about the only talk about the species is on a South Oz forum with some input from one of our former active members, Tinker.

https://www.strikehook.com/index.php?/forums/topic/31008-biggest-redfin-perch/

The last time Tinker commented here on TBX was Christmas Day '16. He and others report on the other forum that some big reddies are caught in South Oz with fish over the 40cms seemingly not all that uncommon, so what has happened in Vic? Are the fish being caught not worthy of mention due to stunted size or are they just not there?

Keen to get a bit of feedback.

Jeff

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    creekboy, DeeBeeKay and kev209 like this.
  2. jedgpz

jedgpz Active Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Hey Jeff,
    With Cod season closing and the warmer weather coming I will be chasing a few reddies in our local channels here in country Vic. I go to Eildon once a year and get a few there normally.
    I have heard rumours of a 1.8 Metre one in the Shepparton Lake, Jim may have already caught it so may check with him first ;)
    Cheers
    Jed

DeeBeeKay, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks for the reply Jed.

Do reddies go off the chew during the colder months? It was December when I caught them near Lithgow and they were attacking sp's with a lot of aggression - practically every fish I hooked had 3 or 4 following right to the net. A lot of fun and surprisingly good to eat.

Jeff

creekboy, DeeBeeKay and kev209 like this.
  4. jedgpz

jedgpz Active Member

Aug 15, 2019
    I think you can still catch them, I find they slow down but then again it could be that I don't fish for them as much during winter.
    Cheers Jed

5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    a Belgium bloke I know said he used to use a live redfin for bait to catch the big redfin, back in Belgium. He is a keen fisherman last time I seen him he was doing up an ex navy boat in his back yard that used to hang off the back of I think an Australian battleship it is a long skinny thing whith large twin high speed diesels. Looks like an MTB
    He built his own fiberglass game fishing boat in his back yard previously. Some bureaurat will probably scream in terror when he launches it at Batemans Bay "look a terrorist in a military attack boat!!!!" and call in an air strike to "save" Batemans Bay.

6. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    You have crossed wires here jed! Two different stories, there was (apparently serious) reports of an 80 cm redfin lost in in the Shepp lake. The 1.8 metre fish was a cod caught in the local channels. Actually, it was a 1.08 metre cod...I didn't hear properly. :cool:
    In my more active days, I would chase them all year round. They would slow down but generally the few fish you caught were better quality.

Nowadays, the channels I fish that used to be my redfin spots, have been overun by cod! My redfin spot at Strathbogie has also slowed a lot...and there have been no fish that have taken their place unfortunately.

Some channels are still holding redfin. Last year small redfin were prevalent at times. It has been slow for me. Others do better!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Should have went to Hearing Australia!

creekboy, kev209 and DeeBeeKay like this.
  7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Back in the day when I did a lot of blue-water fishing off Port Stephens, there was an ex WW2 torpedo boat converted for fishing and I would often see it heading out through the roughest of water when all other boats wouldn't attempt the bar. I had a good look over it one day, it had a Merlin V12 supercharged engine (the same as used in Spitfires) that with just a tickle of the throttle would instantly put it up on the plane - an extremely powerful vessel made for high speed in practically any sea. Not the greatest of fishing boats, but hey, what a toy to own?

Jeff

8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback Jim, I figured if you or Davo had been catching any decent size reddies in your area then you blokes would have posted something.

Jeff

9. Albatross1

Albatross1 Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Hi Jeff, there are now stacks of redfin in lake Lyell at Lithgow, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting some there. Lots of small ones of course, but we have caught some over 350mm too. We had no trouble catching them in May when the one of the mornings was -4°C. It is funny that we had never seen or heard of them in that system until about 3 years ago. Cheers, Chris

creekboy, kev209, blair and 2 others like this.
  10. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Reddy fishing here in central Vic is not what it was several years ago. Up until 2016 you could catch all you wanted just about anywhere you went. The numbers boomed in the few years after the floods filled all the res's and lakes. But in the last couple of years the numbers have decreased significantly. The fishing for them has always been great around March April, still get them in the colder months and through summer. But I have lost count of how often I'm hearing "what's happened to the reddies?" When theyre around they are suckers for grub type plastics in pink, red or even flouro lime green. Had a crazy session on them 3 yrs back on those flouro green ones. For weeks, any time you went you got a fish or hits every cast. Nothing to get 50 to 60 fish before you called it quits as your arm got tired. Not every one was a keeper. Probably 15 of those would be though. The last 2 years has been the polar opposite though. They recently opened a res called Tullaroop to non petrol powered boats, electrics only. Yes some great fish have come out, some big reddies and trout but not in great numbers and some saying its odd, very very few small fish! Some are blaming the influx and increase of predatory birds which also boomed in numbers the years after the floods, others water quality decline. We have a couple of lakes here that through winter had serious blue green algae outbreaks. At Tullaroop it still is bad so summer aint looking good for that one.

creekboy, kev209, DeeBeeKay and 2 others like this.
  11. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks for the info, Chris. I haven't fished Lake Lyell, but did well on the reddies at Wang Dam. I might give Lyell a go on this trip, what's it like for setting up camp in an off-road caravan?

I was using el-cheapo Chinese grubs in bright yellow and they worked well, tried some ZMan in motor oil and they wouldn't touch them.

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  12. Albatross1

Albatross1 Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Jeff there is good camping (right near the waters edge if you want) at the Lake Lyell Recreation Park, but there is also other areas of water access (no amenities) at the end of Sir Thomas Mitchell Drive further upstream, however it looks a bit steep and I suspect that the road in is more suited to 4WD vehicles. I have only viewed this area when driving past in my boat. Cheers, Chris

kev209 and diesel like this.
  13. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    kev209 and diesel like this.
  14. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I have just swapped out the rods in my car, the cod rods have been put away and the lighter lure and soft plastic rods have been put in. My reddie hunting will start anytime now although a bit more water/flow in the channels would help. Also have the yella rod sitting waiting for a trip out,:). There is a creek just down the road that also features some nice reddies, cheers davo.

kev209, Rod Bender and diesel like this.
  15. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Once again Chris & Chili, thanks for the info.

Chris, any camp right near water sounds good to me. The camp we had at Wang Dam was great until the weekend hordes arrived, but I guess you get that just about anywhere these days.

Chili, I'm not overly keen on ZMan sp's, Squidgys are okay, but my favourites would be Charlie Brewer 3" Sliders & the smaller Crappie Sliders.

Jeff

16. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Hmmm, so there are still some good reddies in that part of the country.

The only thing that could possibly stop me from crossing into Vic is the place is full of bloody Victorians and worse still, some of them are full blown barking mad Collingwood supporters :D.

Jeff

17. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Haha yeah I know what you mean, I'm married to one,:rolleyes: cheers davo

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  18. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    hi Albatross, I used to fish Lyle a bit was a really good brown trout fishery for a while do u know what the trout fishing is like there these days. Apparently there is a lot of bass in there as well.
    cheers

Madfisher, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  19. jedgpz

jedgpz Active Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Nar I remember you told me the rumour Jim a long time ago....
    May be you had exaggerated........
    :p
    Jed

20. Albatross1

Albatross1 Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Hi Blair, I last fished Lyell in May at the ANSA comp and, while there were both browns and rainbows caught, it was the first time that more bass than trout were caught along with heaps of redfin (mostly small). I'm not sure why, as it has fished well for trout in previous years. I managed to get a nice bass of over 400mm to the fork and they are super fat up there. I am more of a bass fisherman, so it didn't worry me too much. Cheers, Chris

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.