1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Scents Again.

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Bluefin, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    The question of do they work, are they worth it ? This was asked again elsewhere , And this is My standard Reply.
    The final word on scents,They add Smell and Taste !! SAX Scent is My poison. Crab , Bloodworm, and Prawn for salt, Wassabi for Fresh. Wassabi is aniseed, The others DO contain Crab, Prawn and Bloodworm. Aussie Made in Port Macquarie. I have 3 flavours in the back of the boat, My wife has 2 up front, We won't put a lure in the water without it on. We want to give ourselves the best chance possible to catch fish!!!!!!!! Howard.

2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    With you all the way on Sax Scent, Howard. I wont put a lure in the water without it, sp's, hardbodies, vibes, blades all get a smear and I am a firm believer that it does attract more hits.

Jeff

3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    After the last thread discussing scents I had a look in the local tackle stores. I found some, and Sax may have been there, but the scents available were not found in the stores easily. As in, they were not 'in your face'! From memory, the ones they did have were in small containers and therefore rather expensive so I didn't bother. What size containers of Sax do you purchase Howard and price if you don't mind?
    cheers
    Jim

Master Baiter, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  4. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    They have a web site, http://www.saxscent.com/ I get the 50 m/l.I put a lot on, A tube probably Lasts me 12 months. You only need to squeeze out 3 to 4 m/m . When it gets hard to squeeze out I cut it open to get my finger in. Doe's not go off if left open.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  5. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Umpteen years ago I used Halco scent in freshwater, can't remember it's name, it was in a yellow tube if I remember right. It stunk to hell, but it seemed to work. Probably a silly question but is there attractants for freshwater bait fishing.? (I use berley)

Old fisho likes this.
  6. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    Aniseed Has long been recognized as a freshwater fish attractor. Sax scent wassabi is their fresh water scent, and it contains Aniseed oil.

7. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Thank's Howard, I'll try to pick up Sax scent. When I was Coarse fishing I used Aniseed, Strawberry essence, Coffee and a heap of other additives. I just want something to chuck into my tackle box.

Master Baiter and Old fisho like this.
  8. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Noticed in Anaconda today they sell Pro Cure scent. Sax scent gets a mention here but I haven't scene much of it local. I would rather purchase local so has anyone tried Pro Cure? Most of the Pro Cure scents available here are aimed at salt but they do have a garlic one for freshwater.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Determined to win the Pirtek challenge!

blair, kev209 and diesel like this.
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've used Pro Cure shrimp flavour in both salt and fresh, it works, but it just seems to be a bit messy compared to Sax and didn't last as long.
    Give it a go.

Jeff

Rod Bender, blair and kev209 like this.
  10. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    I was using Squidgies S Factor Scent on my lures yesterday and got two fish as per my report. Two others in the boat were not using any scent and no fish for them. Maybe something in it or maybe not.....
    Cheers Jed

11. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I use Squidgy scent and believe it works. Often I've had the impression and can't prove one way or the other, that it's turned an ordinary day into a good one. I've never used any other but will try and find Sax stuff. You guys seem to rate it well.
    Noel
    Can I find it by smell?

kev209, blair, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Just had a look for Sax scent.
    Most, if not all, specify fresh water.
    What's the difference and I wonder if there is one?
    Do you guys use it in salt/estuaries at times?
    All advice considered.
    Short on fresh water down here,
    Noel

kev209, blair and diesel like this.
  13. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Noel, as far as I know the only Sax Scent specifically formulated for the fresh is wasabi. I use bloodworm and crab in the salt and it works. I tried goldprawn and abalone a couple of times, but didn't do any good with either, switched over to bloodworm and scored 3 fish in 3 casts - 2 whiting and a flathead. Perhaps if I hadn't changed to bloodworm I still would have caught those 3 fish, scent or no scent.

Jeff

14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Looking at them on Ebay, Jeff, they say bloodworm, wasabi and abalone are all formulated for fresh. I would question
    1 Why use blood worm and abalone for fresh? They live is salt.
    2 That fish would know the difference
    Squidgy stuff is used in all waters and I wonder why the same wouldn't apply with others.
    To buy one on Ebay is about $20 inc postage. Twelve dollars plus $8 post. The three above are $38 including postage so you get three for a bit less than the price of two sort of thing.
    Do you know how much in shops?
    As for your three fish; that's the sort of thing that can't have a provable answer as I see it. Only what we like to believe.
    Noel

kev209, diesel, blair and 1 other person like this.
  15. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Couldn't tell you Noel, I bought my lot online direct from the manufacturer. I can't remember what I paid. There are a few stockists down your way.
    https://www.saxscent.com/stockists

You're absolutely right and the only way to prove if any particular scent does actually work would be under controlled laboratory testing. Anecdotal evidence would suggest that catch rates do improve when using scents, but whether one is superior to others is yet to be proven and probably never will be.

Jeff

Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  16. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    I have used S factor fresh water fishing. With Earth worm bait and S factor on one rod and no S factor on the other rod with Earth worm bait.
    Used one tube and I would most likely not buy it as a stand out scent but would still use it...
    If I caught fish on S factor I would also catch them on a plain worm, if no fish on one normally the same on the other, having said that I think the S factor may have caught a few more than a plain worm.
    Wally

Old fisho, kev209 and diesel like this.
  17. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I have heard the catch rate goes up using scents, haven't confirmed it myself I usually use scent on my SP,s.

18. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I have been using Squidgy almost since it was introduced and have tried no others.
    It's used 99% on SPs and have tried it on a couple of vibes but that proved nothing.
    It caught nothing.
    Another side of my misaligned logic tells me that the fish I chase here,
    flathead more than others, are ambush fish of a high standard
    and they don't sniff around to check out a possible feed.
    They hit moving targets on instinct, not in the way of food samplers.
    However, with no certainty, my gut feeling remains that my catches indicate
    that it works on a fairly consistent basis.
    A good post; I'd like to hear more from more guys.
    Noel

Rod Bender, kev209, diesel and 2 others like this.
  19. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    My view as well as I, and no doubt others have witnessed a trout hit a lure at high speed. They don't stop and smell the lure. I have also seen trout follow a lure slowly and refuse to hit it. To me, this is when scent may be an advantage.

When I use scent, I don't apply it as much as others might...I apply it after tying a lure on to remove my scent then I may not apply anymore for 15 or more minutes. Your suggestion Noel, of rubbing soil on your hands from where you are fishing may also be just as effective for the purpose of keeping my scent off the lures. I will also do that when using Gulp plastics out of the juice as I am not going to put scent on them.

Anyway, an impulse purchase today at Trelly's. Most 'flavours' available seem to be aimed at salt water species. So I went for garlic.
    20200530_125442.jpg
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Smells!

20. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Even our humble flathead are not in the habit of doing sensory testing Jim. They, like many others, are an ambush fish and are more likely to hit and ask after, which is usually too late for the chosen prey. I recall with some fondness, one of the most perfect fish I've taken from Eucumbene and I've been there a few times; having had an on site van there for more than thirty years. It was during the annual Snowy Mountains Trout Festival a few years ago. Sighted in half a metre of water, a full cast with my #5weight landed about half a metre in front of an obviously good sized brown. It followed the fly, first cast with a bushy's horror, until its back was above the surface and I was lying down to keep out of sight. It was only a meter from the bank when it took the fly and I had watched it all the way which was perhaps around twenty to twenty-five metres. It had plenty of time to smell the fly which of course had none to smell anyway and stayed less than 20 centimetres behind it until the very last moment and I was about to lift the fly from the water. A grand fish, it won me a Loomis fly rod and helped me collect $4000 for the day. It is things/experiences like this that keep me believing in lure/fly action rather than all the scents in the world. I have admitted numerous times that some goo on a SP has at times helped make an ordinary day into a better one but I stay with my other belief over years of fishing. I used to have a small silicone spray in my vest for my dry flies. Fishing dry flies is my ultimate preference. Seeing it all happen has no equal. Trust me, the container was labelled 'Mayfly scented'. How this could be possible escapes me. If you tried to smell a mayfly it would likely go up your nose. Why such a thing, if it were possible could have a serious beneficial effect, I'll never understand. When mayflies or caddis are hatching, trout can sometimes almost cruise at the surface sucking them in. No sniffing done there either.
    Noel
    Still can't smell a fish himself