1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Shimano Curado DC baitcast reel.

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    I walked into a local tackle store a couple weeks ago and immediately had an unopened box containing a Curado DC baitcast shoved at me!:cool: A new release from Shimano and the 'DC' stands for digital control.

They say it has a 'micro-computer' in the reel that monitors the spool rotation during casting and applies the necessary amount of braking to prevent backlash. So...they say you don't have to 'thumb' the spool during casting. Micro-computer!!!! I guess this is a marketing ploy and a name they have placed on the magnetic device that controls the spool. I don't know what really constitutes a computer but meh...I guess it sounds good from their point of view!

The local stores have it priced around the $450 mark. Whilst this is still expensive, I have seen previous 'DC' reels which retail around $700 to $900 so this is a step in the right direction.

When I noticed the reel paired up with a Loomis rod in a local store, I just had to have a go! Rod Bender was up to the challenge of birdnesting the impossible to birdnest reel!:) The first time I saw it last week, my initial test was just to hold the rod, adjust the reel for casting and then let the casting plug freefall to the ground. No issues with this but then I loosened the spool tension gradually and kept repeating the procedure and wullah! Birdnest mission completed! So after a couple minutes of unwinding line from the spool it was time to take it outside.

At this point I had no idea what the settings were so just started with short casts. I did not thumb the spool at all...even when the plug hit the concrete. It was rather impressive...no overrun at all. I cast a bit further and there were still no problems. However, I did not want to go to the extreme and belt it out as far as I could.

So this week I had a look at some videos which explained the settings and this morning I let rip! To be honest, there was a small amount of overrun at times but this could have been due to the fact that the casting plug would hit the concrete and then travel several metres more...as opposed to hitting the water and stopping immediately. When I say overrun, it wasn't bad, just a few loose loops. This was on the setting with the least resistance. Move it to the highest resistance and there was no issue. Casting distance wasn't too bad but this may have something to do with casting a plug that has little wind resistance.

They say the reel is good for beginners to use. I would not suggest it for beginners wanting to learn how to use a baitcaster as they won't learn with this one. Is the reel any good for experienced anglers? Who knows!!! Besides, when have we ever had to justify buying anything! It may be useful at night to reduce birdnests and one can likely cast further at night without having to rely on 'thumbing' the reel too much. I know I normally use more 'thumb' at night when fishing with baitcasters. Anyway, feel free to check them out in your local tackle store.
    cheers
    Team Bender

AJ Fishman, blair, DeeBeeKay and 3 others like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Having used baitcasters for more than 30 years, I don't know if I could use one without thumbing the reel, especially when fishing for barra in skinny water where the thumb becomes not just a means of controlling spool speed to prevent over-run, but at times it is used as a slammed on brake to put your lure smack bang in front of the fish. I would imagine that cod fishing in amongst snags would be the same where you need to stop the spool dead to prevent over casting. I wonder how the computer would handle that sort of treatment?

Jeff

DeeBeeKay, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Jim. Are you sure about DC, that it is not for Does not catch? Just a thought. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 and diesel like this.
  4. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I have heard from a reliable source and agree that the DC 150 would be to small for decent cod, cheers davo

kev209, creekboy and diesel like this.
  5. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    As it is, I don't 'thumb' the spool much anyway with my normal baitcasters. Although I will at night as I can't see when the lure is about to hit the water. I do get a bit of overrun during my thumbless casting but it is minimal and I deal with it. I can cast a bit further with the spool unhindered. I just make sure everything is adjusted properly.
    Lots of other fish to fry bud!!!!!:)

As for what does 'DC' stand for. Talking to someone today they reckon it stands for dumb ****!!!!!:cool: Or that may be his perception of people who use it for the wrong reason! Definitely not for beginners as they wont learn anything but an experienced angler should get more distance out of it.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Know it all!!!!:cool:

6. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yeah Millzee did some tests with it hence the report of being to small for cod and also line capacity, cheer davo.

7. Wunderlust

Wunderlust Active Member Admin

Jul 9, 2007
    I don’t know if I could get used to it, thumbing is all part of the experience to put the lure where you want it. Perhaps ok in wide open spaces, but I use the thumb to get as close as possible to river banks and snags, not sure you could do that with this. On a similar note.. is there anything not controlled by a computer these days!?

Rod Bender, kev209, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Definitely not much in the world of electronics, Tim.

I guess it was inevitable that this type of technology would happen with fishing reels, but I fear that the more complex they become, they also become more prone to failure.

Henry Ford was credited with saying to his dealers at the launch of the Model T: 'anything more complicated than a kitchen fork is bound to fail'. It was to convince them that for every car that they sold, they also needed another one as backup in spare parts. It is getting that way with a lot of things in our throw away world of consumerism where fewer items are designed and manufactured to last beyond a set use by date. A while back I adopted the practice of doubling my purchases on some fishing reels that were proven to be reliable, durable and value for money, because it provided spare parts backup if needed and one can never be guaranteed that the next model will be as good as the last. I'm a full blown Shimano freak, but I'm starting to become disillusioned with the constant and rapid rate of model changes.

Jeff

9. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I agree jeff. shimano very reliable and good value, just need to catch a big cod whith my new curado!

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  10. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I had another go today....totally 'thumbless' on both casting and when the weight touched down. One word...birdnest! The worst birdnest I had encountered so far as opposed to a small amount of overrun that I had experienced before. That is all!
    Cheers
    Team Birdnest

11. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    So, fun fun fun a plenty. Back to the egg beaters again? Cheers, Lyall.

kev209, diesel and Rod Bender like this.
  12. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    No!!! Well, I do still use spin reels but I will be using normal baitcast reels. I do like them.
    cheers
    Jim

13. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    quite happy whith my curado , can cast it and not have to thumb spool at end of cast depending on lure and how much power is put into the cast etc. Way ahead of my old abu 2500.
    cheers

diesel, creekboy, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  14. Wunderlust

Wunderlust Active Member Admin

Jul 9, 2007
    Lol once you use a baitcaster, there no going back!

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  15. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I realised something this week...when I tried out the reel, I did not adjust the spool tension knob at all which is not a good thing when using baitcasters!
    Would you mind messaging him and asking what he thought of the reel? His thoughts are obvious for cod but what does he think about it for yellas and more importantly, what did he think of the concept itself. If he doesn't mind responding, just pm me his reply thanks. Mind you, it may be too late cos rumour has it I may have purchased one anyway! I just want to see if I wasted my money!:cool:

One member who was very prominent on the forum years ago tried a baitcaster and it didn't end well! He had no issues going back to spin reels!:) I think a lot of people have problems when they purchase a cheap baitcaster and try to cast lures that do not weigh enough. They then hate the reels and will return to what they are used to.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Baitcasteroligist!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  16. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    What if it gets a virus bug?

diesel, blair, creekboy and 1 other person like this.
  17. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    ha ha, better contact Norton and ask them if they have an anti virus for a shimano curado dc.

18. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    You would also have to watch out for hackers getting into the computer chip trying to find out your best fishing spots.

Jeff

19. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    hope it has a good firewall.

creekboy, AJ Fishman and diesel like this.
  20. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    It makes you wonder what the next model will have. Built in gps to take you back to the exact location of your last catch? Perhaps a database with a readout of all fish species legal size/bag limits?

The mind boggles.

Jeff