1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Out with the old, in with the new.

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by diesel, Mar 17, 2019.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Back in my early years of fishing I experienced a few catastrophic failures with 2 piece rods and I developed a dislike for them. In fact, there was a time when I refused point blank to use anything but a single piece rod and that led to me accumulating a collection of rods in the 7 to 12 feet range that were great to use, but a pain in the butt to transport and store.

Fast forward a few decades and my attitude towards 2 piece rods changed after using one of my mate's carbon fibre light spin outfits and I became a convert. During the past 10 years I have purchased a few 2 piece rods that I really like using, they are easy to transport and just as easy to store, but I have always been reluctant to get rid of the old one piece sticks.

Well, to cut a long story short, I stood at the gate yesterday with a sad look as I watched all my single piece rods go to a new home. The bride was a bit concerned that I had gone troppo and I must admit that I was having similar thoughts after realising that I now owned only 8 fishing rods - the first time in probably 30 years that my arsenal was down in the single figures. :(

So what now?

It's shopping time. :D

Jeff

2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    When I first read the title, I wondered if it was about the 'bride'!:) Anyway, I prefer single piece rods after problems years ago with 2 piece rods separating whilst casting. But these were cheap rods. I don't think you will have trouble with rods today, at least not cheap rods anyway. Make sure they are joined properly. Hold the rod vertical and tap the butt on the ground or your boot to ensure it is joined.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Not befriending any ladies soon!:cool:

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Haha :)

I will suggest it to her, but if you never hear from me again then it didn't go down all that well.

Jeff

Rod Bender likes this.