1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Problematic braid!

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, May 6, 2018.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all,
    Yep...another braid thread on a fishing forum!o_O I have a few reels to spool up and already have purchased a few different brands of braid and am still happy to try some other names. Not meaning to be negative (but I will be), I am after any comments from anyone who has had a shocker of an experience with any particular brand of braid and you will never touch it again! One that I should avoid at all costs!

I have had no problems with the few brands I have used but I just want to upgrade from the 4 strand Fins and Power Pro that I have used.
    cheers
    Jim

2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I haven't used a hell of a lot of different brands, Jim, but the one I had the most trouble with was Sunline on a Stradic 2500. Every time I used the reel I ended up with wind knots - it could have been user error and not necessarily the braid itself, but after changing the line to Fins Original PRT, I never had a problem. I use Fins on my baitcasters and very satisfied with the brand. I have gone back to using quality mono on my spin reels.

Jeff

3. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Gee Ive tried nearly every brand on the market and the worst by far would be Fins Original PRT, Fins Wind Tamer, Spiderwire, Berkley Fireline and Sunline Super PE- all of the gave me wind knots and multiple tangles, and the Spiderwire had faded and used to break off on a cast but it was only a few weeks old back then so I stopped using it. Very poor quality I was less than impressed with the Spiderwire overall than any other brand.

Im using the good ol Rovex in all sizes up to and including 30lb and PowerPro in 40/50/80lb, I buy from Dinga or Motackle when they have the bulk spools in stock and they last several reels and several years :)
    I like the Rovex I buy in 1500yd or 1km bulk spools for the 15/20/30lb and the rest in 300m spools so plenty to fill my smaller reels, has good knot strength and is fairly abrasion resistant, and breaks well above the rating so its a winner for me... I will continue to use it as I still have several spools and I will be respooling most of my beach reels over winter. I guess I will have to wait and see if I bother changing over but I guess my only options are PowerPro and the like- I refuse to buy Jigging braids like Jerry Brown and colour change braid it is just useless to me and also too expensive.

On a budget the PowerPro and Rovex in the 1km and 2km spools are best value IMHO esp when spooling up several large spin reels I still have the same PowerPro on all my baitrunners after 4 full seasons and still hold big fish and sharks with no fraying even though its quite faded it still super strong.

Hope this helps

Old fisho, creekboy, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  4. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I have never used braid and never will. Mono has only let me down when I stuff up, so if it aint broke, don't fix it. Cheers, creekboy (Lyall).

5. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I run braid in all the reels I fish plastics with. My first
    braid
    venture was with a Stren line. What a mess!!! No way could I get it to work. I had bunches of grapes in the line that would have weighed a kilo in a supermarket checkout. I tried. I seriously tried, but do what I might the problem continued. Went back to the shop and explained (not complained) my situation and was told many swear by the same line. It had to go.
    At the time I read that Kay Bush of Squidgy fame used only Berkley Fireline and only in the grey/smoke colour. I respect his knowledge and his ability as a fisher, so decided to give it a go. I have no regrets. Using 4lb braid, with 6lb fluorocarbon leaders (Berkley Vanish) for casting plastics; I have boated salmon over 8lb; flatties over a metre; plus a 22+lb jewie before Christmas on those fine lines. Add to that some pretty solid trevally and even some fairly large rays. What more can I ask? I have never had a knot fail and all my lines are now several years old. When on the water my lines are never still. They work all the time and I have complete faith in them. To my mind that is the key. You must have confidence in what you have and it will work for you.

On the smaller rods that are mostly used (1-2kg) I have
    Shimano 1000 Seidos and they have done millions of revolutions without fault. They are no longer made. The larger rods in the boat are only 1-3kg but are loaded with 6lb braid; same type as others. Noel

creekboy, Rod Bender and diesel like this.
  6. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    funny how different people have differing experiences with all kinds of stuff .....

Noel I use stren microfuse exclusively for my bream fishing 2lb and 4lb and have

done for about 8 years and never had a problem and I use 1.8g and 2.2g jig heads .

and for the heavier type of fishing I use daiwa jbraid beautiful stuff to use it is and

on my 10' surf spin rod with a 5000 size shimano I have been using rovex KOR 8 carier

braid and it has been given a absolute flogging sometimes the FG knot doesn't get retied

for months and it has never let me down ..

Rod Bender, creekboy and diesel like this.
  7. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Whether or not my Stren was microfuse; I have no idea. It must be twenty years ago now. Braids were just becoming popular then and it's highly likely that all makers are now producing better products. Added to that; there are some subtle differences in the way we use them and possibly my problem was my own ignorance. But Hey--- you can't blame yourself for all your problems. Most of us prefer to have a scapegoat. Regardless; for my type of fishing; braid has no peer. I seriously believe I'd miss a lot of fish if I was using mono. I also think that these days I could probably handle any brand without hassles. Perhaps I wasn't always that competent.

Memory suggests mono was coming into vogue around seventy years ago. (It too has seen some fantastic changes during those years).
    For the bait fishers among us, I'm pretty certain that mono does an excellent job; as it has done for a long time now.
    Changing to braid would probably make little difference to their catch rate. But the key to it all is still belief and confidence in what you use. The brand names pale into insignificance over time. With many products we regularly see a small number of companies making many products that wear different name badges. Yes; it's amazing how different some of our stories are. Noel.

creekboy likes this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I think my own bad experiences with braid on spin gear have been more to do with a lack of patience and a failure to persist. There are some things in life where I apply the philosophy of "if first you don't succeed, then give up" and braided fishing line on spin reels fell into that category. I love the stuff on my baitcasters though.

Perhaps I should have another crack at it - I will ponder this over a large mug of green ginger wine tonight :rolleyes:.

Jeff

creekboy likes this.
  9. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    the main problem with braid users is a lot of people over fill their spools
    and when a cast is made more than one loop of line comes off the spool and it either ends up wrapped around a guide or ends up in a mini birds nest if 5 or more loops come of .
    I only fill up to within about 1mm of the vertical part of the spool and don't lose any casting distance because of it
    oh and under that 25lb shock leader is 20lb finns PRT it ties the best braid knots I have ever seen and can handle
    a lot more abrasion and continued shock than any braid I have ever used but it is not a finesse type line not even in
    the lighter weight line .

IMG_4616 (Medium).JPG IMG_4617 (Medium).JPG

creekboy and diesel like this.
  10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    What's your opinion on the Sustain, Tac?

Jeff

creekboy and Tackleberry like this.
  11. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    bwaahahahaha I i'm an idiot when I seen this I went to my diary and I couldn't find anything
    so I thought I was losing it , as there was a brand opf braid I ain't tried yet and then I thought you
    knob he is talking about the reel :) .....
    my bad ........
    ok diesel it is an old sustain so no better than a stradic IMHO but that's just me ......

I mean just look at my most favourite reel (biomaster) on the snapper it is nothing more than a 5000 stradic FI

with a fancy spool with carbon drag washers but I got it cheap ......

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    creekboy and diesel like this.
  12. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've been thinking about getting a 5000 size reel and still undecided whether to go with a Sustain or chuck some extra bucks in and get a Twinpower - there's not a lot of difference in specs between the 2, but I guess the extra couple of hundred dollars relates to quality & durability. I was a whisker away from buying a Stella a few weeks ago, but came to my senses when I considered that for the same outlay I could be taking home a new 3 metre flat bottom Quintrex punt.

It's tourist season up here and I pick up a bit of cash selling sapphires - helps to provide me with those 'must have toys' that I want :D.

Jeff

Tackleberry and creekboy like this.