1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Servicing your own boat?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Accessories and Maintenance' started by reelaxation, Dec 7, 2016.

1. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Anyone on here service their own boat and do minor repairs?

Basically my boat is in the mechanics for her annual service (and she wont idle I think I have a fuel/carby issue) so I got thinking instead of getting ol mate mechanic to service my ride I would like to try my hand at doing some basic stuff myself. I have a service manual for my outboard (1995 Oil Injected Mariner 90hp) so I am looking to do stuff like plugs, impeller, maybe cleaning carby's if I can.

Is there a no nonsense way to service your outboard? - That is... Do I start at the top and work my way down when servicing or should I start at the bottom and work my way up?

... Just after a few ideas on getting started with doing stuff myself I would find it more appealing to spend a day or so every 3month giving the old girl a quick check up and service.

Thanks
    Anthony
    :)

kev209 likes this.
  2. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    I have a mate who's a mechanic and he went over it with me a few times. It's a pretty simple process and I'd be confident of being able to do a basic service myself. The only challenge on your rig is the oil injection I guess. Still, Youtube is an awesome resource, and so is that DIY Boater group on FB (*gasp, horror!*)

In terms of what to do, generally drop the leg and get the impeller out for replacement - getting the leg back on can be tricky but if you're patient and don't force it too much then you can do it.

Once you've done that you can change the spark plugs (you can get tools to measure the "gape" of the plug - ie the gap at the tip of the plug - I've probably got the term wrong lol).

Also changing the gear box oil is easy, the only thing is is that you're meant to put the oil in from the bottom of the casing, the top hole is for the overflow (lets you know it's full).

That's a VERY simplified service and to be honest if you weren't sure, or something was running not quite right then I'd be taking straight to the mechanics.

Cheers,

Sam

kev209 and reelaxation like this.
  3. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Thanks for the advice Sam really appreciate it :D
    I might have a read of that service manual over the xmas break and bookmark the parts like gearbox oil, impeller, spark plugs and carby/fuel lines so I can at least know what I am looking at when I go to work on it LOL.

IMHO I wouldn't even attempt anything to do with the Oil Injection if I was having oil issues I would take straight to my mechanic, and really I am just trying to learn a bit more so I can save some $$$ and then one day I can upgrade.

kev209 likes this.
  4. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Picked the old girl up yesterday arvo- mechanic called and said I had big issues with my carbs... said my O rings were shot to pieces and had swollen and perished so a complete rebuild/resync of the carbs required, new impeller (nothing wrong with old one but part of annual service), new gearbox oil and compression check (looking good 120psi on all 3 cylinders) and new spark plugs.

So rocked up and he showed me what was left of my O rings- crap everywhere came out of the bowls when he repaired them, I went to pick one out of the bucket and if fell apart in my fingers and turned into a thick black rubbery paste... So instead of waiting 6 days for a carbie kit to arrive he put in cork gaskets instead of rubber ones said these should last around 10yrs or more.
    I asked him about fuel and je said my tank was clean as a whistle and had no residue or water so that was a relief, he said my top end will speed will increase but I might also use more fuel as a result of the rebuild.

Cannot wait to take her for a blast next week going to go for a short run around the local first then slip her in the Hawkesbury and do a run up to the ski parks- blow any cobwebs out and give her a decent squirt.

Summer is looking 500% better already :p

GIDDYUP!!!!

kev209 likes this.
  5. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Good result there reelaxation,lucky he picked it up before it gave you trouble out on the water.
    Strange for o rings to go that way without being exposed to solvent.Did he give you any idea why they went that way? I've heard that e10 fuel can do funny things to boat fuel systems.

kev209 likes this.
  6. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    That's was the first thing he asked- if I used E10, but I refuse to even use it in my lawnmower or my 4WD let alone in any boat I've ever owned... He said when he drained some off my fuel tank he could tell from the octane and smell it wasn't E10 but obviously he needed to confirm with me.

He did says that the fuel tankers COULD be not flushing the tanks out and contain traces of E10 before they run the Premium in on top, and he said that's the risk it doesnt matter where you fuel up. I told him I only run 95 premium in it and I always fill at the same petrol station which is Caltex down the road from my house.

I am tempted to try a different bowser but that would be BP, there is no shell nearby the rest are all Caltex or use Caltex refined fuels in my local area- the nearest Shell is heading South towards Sydney and its really out of the way so I will give the BP a shot and see how I go with that instead.

kev209 likes this.
  7. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    I do the same.Only run premium and wherever possible try to get it from the same local servo.Touchwood i've never had a problem,but if i do i will only drift into the bank,not half way to NZ like you.

kev209 likes this.
  8. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    yeah I could row back to the ramp if I was local in Brisbane Waters but if I was in Sydney Harbour or Hawkesbury River I would be in trouble and prob have to call marine rescue or try to find one of my mates who may be out fishing to tow me back to the ramp as long as they aren't out @ Browns or Heatons chasing bottom dwelling ooglies or billfish.

Lucky my mechanic is honest he doesn't tell bullsh1t so you spend more money getting heaps of unnecessary stuff and because I am a regular I get a small discount on labour when he can give me one- but I am more than happy to pay full price for great service- I get the same service with my cars I use the same mechanic for 10yrs+ and he always gives me great advice and does a great job with servicing all our old cars and our current Land Cruiser.

kev209 likes this.
  9. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Yeah as the saying goes if you can find a good butcher and a good mechanic,stick with them.

kev209 and reelaxation like this.
  10. strikem

strikem Active Member

May 5, 2008
    Re higher octane fuels
    You should only use a higher octane if it's stated in the manual
    Same goes for cars,going higher octane levels in some cases is a wasted money exercise.Nothing is gained

Plenty more on Youtube

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Tackleberry and kev209 like this.
  11. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    yep higher octane will give less power unless you have a higher compression ratio to create the extra toque

some find it hard to grasp that high octane = less energy to put it simply ever wondered why diesel at an RON

rating of around 35 has the highest energy capacity hence the use in heavy machinery .

kev209 likes this.
  12. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    I just had a look at the manual for my pre mix 25hp mariner 2 st and it says minimum of 85 ron to be used.

kev209 likes this.
  13. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    good luck finding that here as min is 91RON but I think it should have said min 85RON

EDIT I just reread you post ........disregard what I said

kev209 likes this.
  14. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    as a general rule unless high performance the average outboard motor is a low compression donk under 160psi

kev209 likes this.
  15. Kambah Critter

Kambah Critter Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Hi Ant, good to see you're happy to get the tools out and do some basic service stuff on your motor. I do my own, a mercury 9.8 so very simple engine. Only thing that cant be tuned is the electronic ignition controller.

If you want to use a 95 fuel, you'll only be paying more to fill it without getting more power from it. Higher octane fuels need a longer burning duration, which can be done if your engine has an adjustable spark timing. Your mechanic may be able to dial the spark back a few degrees before top dead centre to take advantage of the 95 fuel, or you can do it yourself with a standard car timing light, but maybe ask your mech first to ensure you don't advance too far and do anything funny in there. Check your engine manual and see if maybe there's a timing setting for different fuels, unlikely but possible.
    Cheers, Ant

kev209 likes this.
  16. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    I have 2 chainsaws that have been hopped up both run on 98RON have been

ported and the timing advanced + both run more than 220psi but I will

say one thing they cut a meter of wood quicker than an saw I have ever

picked up .

kev209 and Kambah Critter like this.
  17. Kambah Critter

Kambah Critter Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Good stuff TB, it's always interesting to pull a motor apart and see just how restricted the ports are.
    I used to modify rc car nitro engines, the only difference between the standard os motor and the faster, more expensive "race tuned" motor was the port size and shape. Nothing a dremel and die grinder tip couldn't sort out.

kev209 likes this.
  18. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    as you can see this thing hauls arse it holds 10 000 12 000 rpm in the cut not the usual 9 000
    and now the sweet spot tune for power is 14 200rpm but in the interest of longevity I tune at
    13 800 , not bat for a 75cc saw it will tan the but of a stihl 066 and will pull a 32" bar no probs

kev209 likes this.
  19. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I asked my mechanic which fuel I should be using and he said 95 is the best but he also said 98 is too rich and I wouldn't see any benefits in performance- and 91 he said will make the engine "ping" and E10 will cause my O rings to perish faster so I will stick to the 95 octane for the time being.

kev209 likes this.
  20. strikem

strikem Active Member

May 5, 2008
    Time to change mechanics

kev209 likes this.