1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Side console boat

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Garfield28, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    G'day all,

Have another thread going about my trailer but this one will sort of solve the issue as I just want a new boat, trailer and set up.

I've been looking at open boats as against what I have at the moment which is a big heavy glass cuddy cab. She's a brilliant boat in that it handles offshore conditions really well but launching and retrieving on my own which is more and more the case of late, is a real pain, especially when the wind kicks up a bit. The trailer is a crap trailer as it is but the big heavy boat is the main culprit.

I've recently fished on a mate's Quintrex Top-ender side console, which was set up with an electric motor, and I loved it! It had heaps or storage under the floor and casting deck and it is a great boat to fish from with plenty of room up on the casting deck and ample room at the back of the boat too. fishing with an electric motor is a game changer! It was a 5.3 or 5.1 I believe and it was at least 10 years old at a guess. I believe it had the millennium hull so not sure what year they started to make them, but in a bit of chop as the wind picked up it seemed to handle it quite well and we stayed dry.

I love the cover of my cuddy cab with Bimini and clears when it's a freezing cold morning heading out to the reefs etc but the side console is just so well wel up for fishing in the estuary and hopefully on a good day outside chasing reds.

So I think a side console is the go but while I've been taking notice and looking I see there are so many on the market. I love the renegades but they are super pricey and hard to even find a fair prices second hand one. Unlike the looks of the Stacer outlaw but they too are pretty pricey. I came across anglapro the other day and they have some nice looking side consoles too but I couldn't really find too much info on them. There are a few others and I would really love any info or personal thoughts on any side consoles out there I could check out. Ideally I'm thinking around the 4.8 metre mark with a 70-75 4 stroke outboard would really appeal to me. I'd really like to fish the estuary but also be able to get out a few k's to fish reefs when the weather and conditions aren't terrible but also able to get out if it's a little sloppy.

I recently read a thread where the Quintrexs were getting hammered on their welding and build quality, but more so people seem to really rate Quintrex built boats.

Any help and advice on what to look for or for other decent models with the openness of a side console and the ability to add an electric, I'd really love to hear about. In an ideal world a good caddy that could easerly fish the estuary and reef and could have an electric would be the ideal boat but there's less room and they'd be double the price I guess.

Thanks
    Geoff

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    blair, ratherbefishin, diesel and 2 others like this.
  2. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I have been hearing the same thing about quintrexs, Mate only kept his for a few months
    cheers Pete

3. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Cheers for the reply

What did he let it go for madfisher, and was it a renegade boat?

blair and kev209 like this.
  4. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Bass boat mate, Hornett.It was cracking up after a few months, sold it and got a bar crusher.

blair, ratherbefishin and kev209 like this.
  5. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Anyone own a Savage Scorpion? Saw one at the ramp yesterday, nice looking rig it was.

Thought I'd get a lot more info on the Quintrex brand seeing they seem so popular.

6. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Just go and have a look at the welds on a seajay and you wont buy any other tinny .

7. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Thanks for the reply tackleberry.

Mate their boats are pricey.... What stands out with their welds?
    I went and had a look at a Quintrex Renegade today and I did have a look at the welds, I must admit doesn't seem to too many and some looked like bird poop

8. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Yep cocky **** welds . at seajay all the welds look like they were done by a robot they are perfect ......
    From what I have been told they employ young blokes as apprentices so they can train them properly and it shows and as for cost you get what you pay for , I just wish I had of bought one instead of the blue in l have ......

9. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    I this is what they look like ......

[​IMG]

10. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2019
    Just be aware that weld appearance isn't everything (especially noting that MIG welds are /generally/ not as pretty as TIG welds, but can be just as functional). I could TIG you up a flash looking stack of dimes, but if the penetration isn't there or the heat wasn't properly managed - which you can't necessarily tell from looking at the topside - then the welds will fail. Also note that aluminum is more prone to fatiguing and stress fractures than many other metals, so your welds need to be pretty good to ensure you don't introduce weak spots.
    Do note, I'm just a backyard hack and not a ticketed welder, but I've spent a fair bit of time working with alloy and stainless.

In terms of Quintrex, I've also heard the anecdotes regarding the cracking of welds - but I've not met someone who's had the issue. I guess the key question is whether it's a long standing problem with some of their boats, or whether it is just certain models or a certain production period in which it occurred. If you can't nail down those facts, than I'd feel it was a bit of a roll of the dice on buying one.

Finally, in terms of pricey boats having good welds, I'd hypothesize it is a function of the process they use (MIG vs TIG), how much they pay their folks and how much quality control they put on their production. I'm sure some manufacturers have fatter margins than others, but in the end it'll always cost more to produce a higher quality boat and I guess that's what you're paying for.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  11. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Stick with glass and get a centre console- problem solved!!!

12. ratherbefishin

Sep 9, 2019
    Hehehe.....that's one option....or go plastic and get the best of both worlds....https://www.polycraft.com.au/480-brumby/ ;)

But in all seriousness, if you can nail down the situation around the Quintrex weld cracking stories, they otherwise sound like a good tub for the money. Especially with the millennium hull.

13. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Was it Quintrex that had electrolysis problems years ago, the wrong rubber was put between the inner ribs and the hull.
    My late father and I had a great run out of Savage aluminium boats, over the years we had 5, but they no longer exist. I'm not sure if they still make fiber glass boats. Our nephew worked for Stacer boats as a welder for quite a while, apparently Stacer was started by a couple of x Savage employees. In my opinion Stacer was the better boat. There another boat manufacturer that no longer exists.

blair, ratherbefishin and Madfisher like this.
  14. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Really appreciate the replies guys.

It's so bloody hard to choose... So many look the same but I know they aren't the same. Even though they are apparently all so different the cost is nearly the same on all of them too.

Looked at some anglapro and Horizon boats online tonight, they appear to look good but it's all the unknown with them as there doesn't appear to be too many reviews on them from current or past owners.

What makes a boat sit well at rest?

Quintrex and Stacers have all of the runs on the board because of their reputation, buy also they have the 2 most reviewed hulls I could find. I can't find any info on the likes of Anglapro and Horizon and the like spruking their hulls too much.

ratherbefishin and kev209 like this.
  15. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    If you mean like this
    [​IMG]

I was 120kg in the pic and the o my things that make a stable boat is a flat bottom less than 10* dead rise but the trade off is it will beat the crap out of you and the other is a twin hull at least you get the best of both worlds stability and soft ride

16. ratherbefishin

Sep 9, 2019
    Also low central mass (ala Bar Crusher with a low, central flooding ballast chamber or Formosa Sea Rod with distributed chambers) and outboard buoyancy (ala chambers on Stabicraft or big reverse chines on some Polycraft [not the 4.8 though, although it's still comfortably stable]). Another thing is thicker bottom plate in alloy boats, increasing the weight and lowering the center of gravity.

Flooding chambers and outboard buoyancy are designed to allow a more acute dead rise (giving better performance) while maintaining stability at rest. Problem is, they're hard to find in boats under 5 meters and under $60k (new) and are generally limited to manufacturers/models focused on getting out wide (for obvious reasons).

That's pretty impressive Tackleberry; what boat is that?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  17. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Blue fin 4.2 with HONDA 40

18. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Starting to lean towards the Stacers Outlaw I think. Little cheaper and some good reviews. I'd love to be able to view one in person though.

19. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Don't ever buy a boat without getting in it 1st new or second hand .....

20. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Yeah I hear ya tackleberry.
    I'm hoping to get in and have a look at a Scorpion tomorrow afternoon after work.
    Be interested to see if the 455 is roomy enough.

blair, Tackleberry and kev209 like this.