1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

'Sheppartonians'...time to upgrade your gear!

Discussion in 'Fishing in Victoria' started by Rod Bender, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Some of you who were members on another forum may remember a post I did a few years ago. This was in regards to a story I heard...of an 80 cm Redfin being lost in the local lake. So, we were a bit sceptical. Anyway, I have heard another story...this time of a fish from the channel system. I am not sure of the exact location but I assume from around this area. This fish was apparently captured and would have to be released.

So, guy telling me the story did not see the pics...but his mate, who I know also, did see the pics. I will catch up with the mate soon and see what I can find out. If it is true, and these people are what I would call reliable...and the pics do exist, I am surprised the pics have not appeared of Facebook. Anyway, this story may never be proven! And by the way, the Murray cod that was caught allegedly went 1.8 metres! :eek:

The successful angler just trolls up and down the channel. I'm not sure what the record size for cod is...but if this was true...don't really know what to say except I won't be fishing the channels with 10 lb mono anymore! :(

Cheers
    Jim
    Wondering if it was a 1.8 metre cod that busted me off the other night!:mad:

kev209 likes this.
  2. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    So...after having a sleepless night I did some further investigating this morning. There were so many questions...do I have to purchase a Shimano Tiagra overhead game reel? The list went on! Anyway, I went back to the info source. The reliability of this guy is what had me stumped from the start! I can now say that whilst he is reliable...my hearing is not! :( It was 1.08 meters! Which of course is now feasible! It also highlights what I have suspected for a while...I need to start using heavier gear in the channels.

Now you will have to excuse me, I am going to target the rumoured 80 cm reddie in the local lake.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Not sponsored by Hearing Australia

kev209 likes this.
  3. westyonline

westyonline death to the mud guzzlers

Nov 24, 2009
    108cm cod is a GOOD fish, 80cm redfin is a GOD fish!....would love to see those pics
    the biggest reddie i have witnessed was a 48cm by my cuz in Lake Blurry Griffin, so an 80cm is an absolute monster
    jonson reddie 001.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    AWL, Sprinter, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Don't hold your breath! :) At the time we thought the report was a crock of sh!t! And we still do!

AWL and kev209 like this.
  5. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    The largest Murray Cod ever recorded was 1.8 metres long and weighed about 113 kg, and was recorded back in the Paddle Steamer era. Got this off the net but it would not allow me to download the article

AWL and Rod Bender like this.