1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Shimano IX rear drag reels.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Accessories and Maintenance' started by Rod Bender, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi Peeples
    I have a couple of these reels which are Shimano's cheapest spin reels. The ones I have came with line. Has anyone used these reels that have come pre-spooled? I know CC uses them. I am just wondering about the line quality that is on there. Obvious option is to replace it at little cost but as these reels are just for stuffing around, I would like to save some money.

Also, what pound carp will it take to 'explode' one of these reels?!!!!! :cool:
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Living on the edge!

kev209, diesel and creekboy like this.
  2. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Caught a few 80cm models on them Bender, you should be fine.

Had them for a while now and yet to replace the line!

CC
    Uses and recommends Shimano IX reels

3. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I bought one of these years ago for my then young son and after the 1st trip it went in the bin .
    Then went and bought him a daiwa reel ......can't remember what model but it was around $80 odd bucks .
    This was back in 2002 .

4. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    What fish were you chasing? I am not expecting much from these reels. Rather rough winding to start with and a bit of ‘play’ in the handle. They came on a combo with a rod I was after. I got a Sienna for each rod for when I am a bit more serious but will utilise the cheaper reels when I feel like throwing things around! :cool:
    Cheers
    Team Bender

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I used some little rear drag I think ax200 shimanos years ago for light spinning , because of the small spool and good for casting light lures. They went well and lasted a fair while I wouldn't chase kingies whith them though they were fine for what they were desighned for. The drags worked well.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    One of the first things I do with any new reel is to strip it down to all it's component parts, mainly to satisfy my curiosity as a mechanic as to what makes it work. Some of my earlier el-cheapo reels were fairly basic when it comes to gearing material strength with plastic or sub standard alloys used to keep production costs to a minimum. They probably haven't changed much over the years and you get what you pay for.

Shimano have been marketing a feature they call Hagane cold forged gears (Hagane meaning steel) used in a lot of their reels right up to the top shelf Stella. Even some of their cheaper reels have the cold forged gears, but I would be surprised if their el-cheapo products feature strong gearing - probably strong enough for what they are designed for, an entry level reel that works, but not made to last.

A reel that I bought recently that I'm impressed with is the Shimano Nasci 2500, been around for a couple of years and it replaced the Symmetre which was a damn good reel for it's low price ($100 to $150). I'm yet to use the Nasci, but I think it will perform well with a strong drag of 9 kg.

Jeff

7. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    It wasent the fish that was the problem but the line lay even under tension it would just bunch up like it was wound on slack as , I could not work out what was the cause .

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  8. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I admire your mechanical skills! I have none....I have been known to fumble around pulling line rollers off! Therefore I never delve into the internal bits!!:cool: Have you found some new reels that have inadequate lubrication from the start? I have heard of this happening...from several different sources I think.

Apart from being an entry level reel, these IX model reels also have another purpose. To rid the planet of carp!:) I think CC has had a long run with them and they have done their job. The trick is not to put them in harms way. By that I mean do not put them face to face with a 'trophy' fish that you don't want to lose. Always the chance of it happening tho.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    May have just purchased a light Daiwa spin rod!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019