1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Reel Lubricant?????

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by diesel, Mar 21, 2018.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Had a mate drop a new reel in for me to have a look at, a new mid price range baitcaster from a well known brand starting with Sh. He said that it didn't feel right, very scratchy as if it had no lubricant. I stripped it down and he was correct, no lubricant whatsoever.

It would appear that it came from the factory like that and makes you wonder how many others may slip through.

Jeff

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  2. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Hi Jeff, just looking at some older posts, my 1 year old curado 200hg that I just rebearinged whith jap bearings was also "lubricantless" clutch was starting to get stiff and on the point of failing, no grease to be seen anywhere so I have applied plenty of grease now and reel is running well. the real is susceptible to water and dirt getting in easily but it casts well.
    have been enjoying going through all my reels and lubing them up, like having all new reels! do u think the reel in pic needs a clean and lube mate?
    cheers

Attached Files:

3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    G'day Blair, the first things I do with a new reel is wipe all the drool off it and then I completely strip it, not just to apply my own lubricant, but to be fully familiar with all the components in the event of worse case scenario of having to pull it apart away from my work bench.

I use a polymer lithium grease very sparingly on bearings and Quantum Hot Sauce oil for other moving parts.

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    u sound like me mate I love pulling apart reels I feel like I am reliving my childhood when I used to pull reels apart to see how they work, good way to get mechanical knowledge. do all my own mechanical work on cars etc, now that I am semi retired I have the time to enjoy fiddling about whith my gear, yay.
    That's a good way to know your reel, stripping it down immediately the drool probably removes any dust that may be on it too! I am drooling at websites whith curado k,s on them lately I think I know what the family is getting me for xmas , first thing I will do is find out where the extra bearing is.
    Have been thinking about using the hot sauce have u noticed much difference In performance . What brand of grease do use use and do u know a way of getting grease or oil into a sealed ball bearing the ones whith the stainless steel covers.
    I was thinking of putting hot sauce on ball bearings and grease on other parts . have been using diawa reel oil in handy needle dispenser and Wilson grease both form BCF.
    cheers

diesel, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  5. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    This post revives memories of the past, thanks boys. Cheers, Lyall.

diesel and kev209 like this.
  6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Hi Lyall ,your welcome bud,what type of reels are u using mate and are u a reel disasemble/reasembler as well?
    cheers

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    That's a tough one to answer, Blair, due to the fact that I use my lubricant from day 1 and there is no base line to give a comparison.

The grease I use is Chemtools, a white lithium grease containing polytetrafluoroethylene, most commonly known as PTFE. It has really good water resistance and will not harden or melt which makes it an excellent lubricant for reels. It is available through most boating supply places and comes in a tube and also an aerosol - the tube being the best for reels, of course. Like any lubricant for reels, use sparingly and often rather using too much which will inhibit performance.

As far as getting grease or oil into sealed bearings, replace them when they reach the stage that they require lubrication. The shields are there to prevent ingress of water and other contaminants, plus also to retain lubricant. The only way to get more lubricant in is to remove the shield - hard to accomplish without damaging the bearing. Bearings are cheap and easy to replace.

Jeff

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    kev209 and creekboy like this.
  8. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Thanks for that info jeff I will get some and give it a try.
    going to wash the salt off my tinny now, didn't catch anything decent just the dozen mandatory 10 to 20 cm snapper. got a fish in before s--t wheather hits.
    cheers blair

kev209 likes this.