1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

South Oz proposed ban on snapper fishing.

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by diesel, Aug 15, 2019.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Snapper fishing may be banned for 3 years in South Australia.

www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-07/sa-minister-proposes-three-year-ban-on-snapper-fishing/11393520

'The state's commercial catch fell from a peak of 1,035 tonnes in 2010 to 339 tonnes in 2017, according to the department.'

Well fancy that, the commercial catch fell after the super trawler Geelong Star was given the green light to plunder our inshore waters during 2015/16. Never mind, let them take what they want and kill all the bycatch, no big deal - put a ban on snapper fishing until stocks recover and let the super trawlers come back and have another crack at it....:mad:

Jeff

kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  2. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Jeff, the concept of the Geelong Star, formerly Magura wasn't it; was designed to catch bait, not snapper. But could we really believe anything about the vessel's operators? I doubt it and wonder how many more name changes it might need as it tries to find work around the world. The enormity of its potential is beyond comprehension, regardless of what it was taking in, I think, the world's biggest trawl net. It came here for one reason only. Where it had been working, off Indonesia I thought after leaving Europe, was completely devoid of fish. I am no great labor supporter but I respected what Tony Burke, then minister for the environment, did to prevent it destroying our own waters and fish stocks. Without his perseverance, Magura would probably still be here. Giving it licence to fish waters the entire width of southern Australia and up the west cost was a massive stretch of fish rich water.
    I did read the report on SA snapper. The drop in catch is certainly extreme. I was not aware that the ship entered Spencer Gulf or Gulf St Vincent but it could well have done.
    Jeff, your comments mesh perfectly with mine and my thoughts on our own local fishery. Close the fishing down for a few years until it recovers but of course the villains then return and do it all over again. With our growing population and easier access to waters, the need seems to be to further regulate catches, commercial and recreational, until it all returns to sustainability. Of course the increasing number of people, particularly on the eastern freeboard, automatically makes that close to impossible.
    Open to criticism
    Noel

kev209 and diesel like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Noel, I don't think the Geelong Star (aka Dirk Dirk) entered the gulf waters of SA. From what I know about the breeding cycle of snapper, they have a very high mortality rate of around 90% and the 10% that do survive mainly live in the coastal fringe out to the edge of the continental shelf, the same water flogged by the super trawler. An enormous amount of snapper would have been netted and returned to the water as bycatch...dead.

The ship you refer to, Margiris, was bought to Australia as the Abel Tasman and after protests by environmentalists and various fishing groups, the Federal Government passed legislation prohibiting it from fishing in our waters and banned all super trawlers longer than 130 metres. Out of the 76 known super trawlers operating around the globe, only 6 are banned from operating here. The Geelong Star or whatever name it has now is a 95 metre vessel.

There were a lot of shonky things involving some very influential people regarding the matter of the Geelong Star.

To put it briefly, people with the power to successfully advise on the issue of permits to super trawlers working our waters were also stake holders in the company (Seafish Tasmania) that bought the Geelong Star here. Two of the directors of that company were named in the investigation of one of Australia’s largest cocaine busts and were being investigated by the AFP at the very same time that their advice was being considered and accepted by the Australian Fish Management Authority.

To say that there was something ‘fishy’ about the entire super trawler saga would be an understatement, but unfortunately, due to a lack of transparency, we may never know who exactly was involved in the dodgy deal and how far it penetrated the halls of Canberra. Maybe time will reveal the truth.

Jeff

kev209 likes this.
  4. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks. I doubt we'll ever know it all Jeff.
    And I knew when I wrote it I had the name wrong.

kev209 and diesel like this.
  5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    WTF not allowed to catch snapper, that's unaustralian!!! pirates er I mean pro fishermen only catching bait, yea right I bet they carefully revived and returned 100,s of thousands of snapper "accidently" caught and didn't sell any on the blackmarket (like drugs) or unload them onto other boats to sell, no, no way.
    That's my borderline rant for now, I have seen what the pro fishos do around here.

Old fisho, diesel and kev209 like this.