1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Silver perch north of the divide.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Rod Bender, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    Victorian fishing regs are currently under review and a proposal for change has been forwarded to fisheries to consider introducing a bag limit of two fish from rivers north of the divide (currently they are protected). Of course it may not be approved but if it does...would anyone target them?

I have caught some as bycatch and wouldn't mind chasing them with small spinners but have avoided this currently as they are protected. Our local lake had been stocked with them but I can't be bothered chasing them. If the laws change, I wouldn't mind having a crack at them although I would be careful where as some locations I fish have largish cod and I am not to keen on hooking them on light gear.

As with other natives I would likely release them but has anyone tried eating them?
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Always looking for new species to not catch!

2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Jim. Don't bother trying to eat them, they taste like crap. Tried eating when they were still legal to catch and will not ever bother again. Cheers, Lyall.

3. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    It must depend on where they are caught from I think Lyall. The ones from Wyangala dam are superb to eat. In Nsw you can take a couple from stocked lakes. I often prefer then to Golden Perch. About 35cm is the best size to eat. Old ones are not much chop and get tough.
    Cheers Pete

4. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    I'm not a big fish fish eater, but I have tried Silver Perch and I quite liked it. Although, I seem to have 'peculiar' tastes. I enjoy Trout over Redfin (most people I've met in the western part of the state do not).

creekboy, Rod Bender, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    yes mate they are good to eat

6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've eaten a few and I would class them as average, not the best and definitely not the worst table fish. Maybe my taste buds are a bit more selective after a lifetime of catching & eating saltwater species, but I can't say that I am overly fond of any freshies, except for perhaps a feed of redfin. I caught my first reddie a couple of years ago and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was on the plate.

Jeff