1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

re-fit of my Haines V16R

Discussion in 'Boats' started by reelaxation, Sep 14, 2016.

1. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Hi Everyone,

Over the coming year I plan to do some modifications and replace some components in my Haines and in need of advice on a few things...

1. Carpet replacement- I will be replacing the carpet ASAP and at the moment my current carpet has a rubber backing and it can be removed. I want the new carpet glued in so I can pressure hose it off after a session... What is the best glue and application method I should be using when I attempt to replace the carpet???

2. Bimini replacement- sadly my original bimini has ripped and I am up for a replacement. As my current bimini was custom made I am finding that I can either buy the material top or I can replace the whole shebang... My current setup is bolted to the grab rail above my windscreen and its very high making it easy to fish but doesn't give very much shade... Should I get a whole new kit or just replace the material with one that is a similar size that I can retro fit onto my existing framework???

3. Back seating- I have been looking into adding a fold down back seat. Would I use marine ply cut to the required dimensions then seal it and add some cushions and grab rails for safety??? Anyone done this themselves and do you have photos of the end result???

4. Replacing side pockets- My side pockets have gone a bit soft and I think they are ply covered in carpet which is the same as the floor... I want to replace these with thick marine ply which I am yet to decide how I will cover... Should I fibreglass the marine ply or is there some other product similar to those used on marine seats I could use and how would I achieve this???

5. Underfloor storage- I am also keen to fit some underfloor storage/esky, has anyone completed this before and what should I be aware of before I start cutting my deck up???What materials will I need to make an underfloor storage/esky area so it is sealed in properly???....

Maybe I could get someone to do a few of these things professionally but I am looking for the overall satisfaction of doing most stuff myself if possible and I plan to make majority of this work to be undertaken over winter next year, so I have plenty of time to think about options and how to plan.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Anthony
    :D

Hen and Chook likes this.
  2. Wunderlust

Wunderlust Active Member Admin

Jul 9, 2007
    Hi Anthony,

Can't answer all your question.. here's my thoughts

I went through the same thing eventually went down the route of having a removable for easy of cleaning . I bought some of the marine carpet from Bunnings when on special and can hang up when I remove at home to dry. I;'ve an inboard so on the raised section I have put some of the velcro strips on the fibre glass and on the back of the mat, so far have lastest over a year so all good.

I just bought the marine sealant for woods, four coatings of this and then added the material. Seems to work well.

3. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Thanks Tim, I have been looking at both 9mm and 12mm Marine Ply for the side pockets @ bunnings, then seal it with Epoxy resin (which my mate has offered to do) then cover it in Marine Vinyl to finish off which I will glue down with Sikaflex.

Any left over marine ply I can probably use to make up a back seat... and just buy extra Vinyl and some good quality foam for the inserts and some stainless hinges and legs from bunnings which I can cut to size with an angle grinder... SO that's turned out pretty good and will save me some coin on getting them made up from a marine trimmer or upholsterer.

I will ask around about the carpet solution as I can find a place that does 1m, 2m, 3m, 4m and 5m cut and delivered for under $200 and its all UV/Fire/acid rated... I do think gluing it in will be better in the long run but I will have a chat to a few mates and get their advice also...

While I am on the subject of upgrades I have decided to buy a whole new bimini including poles and I will mount it from scratch and keep the old one for parts if required... Nice and easy decision now just to find one the right dimensions and height from my mounting point/s and then get it and install it.

I'm still researching the underfloor storage/esky solutions there are a few places that sell pre-made polyethylene or fibreglass units you just cot the hole and mount using stainless marine screws. Alternatively I could look at a custom made solution and I can look into these with a few local boat builders up my way or down in Sydney.

Hen and Chook and Wunderlust like this.