1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Rear drag spin reels.

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    Many years ago I used rear drag spin reels (not to be confused with baitrunners) but then I went away from them when I upgraded. Some research I did at the time suggested that the rear drag was not as smooth as the front drag. I tried mine at the time and this seemed to be the case. Now I have returned to the dark side! I purchased these two Shimano Exage reels a while ago and they are close to hitting the water.
    rear drag reels.JPG
    This model comes with a spare spool as well which is handy and they are 'push button' release. I will use them in freshwater chasing trout or redfin.

I think the Exage may have been exclusive to Tackleworld and the local store does not have any left. Rear drag reels are not found that much in tackle stores...not around here anyway. Although the baseline spin reel, Shimano IX, is usually stocked and is a rear drag reel. However, overseas you can obtain rear drag versions of many Shimano models. The best thing I like about the Exage is the drag lever.
    drag lever.JPG
    You set the drag and leave the lever on top. I rarely change my drag setting when fighting a fish but this lever allows you to do it easy...and then return to the pre-set position if need be.

I am looking forward to using them. Does anyone else use rear drag spin reels?
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Does things backwards!

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Never used one, Jim, I was close to buying one a few years back, but couldn't see the advantage in them. From what I read about them, the drag is nowhere near as positive and efficient as a front drag reel which stands to reason considering the mechanics of both types of drag.

What size reels are those in the pics and what is the specified drag weight? They appear to be 1000 ???

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Sizes are 1 x 1000 and 1 x 2500. I had a look at the specs and nothing is listed in regards to pressure. As I mentioned, I could tell the difference when I did a comparison. Hence why I went away from them.

I saw these in a local tackle store a while ago and was hit by a wall of nostalgia. :cool: But I do like the drag lever. You should buy one!!!:)
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Expecting a new member to appear soon....Mrs Diesel...who may be abusive towards me!:(

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I found some info on the reels from another Tackle World website. The Exage 1000 has a max of 2kg drag which is only 1kg less than say a Nasci 1000 at 3kg, but the Exage 2500 at 3kg is way under most 2500 reels that are usually up around 7 to 9kg.

I reckon both of your reels would be great for flats fishing for whiting and flathead because of the preset drag feature.

Mate, you are definitely on her hit list :D

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Jim This is quoted from the English Angling Times.
    Regarding the performance of the different types of drag systems – front drag reels have the edge over rear drag reels simply because the mechanics of the drag don’t have to run all the way through the reel’s body – they are positioned right on the end of the spool. This means that front drag reels are slightly more effective than rear drag models. Maybe this is why so many of our top-flight match anglers prefer front drag reels. Rear drag models are the most popular among pleasure anglers, while front drag reels are the favourite among lure anglers and increasingly popular among match anglers.

6. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    They are easier to adjust with a fish on (as I recall). Cheers, Lyall.

diesel, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Thats a good point there Lyall

diesel and kev209 like this.