1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Some say i am a ,lucky fisherman, but its got more to do with my pig headness.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Madfisher, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Burrendong has recently risen from 1.5% to just below 7%, still low but at 7% its holds 110000 mls of water. Quite often when the dam rises the carp and yellas will move in right on the bank , and you can spot the carp with there backs out of the water.
    Most of the fresh had came down the cudgegong, so i was hoping the main basin would be reasonably clear, what we found on arriving was the main basin was putrid, but there was some clearish water in the backs of a couple of large bays.
    We beached the boat and covered quite a few ks of shoreline for zilch, a few jumping out a far way out. I am used to fishing in the jungle, as the weeds being inundated where up to 3 feet high, not easy.
    We moved to another large bay, Michael opted to fish a couple of bait rods out the back of the boat, he had given up. Not overly optimistic i started walking again, and after a couple of ks, spotted a big pair of orange lips in a bay, and then spotted another one digging. Having phone coverage I rang Michael and told him i had found a couple , and to bring the boat up and beach it on a point
    Up here the water while not clear had about 40cm of visability, and the air temp was now warm enough for me to remove my pull over. We now started to encounter quite a few carp as the day warmed, but neither of us could tempt one with our array of flies.
    On top of this they where doing weird stuff , like a doz would be in a loose semi circle all lips sucking on the surface and a bit of trashing I put it down to a late season breeding event due to rising water
    Then it hit me, these carp where not spawning but herding and corralling midges.
    Now I have spent quite a bit of time on midging trout in Oberon and Euc, but if i put a dry out over them they still ignored it. I then tied on a grizzly hackle Woolly Worm tried floating it over the top still no response, Michael had given up and walked back to the boat to play with his phone and bait fish.
    I then over shoot a cast by about 60cm, when i pulled it over the school it semi submerged, and i got smashed. I then discovered this was the deadly technique and landed 9 in the space of 65minutes up to about 9lb. I never moved more then 30 feet in this time.
    Now I think there is a couple of important life lessons here ( which my young bloke of 24 was not to happy to hear about) dont give up, I must have walked 6 ks before starting to find fish and i am 68 with a few issues.
    Then working out what fly they wanted and how they wanted it. The fly I was using looks similar to a midge ball, not that midge balls go under water, but it was what they wanted on the day.
    So one of the worse days I have had, turned into one of the best, fishing to surface feeding fish 20 to 50 feet away.
    Now thinking about it Sunday was a very cold morning, and the carp slept in till lunch time.
    Tight lines guys

Old fisho, blair, diesel and 3 others like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Good report Pete and I agree, don't give up. I don't see the point in spending all that money on fishing gear and disregarding all those years of experience just to chuck the towel in if the fish don't want to play the game. I'm not a quitter when it comes to fishing especially if I know the fish are there - I fish for the sole purpose of catching fish and I'm not a happy chappie if I don't succeed. To me, ending a session with a donut means I haven't tried hard enough and that irks me.

Jeff

3. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Yes Jeff my thoughts exactly, there is a lot of satisfaction in figuring out what is going on. Experience , and being a good observer plays a part as well.
    Pete

4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Good one Pete, cant beat flyfishing for versatility wheather permitting will be having a go at Eucenbene next week.

Old fisho and Madfisher like this.
  5. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Good luck Blair, its been a while since I fished Euc.
    Pete

Old fisho likes this.
  6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Thx, come up be good to see yourself or any TBX members there. I used to get up there more often. had some good fishing up there this time of year previously.

Old fisho and Madfisher like this.
  7. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I'm on the side of pigheadedness too. Must agree with you Pete.
    I said to Ray only yesterday when he asked why I always caught fish (usually except twice). The answer was to me, simple. It's not always skill though that might help sometimes. First you must go fishing. When it's a bit tough like yesterday, but could have been worse, fish harder, change lures, colours, retrieves and locations. But most important, Never ever give up. The mug who goes fishing catches more than the expert who stays home. Work harder at it and it happens.
    Will report on yesterday in another post.
    Noel
    The self confessed ruler of stubborn.

Madfisher and blair like this.
  8. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    My self and my old mate Bob went back up today, far old trip for one day 135ks ea way, left the boat home as i thought i could drive to most of the spots. It took a bit of toing and frowing, but we pulled up on the bank of my selected bay. It could have been Euc in its hey day, fish rising all over the whole top of the bay.
    I had on long gum boots but really should have brought chest waders as most pods where just out of reach. Bob also found some feeding on seed pods from weeds that had been inundated.
    Covered a few but my red hot technique from the other day did not work, typical lol.
    The other problem lots had there head under bushs, making it very hard to present a fly to them, switched back to my glass bead woolly worm and found one very close to the bank with its head in a clear spot, i simply lowered the fly in front and it turned and took, strong fish, but was over 10lb. Bob had also got on the board with a skinny 76cm carp that still went 10lb.
    Highlight of the day was greasing up a woolly worm and floating it near a pod. I heard the slurp and seen the head, and i came up tight.
    Final score was Bob two, myself three, still a good day, but hard fishing./
    Tight lines guys
    Pete

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    blair and Old fisho like this.