1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Our Easter Run to Boyseys

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Got Buckley's, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Got Buckley's

Got Buckley's Queanbeyan NSW

Jul 25, 2008
    Gday fellas,

Well what a weekend, those of you that have been on TBX for a while would be aware of fellow member Boyseys old mans dams, you know the ones we are all jealous of when pete tells his yarns ? well i finally had the chance to get away and take up Boyseys invite. Headed up easter saturday with John H.

[​IMG]

Had a good day on the big dam where I missed a good yella early in the day before being smashed by a little bass on SB, which was my first so i was happy with that. John landed a little silver after near on falling out of the boat with his first bass hook up :lol: Boysey showed us how it was done on the small blades and landed a handfull.

[YOUTUBE]zS9YFXWjwJE[/YOUTUBE]​

The dam pretty much shut down during the afternoon so things got tough on the arm but pete mentioned that we could go and land a big Silver on bread if we wanted to,he said he could almost guarantee a silver. He also mentioned that if I didnt want to bait fish i could throw a lure for one of the big yellas that are in there or one of the two cod that were put in there 30 years back, So who was I to knock that back.

Well twenty cast in as the silvers started going nuts on the bread burley, i was smacked mid retreive and i knew this wasnt a big silver as it was on.

( may be a few naughty words, think i got them all, but there was alot of editing in both vids :lol:)
    [YOUTUBE]Q7F1RW9dDS0[/YOUTUBE]​

First thing that went through my mind was the 17lb leader as i knew he had some in him,and then seeing the leader going deep into his mouth I was worried:unsure: But with Pete's help it was as done and dusted a few pic's and a bit of a swim he was away. So thats the second time he has ever been caught and I was the lucky bugger who got the chance :) ( and after a measure of the rod mark pete, i would guess just over on 115cm, so its a good chance that he is same cod you landed in the past??? or is there two that big?? )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I got to eyeball a yella,landed my first my bass, my first silver on lure ( and smoked by a coulpe of big silvers on SB) and cracked the 1m mark, what a bloody special day. And I was wrapped that Petes old man John was there so he could see the fish he had put in all them years ago :)

Thanks for the hospitallity Pete,its not that often you are made to feel at home like we were. Be sure to pass on the thanks to your parents.

Horry tells me that farm dam cod dont count on the scoreboard, but ill be taking that one ;)

cheers

2. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Bucks that is a very special weekend, congratulations mate and congrats to Boysey for having such a fantastic dam!
    To say I'm jealous is an understatement.

3. TomtButters5

TomtButters5 Just one more cast

Nov 30, 2009
    Nice one bucks ;), is that big cod missing his eye?? sounds like a good time fishin.

4. mitchmcm

mitchmcm Member

Feb 2, 2010
    wow sounds like a weekend and a half. that sorta fishing would be a once in a life for me. well done

5. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    It sure was a great weekend. I think the verdict is still out on whether Buck rocked the boat when I lost that first bass. :p

It was a magnificent sight to see the big cod caught and released to live a few more years.

Big thanks to Pete and his Dad for allowing us the pleasure to fish at his place. You can't beat country hospitality, with a wonderful lamb roast and a warm bed to retire to after many red wines. (if I posted this on Sunday I wouldn't be thanking Pete for the red wines. I think the last bottle was off as it made me a bit fuzzy around the edges the next day)

6. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    that is awesome mate. all i can say is it makes the dams i fish seem sad. they had cod yellas cattys bass trout and silvers put in them but cod have just dominated and eaten the rest out. good to see ya had such a great time.

7. Arn09

Arn09 New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Well done all, as far a a 1m in the dam not counting ha good luck telling me that when it happens! We have a big dam like that close to here. Old Clive started it many years ago when fisheries couldn't even breed cod and it's chockas with cod and yellas. Great fun

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    great stuff mate well deserved

9. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Brilliant report Guys!
    Wow! So envious!

10. boysey

boysey New Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Hey Buck,
    It was great that you and John came up for a couple of days. I was confident of you catching a few fish but never expected that big fella. I might mention that it was an excellent bit of angling. You were only using 17lb leader and that dam is full of weed. I have lost many silver perch because of that weed so you did very well.
    I have added a photo of a cod caught in the dam a year ago. He was 113cm long but seems a different colour to yours. We caught another cod (no photo) that was the approx same length but I remember thinking it was a different fish.
    The yella on the brag mat has grown to 38cm in 26 months which is a pretty good result. The other photo is my 11 yr old nephew with his first ever fish standing in front of his grandad who had the foresight to stock these dams many years ago. He was so pleased to see you catch that cod. He hasn't stopped talking about it since!
    And finally thanks for the lures they look great. Can't wait to land my first cod on them.
    And John, don't blame me for the red wine flu. It sneaks up on me everytime I go out to the farm. :lol:
    Cheers
    Pete

11. RyKnOw

RyKnOw New Member

Sep 16, 2009
    top stuff bucks n john h!

12. mooredup

mooredup New Member

Jan 4, 2010
    congrats on cracking the metrey Bucks... top spot and looks amazing... many jealousness from this side of the fence.... top stuff!!!! and well done John as well couple of nice stories there for you as well

13. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    boysey that cod in your photo also doesnt seem to have the damage to its right eye.

14. Jordo

Jordo New Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Nice fish mate, saw a picture of a bloke that caught a monster from the deep of glenlyon dam over easter the thing was about 5+ foot long not bull was the biggest cod ive ever seen in my life. There alot of monsters in glenlyon though but in my life ive never seen one like that, old mad says back in the 70's and 80's they used to pull them out so big you could put a 20 litre drum in their mouth, dunno if theres any truth behind it but this big fell would make you believe.

15. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    jordo mate reckon you could get a copy of the pic? that one of bucks is a monster considering its from a farm dam!

16. Jordo

Jordo New Member

Dec 28, 2009
    yeah im workin on getting the pic man, i dont know the bloke but my mate does and i think it was on his fone, but it could be on his camera i sent him a txt anyway. the colour of it is fantastic, deep rich green aye, just like all the ones you pull out of the severn or the dumaresq

17. Got Buckley's

Got Buckley's Queanbeyan NSW

Jul 25, 2008
    he was in a bad way,two cast sunday morning and he headed back for a lay down in the car :lol:. I was crook myself but i think the thumping big silvers following my SB to my feet was enough to get me motivated to keep casting ( by christ they get stuck in when they hit you lure them big silvers :wacko: )

And I would like to think that there are two big cod in there, one thing for sure is that they wouldnt be short of a feed.

Cheers

18. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    jordo it sounds amazing! do you know what depth it was at? and they look great with that colouring unlike most the giant cod they catch in the murray which are a less attractive looking creamy white colour although still great fish nonetheless!

19. PhilR

PhilR New Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Fantastic report boys, you might get a few sneaky followers next time you head off to the dam.

20. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    awesome stuff guys, what a fantastic Dam :)