1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Stainless steel/Aluminium

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Garfield28, Feb 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Hi All,

Sorry, but yet another thread asking for help.
    As stated within this forum before I bought an aluminium trailer and as it was Chinese within a couple of months all of the steel components on the trailer started rusting out quite badly. I am fixing it up so I can sell it and I am wanting to replace the rusted bolts with stainless steel bolts but I am concerned about corrosion as I've read somewhere before in the past that mixing the 2 together will cause corrosion 100% for sure.

I am just wondering if there is a better alternative to using the stainless steel bolts or if I can still use them with something to prevent the corrosion taking place.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks
    Geoff

2. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    blair and Garfield28 like this.
  3. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Cheers Tackleberry. Mate as I got them from work for nothing I have 304 stainless steel bolts, washers and nuts, they be ok mate ? Does the paste just squeeze out when you tighten the nuts mate?

Could I use fibreglass washers on it Tackleberry? I can get them from work for nothing too

Cheers mate

blair likes this.
  4. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    I doubt that fiberglass washers would be safe as with the vibration and stresses of bouncing brown the road would flog them out (maybe) .
    And with the past you don't slap a heap on like silicon you smear just enough on and it forms a barrier that stops galvanic corrosion which is what you want to stop ......

5. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Thanks Tackleberry.
    You get aluminium trailer and and think it's all good never replace or worry about a trailer ever again and then read nightmare stories of aluminium being eaten by using stainless steel bolts.

blair likes this.
  6. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    They should be put together the same as barcrusher boats , I had a mate working there years ago and it was a sacking offence to screw anything in a boat without some duralac on it ......

blair likes this.
  7. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Yeah I wish I never bought a bloody Chinese trailer! Still cost me near $5k though.

So good stuff mate the duralac then

blair likes this.
  8. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Yes . I ran in to a bloke a couple of years ago that has business in Sydney that makes and rebuilds yacht masts and he told me that they have rebuilt masts that they built 40 years ago and there was no corrosion where all the stainless fittings were .
    It was one of the few times I have found a great product before someone told me about it ......

9. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Thanks heaps mate
    Hopefully there's directions on the pack how to apply. Hard to believe that a simple bit if paste could stop the corrosion.

blair likes this.
  10. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Use it very sparingly and use gloves it is not exactly human friendly and is very tacky but it's the best anti galvanic corrosion paste on the market

11. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    As far as I know stainless steel is closest to aluminium on the galvanic scale, 316 stainless better for saltwater than 304. I think 304 will be ok give the trailer a hose off whith freshwater when finished hosing off boat after being out in saltwater.

Garfield28 likes this.