1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

South Yarra BMW.

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Master Baiter, May 18, 2020.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Pats younger sister a 79 year old has a BMW 2018 MODEL hardly ever drives it but decided to get it serviced today as she was advised it needed new computer updates. When she picked it up she was told the key battery was flat she said she realised that and would get one up the street tomorrow. She was then told she should have a BMW key battery, when she asked what was the difference she was told it was compatible with the the key starter. so she asked the price $154.00. so she said now I know the difference but I w[ll still get one up the street last time it was about seven dollars.
    Wally

blair, creekboy, diesel and 2 others like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Wally, after spending quite a few years working in the automotive industry, it does not surprise me.
    If I possessed the same writing skills as Noel, I would write a book about my experiences and probably title it 'Poor Bloody Motorist' because someone somewhere is always trying to stick it up the vehicle owner with dealerships being the worst offenders.

BMW are not in the business of manufacturing their own batteries, nor are any other car manufacturers. Practically all components in vehicle production these days are what is referred to as vender produced, outsourced rather than the high costs of in-house manufacturing of every component.

Jeff

3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    The Servo where I parked the truck I drove. One afternoon the owner of the servo asked me to look after the servo while he went to the bank, I had no problems with that. In those days it was driveway service. I would say 6 out of 10 people after refueling wanted a couple of shots of Redex put into there tank, I had a good look around the service bay but couldn't find the can. When Ron returned I told him that people wanted Redex but I couldn't find it anywhere, he showed me where he kept it, then told me it had been empty for about 2 years and he was charging 10 cents a shot and laughed.

blair, creekboy and diesel like this.
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I knew a bloke many years ago who owned a servo at Tweed Heads and he was known as Ball-joint Bill. Whenever a female customer presented a vehicle for a rego inspection he would tell her that the vehicle needed new ball-joints and invariably the poor unsuspecting woman would say go ahead and do it. Bill would not replace the ball-joints, but just clean up the old ones to look like he had. It was a good little cash generator for him.

Jeff

blair, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I am a bit like Noel, I never buy new cars, let someone else lose 50% in the first couple of years, and the last time i brought a car off a dealership would have been in 1975, every car i brought since then has been from a private vendor, yet to get a bad deal although i had to spend a bit of money on the beautiful 03 se Jacklaroo as it had been through flood water. All fluids had been changed just before i brought it, but still got stung for a air con compressor and front wheel bearings, but then got 3 years trouble free motoring from it. I am very careful who i buy off, i all ways like a nice neat house,that show people care about there belongings.
    And I have worked in the car industry(rentals) for the last 14 years
    pete

blair, creekboy, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  6. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I was in the motor industry for a while when I was in my teens. I picked up a few things that I still practice today. 1: Never take a dirty or untidy car in for a service, I head it said by mechanics quite a few times that will do it's only a **** heap.
    2: Take the speedo reading and check it when you pick up your car, I have seen them used to pick up parts
    3: Mark your filters etc, in many cases they were not changed
    People called the dealer Rip off Motors but they kept coming back.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  7. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    No 1 absolutely, if the owner doesnt care about the car, why should the mechanic worry to much, just just human nature.
    If my reliable mechanic wanted to use it that would be fine with me, as he might hear a noise, or feel a vibration that I have missed, but bear in mind I have had the same reliable trustworthy mechanic for 20 year.
    Pete

8. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    The only problem I had whith my new ute is when I took it to the dealer for 1st free service I didn't want to let them near it but felt pressured by the "free " service, a friend of a friend is sueing them for damage they did to their jeep.
    Don't usually believe in that but in this case im all for it and someone there will probably do it to the wrong person one day , the dealer employees get involved in underbelly type "business".
    Luckily I know a trustworthy mechanic now if I ever need one, I will be checking my valve clearences tomorrow. 196000 klm and my belts don't even need tightening yet still 6 mm left on the disc pads.

creekboy, Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  9. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I don't know anything about vehicles. I'm a chair person and we all have those.
    When getting the Jeep done last week, I opted to go for local cut keys that open one door and run the vehicle. There's a central lock system on the driver's door. I said it cost me $800 and I'm not complaining but had I stayed with Jeep keys and remote lock/unlock, the two keys would have almost doubled the cost of the job. I keep in mind the limited use Jeep gets nowadays. I still have microchip keys and only those will run the vehicle. My electronics mate in Canberra is a Volvo snob. Won't have, or let the grown up family have anything else. When a son in law moved to NZ, Monty sent his previous Volvo over to him and a couple of weeks later the keys were lost. Monty told me the other day that one key from Volvo, cost him $700.
    I can't get my head around that.
    Noel

creekboy, blair, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  10. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I would have done the same whith the keys Noel the chipped key is good security. Those car dealer certainly take you to the cleaners given half a chance.
    The dealer I bought my new dmax off said to keep warranty they have to service it, what a joke that's a conflict of interest I later found a pharagraph that overrode this. If I was to take it up whith them I would say "what if I am in the middle of Australia or somewhere else remote working for a year and no "approved" dealer to do servicing? I would not buy a vehicle with that stipulation" also who is going to "service" the vehicle a first year apprentice daydreaming about a girl he met on the weekend? or one of tools previously mentioned. I rang the dealer one day and asked what engine oil it had in it and they didn't know and didn't know what oil to use to top up the engine which was using a small amount of oil being new.
    If you want to check out a car dealer just type in your search bar the dealer name and location name and problems and see how many complaints and problems come up. I did this whith a courier recently that "lost" my parcel it was incredible what came up on the search they have a 1 star rating and is only because you have to give a rating so you can lodge a review/complaint, I got my missing goods later after they has been replaced after letting the courier and supplier how its going to go if I don't get them soon.:mad:

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  11. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I've seen in most of the few workshops I've been in, advertisements that they can service vehicles under warranty. We've met people out on the road who had the problem Blair writes of. It's 99.9% bluff. Dealers can't be held to that idea legally these days
    Noel.

creekboy, blair and kev209 like this.
  12. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I was under the impression if you were a registered mechanic you could service and carry out repairs providing you use genuine parts. And it would not interfere with your warranty.

13. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Kev X2. Lyall.

blair and kev209 like this.
  14. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Under Australian consumer law a dealer cannot force a vehicle owner to have servicing and repairs carried out exclusively by the dealer network. Also, they cannot stipulate that genuine parts only are to be used to ensure continued warranty on the vehicle, but in the event of the failure of a non genuine part resulting in repairs, the cost of those repairs are not covered under the warranty.

It is in the best interest of a vehicle owner to have their vehicle serviced by the dealer where possible for the following reasons:

1. A dealer has the latest updated info on servicing and repair procedures that is not readily available outside the network.

2. The use of genuine parts ensure there is no problem with warranty that is covered right across the dealer network. Genuine parts carry a 12 month 20,000km warranty that is easily traceable through the dealer network service records. Genuine parts are also modified as required when problems show up with a particular part and the non modified parts are withdrawn from dealer parts stock, but this doesn't happen with non genuine parts.
    Most genuine parts carry a suffix letter on the part number and this denotes the number of modifications to the part, e.g a part that has the suffix letter 'a' has been modified once and a part that has the letter 'c' is up to the 3rd modification.

3. All vehicle distributors in Australia have a hotline phone number to call should a vehicle owner be less than happy with the treatment received in a dealership and if it is determined that the dealer has in fact treated a customer badly, penalties do apply usually in the form of reduced allocation of new vehicle stock over a given period. So, it is in the best interest of the dealer to treat their customers right or suffer the penalty. This does not happen outside of the dealer network.

Jeff

blair, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  15. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I always use genuine parts during warranty period then maybe other for filters etc, Isuzu truck down the road is quite good on price for parts and good service, if I go to car dealer not so good. They (Isuzu trucks) should sell utes as well.

diesel likes this.