1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

South West Rocks Bar Crossing

Discussion in 'Fishing in New South Wales' started by Garfield28, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    G'day all,

I am hoping to get up to South West Rocks on the weekend and just looking for some info on the Bar crossing and/or other alternatives please.

I've heard the Bar crossing at SWR is pretty dangerous and has claimed lives in the past. I have never ever been there before and I don't know if it is safe for a 5.2 metre Savage boat to cross at all, or at any particular time. I have been trying to search up info and cannot find a great deal, and some people have suggested other ramps like the back creek and Goal but some seem to think that they are dangerous also, and can only really be used at certain times. If anyone could please give me some info as if it is too dangerous I will give it a miss. I wanted to get up there this weekend and chase some Spanish and Spotted Mackerel.

If SWR is best avoided, can anyone please suggest a safer area where I may still tangle with a few Spanyards or Spotties please. I've heard Spotties can be caught at Forster too which would be a lot closer to home, but I'm not 100% convinced or know much about when is roughly the best time/month to get them etc.

Any info would be really appreciated,

Thanks

Geoff

blair and kev209 like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    It's many years since I crossed the bar at South West Rocks and it can definitely be a bit tricky. The Mackleay River on a run out tide is pushing a lot of water out and extremely fast compared to most of the northern rivers and I would only attempt the bar a couple of hours into a run in tide provided the swell was low.
    I always found Hat Head a better place to get out although the creek is fairly narrow and not for the inexperienced in too much swell, especially coming back in.
    Crescent Head can be another dangerous bar and I watched a boat flip over backwards there trying to push out through a line of breakers. The blokes in the boat were lucky to survive, but they lost all their gear.

Jeff

blair, Garfield28 and kev209 like this.
  3. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Thanks for the reply Jeff.

You know any other places safer to launch further south that I can still get onto some Spanish mate?
    Thanks

4. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    You could go further north up to Coffs Harbour mate, might be worth checking out?

kev209 and blair like this.
  5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Let us know how you go whith the mackeral g28 I was thinking up going up there in April. Whith bar crossings just hang back and watch it for a while and watch what the locals are doing going over the bar. Heading out: wait till you think its clear and nip out don't try and go over an incoming wave(if there any or one appears) at high speed slow down and meet it whith enough momentum to meet it then power up and over it keeping boat straight ahead , heading in: wait till you think it is clear and nip in quickly whithout leaping over waves in front just keep in front of waves behind if there are any keep boat straight ahead if a wave catches up whith you.
    Try and hookup whith a local fisho and follow him out.
    If the waves are constant and big don't go out, if locals not going out don't go out, use plan b, check that wheather isn't going to blowup while out fishing either.
    Good luck whith the mackeral.

kev209 likes this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've never chased mackies any further south than Crescent Head, Geoff. In my younger years I fished a lot around Broughton Island out from Port Stephens and it was mainly bottom bashing, but I remember hearing other fishos talk of hooking into Spanyards near the island.

Port Stephens is a good bar to cross, deep water and quite safe except in the roughest of weather.

Jeff