1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Tacklebox/Outlaw Spinnerbaits Fishing Yarn Giveaway

Discussion in 'Freebies and special offers' started by Got Buckley's, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Got Buckley's

Got Buckley's Queanbeyan NSW

Jul 25, 2008
    With the new look site and a heap of new members (and new freebies section) I had a yarn with Tim and Steve and we have got another give away for tacklebox members. Steve from Outlaw Spinnerbaits has generously offered 6 of his big Outlaw Spinnerbaits trollers fully rigged with stingers and plastics for six lucky TBX'ers.

We decided on an "Tacklebox/Outlaw Spinnerbaits Fishing Yarn give away" All you need to do to give yourself a chance of winning an Outlaw Spinnerbaits Troller is simply post up a yarn about your fishing adventures. This way all members can get in and have a go at winnining a troller.

Who will win is anyones guess, and what they post to win is also a mystery. You can tell us about one of them special days on the water where it all went to plan or the day when everything that could go wrong did. Strange happenings on the water or even stranger going ons back at camp. That big fish caught or that one that left you gutted . That magical sunset or the miserable night spent in the snow. Maybe tell us where you would like to use one of these big Outlaw Spinnerbaits trollers. ( could butter up one of the judges ) Just tell a yarn ( long or short ) and you have a crack at winning. Use Pictures vids etc, be creative.

The comp is open to any current TBX member (australia wide) as of the time of this post and it will run until midnight the 19th of July 2009. At that time Steve,Tim and myself will pick two winners each who will have one of these trollers posted out them.

Heres a look at what is up for grabs.

[​IMG]

1 1/4oz Six Shooter, 1 1/4oz Spinnerbait,1 1/4 Duel Spin
    2 oz Six Shooter, 2 oz Spinnerbait, 2 oz Double Barrel

and heres a look at one i got to give you an idea of the size.

[​IMG]

They are bloody BIG, ranging from 1 1/4 oz to 2 oz heads with all sorts of blade configerations from two to six blades. Great on the troll or even on the cast working that deep water on the slow roll. With the extra weight you can keep them down deep in the strike zone where they need to be with the BIG blades doing the job.

Remember that the give away is open for every current member australia wide ( have a go you younger members) and its all for a bit of fun so jump in and have a go?

and a big thanks to tacklebox.com.au and Outlaw Spinnerbaits for giving me the opportunity to post this up, well done boys.

2. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    well i might kick start this off with a great day story.

our second trip up to the murray searchng for BIG cod. both times have been for a week. last year we put in over 50hours on the water and landed only a 70 cm cod. this year the weather was better and so was the fishing. we had put in 3 solid days of fishing with only a few yellas to be had. the following morning we told ourselves right!, its a 5 am start and today is time for some hard yards trolling all day. well by 7:30 am we had our first strike, and it was a good one. my old man landed his first ever meter fish, going at 101cms. we were all on a high and no matter what happened for the rest of the trip, it was a success.

We trolled all day that day and nothing at all, then on our last run for the day, no less than 20 meters from where my old man caught his fish, i was SMASHED!!!! line peeled off and i was into a good fish. it surfaced and i was stoked. she went 98 on the brag mat, beating my pb by neary 300mm.

so 2 great fish in 1 day, almost from the same snag is something ill never forget, as will dad. its was a great trip and look forward to next time ;)

3. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    This one is when I was in Darwin about 17 years ago.

A mate and I drove to a secluded boat ramp at Leaders Creek where we also set up camp for a couple of days fishing. We our tinny and headed out to fish around the Vernons Islands. Early on in the day I hooked a Northern Tuna which I filleted to use as bait. The rest of the day we bagged a few nice fish and had a heap of fun casting poppers at GTs and Queenfish. Everything was around the 5-7 kilo mark.

The day was getting on so we headed back in, but as there was still and hour or so until nightfall, we threw the anchor out in a junction of the creek that had a 20ft hole.

I set out a live bait on my 15kg short stroker rig and cracked a cold one, which tasted of fish blood as we only had the one 40lt esky. Beer and fish all mixed in together.

I then spied the remains of the tuna on the floor of the boat, so cut a strip off and threw it on a 80lb handline. As the fillet had been in the sun all day, it was dried out and pretty tough.

After a while of no action I decided I needed to take a pee. Mid way through me emptying the recycled beer out of my body, the hand line suddenly started jumping all over the place and spinning at 100 miles an hour.

Quick as lightning I grabbed the line and tried to halt whatever was on the other end. I had no gloves on and I learnt pretty quickly that 80lb line zipping through fingers tends to cut the flesh. Right at this time the spool of the hand line, which was jumping around everywhere, bounced out of the tinny into the water.

So there I was, standing in the tinny, line ripping through my bleeding fingers, the handline spool in the water spinning madly, and I still had my old fella out.

I screamed to my mate to grab the handline spool and as he moved over to grab it out of the water, the tinny tilted and I scrambled to keep balance. Somehow I managed to stay aboard, which is a good thing, considering we saw a few crocs on our way back into the creek. My mate got hold of the handline spool and passed it over and I put a lock on the fish.

After a bit of struggling, the fish started to tire and all of a sudden this decent sized Black Jewfish surfaced beside the boat. I looked over to my mate who had the landing net in his hand and eyes the size of dinner plates. I told him "Don't worry about the net, get the @$#^&%! gaff!!!". To which he replied, "I think I left the gaff at home!".

@^&&*$@%&@!! I said and somehow we manhandled the fish into the boat and stood there looking at it and the 40lt esky. I took this opportunity to put the old fella away and sat down to finish my beer.

This was a nice sized fish but even filleted, it wasn't going to fit in the esky. So we ended up pulling the boat out, hiding it in the bush and hightailed it for the two hour drive back to Darwin with the fish in the boot.

As I was a member of the Army fishing club, so we headed to the Club Captain's house and had it weighed before cutting it up and sharing it around. I also took the opportunity to clean out the line cuts on my fingers and apply a few bandaids. I probably should have gotten a stitch or two but we had the drive back to camp site and another’s day fishing to be had.

It was about midnight before we got back to the campsite and would you believe, we didn't catch a thing the next day.

4. Craig_B_

Craig_B_ Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Great work Bucks, and very good of Steve to get on board.
    Those Outlaw spinnerbaits are well worth putting up a story no matter how embarrasing it maybe!

Look forward to reading soem good yarn's :)

-Boobs

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Hey Buck thanks and many thanks to Steve and Tim

6. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    beautiful arvo on a saturday sitting around the bar b q with a few good mates and eventualy the chat turns to fishing and where they are biting.after a quick review of who should be the designated drivers we are off to chase the elusive and majestic murray cod in a little known area of the broken river with a few rapids and some beautiful pools that just look great for fishing.2 cars, 6 people a few rods and some eskys later we are there and have to navagate the 10 meters from the cars through the meat ants we just stirred up to the little bridge that only takes one at a time. needless to say this was a challenge.down to the water and everyone splits up thinking they are to catch the big one. 2 people go swimming in a little pool with an esky beside them watching the others fire cast after cast into a small pool that has everything that looks fishy.5 minutes go past and someone has to go swimming for their lure and 10 minutes later with the gallery going off there are 2 cod landed one after the other going 600mm and 700mm
    30 minutes later with no further fish the rods are then packed up and people packed up and guided back through the vicious ant infested land back to the cars and home we go still talking about the time had with good friends on a little know creek out in the middle of nowhere
    good times, good friends, good fish
    for the outlaw in us all

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  7. Got Buckley's

Jul 25, 2008
    thats the stuff fella's,some good reading, great trip that one chrisso and lucky your handline didnt wrap around something else John :shocked: and bignoel has the idea, good mates on the river in the middle of nowhere with a few beers, cant beat it.

should be a good read this thread when its done and dusted. And no need to thank me fellas, i just raised the idea, its the other lads who made it possible. I'll post one up myself, just not sure which trip to talk about or which mate to take the piss out of :unsure:.

(The following post is a great yarn that was passed onto me by Steve, and im glad he did, a ripper of a yarn that was written by Colin Carrington aka Mulga Bill. And from what I have heard I would love to share a beer around the camp fire and hear it from the horses mouth , Top work Bill )

cheers

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  8. Got Buckley's

Jul 25, 2008
    The "Outlaw Ned and Old Man Murray" yarn

Outlaw Ned and Old Man Murray
    Outlaw Ned was a professional fisherman on the Murrumbidgee for forty years or so, until he was busted for using gill nets below ‘regulation size’. Ned tried to tell the Inspector that years of use must have caused the nets to shrink. But it didn’t cut. So poor old Ned had his fishing gear seized and lost his licence . He swore that was the end of him and New South bloody Wales. He’d move to Victoria.

Ned heard that Lake Mulwala was a ‘hot spot’ fair seething with ripper cod. He settled into a Caravan Park at Yarrawonga. All he could afford as a replacement for his confiscated boat and motor, was a battered old twelve foot aluminium V bottom with a clapped out 2.5 horsepower motor.Ned was quickly amongst the cod and his nose soon sniffed out the ‘black market’ for surplus catches. He was ‘on the way up’, but wished for a more respectable boat.

Rarely did Ned lose a cod once hooked. But at one deep hole in the lake with plenty of dead trees and snags, he’d been broken off by a big ‘un several times while trolling. Despite trying every spinner and lure available he never got a strike again. Then when his ‘cheese flavoured’ bardi grubs also failed, Ned reckoned someone must have caught the monster.

Ned was the pioneer of using cheese for cod bait. On the ‘bidgee one dry year, he’d tried fattening up bardies by putting grated cheese down their holes. Coming back a month or so later for them. These cheese flavoured bardies proved irresistible to cod. Fair dinkum! If you don’t believe me – try it!

One day Ned was drifting over the deep hole and saw an amazing sight. Just below the surface the monster cod was upright on his tail. Hanging all around his mouth was a great collection of lures and spinners. Enough to open a tackle shop!

Strangely there was no more than one of any type of lure or spinner. Then the cod, which he’d named Old Man Murray, rolled on his side and swam past a row of young cod, that were obviously his students. Because of the angle Old Man swam, just one lure worked on each run.

By swimming by at different angles, one by one, Old Man showed the youngsters what each lure or spinner looked like. The lesson was clear – stay well clear of these!

Ned tried a cheese flavoured bardi, Old Man glided up and puckered his lips against it, then with his eyes followed the line back up to the boat where Ned was peering over the side. Old Man winked, blew some water out of his mouth to reject the bardi, and resumed lecturing his students.

That night Ned tossed and turned as he tried to work it out. Finally, like the ringing of cross line bell on a still night, all became clear. Old Man had only made the mistake of going for one particular type of lure or spinner just once.

Also, he was cautious with any type of bait. To catch him, Ned must be first to tempt him with some new type of ‘simply irresistible’ spinner. Ned checked the local tackle shops. Nothing new, But he noticed a poster for a big fishing competition on Lake Mulwala. No Mulwala Classic; this was a comp for the ‘little bloke’ – the battler in the sport.

Boats could not exceed 12 feet, nor motors 3 horsepower. Ned’s tinny qualified. First prize, for the biggest cod was a magnificent brand new Savage aluminium 4.35 metre with a 30 horsepower Evinrude outboard. All Ned needed was a new ‘killer spinnerbait ’ that the Old Man had not seen.

That Friday night in the bar of the Victoria Hotel, Ned overheard some boozers say; a mate Steve from Myers Flat, over Eaglehawk way, had completed trials on a new lure that attracts cod like a dead sheep does blowies! For a couple of beers, Ned soon had Steve’s phone number.

Ned got on the ‘dog and bone’ to Steve and was darn pleased to learn the radically new spinnerbaits would hit the market the Monday prior to the fishing comp. As they gave fish little chance, they were called ‘Outlaw Spinnerbaits’. Old Ned a ‘modern day’ Outlaw, chuckled, all was sewn up!

Ned sent his dough over for a full set. They arrived on Wednesday. Upon opening the package Ned reckoned he’d been dudded. They were poncy, colourful, decorative feathery things, looking more like a stripper’s pasties than spinners!

But when Ned tried them - they were more effective than gelignite. And what’s more fully legal! Ned readied his gear, a 250 pound breaking strain line to troll the fanciest Outlaw Spinnerbait with and rested for the battle to come on Saturday.

After registering, Ned headed for the big hole. On the first run he felt the Outlaw Spinnerbait working perfectly. Then. Twang! The big rod was nearly pulled out of his hands, the boat sprung back and to one side, going down to the gunwales. Ned braced his feet and settled in for a long struggle. He must wait till the Old Man tired.

For two hours Old Man swam in circles testing the line, veering off at times trying to break it, or throw the spinnerbait. Next he swam in figure eights for about three hours, before going back to circle work. Ned doubted he’d land him and make the weigh in time.

With just twenty minutes left, Old Man took off heading straight for the weigh in pier. Ned’s tinny moved so fast across the lake - you’d have thought it was being towed by a nuclear submarine! Now that cod must have thought he was all but a goner, he decided to surrender and put his fate in the hands of Outlaw Ned. Which under normal circumstances, would have been a very bad decision!

Slowing down approaching the weigh in, the cod launched himself up onto the flat tray scales with just seconds to spare. Two hundred and fifty three pounds! A clear winner. Cameras flashed and Ned with lordly pride and appreciation, removed the Outlaw Spinnerbait. Then to a roar of applause gently rolled Old Man over and back into the water.

Ned rightly reckoned the old fella deserved his freedom for winning him the bonza new boat and motor.But the Old Man had the last laugh...................

The officials advised Ned he’d been disqualified. “Disqualified – disqualified for what!†Ned roared in protest!

“Your boats too long! It’s measuring twelve feet six inches †was the reply. By towing the tinny around all day, Old Man had stretched it by six inches!!!!!!!!!!!

Why it’s enough to put a bloke off bloody fishing Ned ranted. But it didn’t!

From that day on Outlaw Ned changed his ways, thinking of all the fish he had caught over the years, knowing that in time they too could have become “Old Men†themselves. He now lets them swim away knowing that, with the help of his new “secret weaponâ€, he will have the privilege of coming back to do battle with another of these mighty old men.

Outlaw Ned no longer feeds cheese to bardi grubs. Ned says fair dinkum “Outlaw Spinnerbaits are all hand made by a dinkum Aussie battler Steven Gaunt over Eaglehawk way and are the deadly on cod and the yeller’s. They’re also red hot for estuary and salt water fishing, so when it’s closed season for cod, that’s where you’ll find him.

He just hopes his secret doesnt get out....

9. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    bucks that's a brilliant story hugely entertaining. Will have to write something up for this one methinks!

10. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    My first cod.

Everybody has a first fish story.
    I caught my first cod when I was five, fittingly it was “about five pounds”.
    I don’t really remember catching the fish, but I do remember the events leading up to it.
    My uncle was a bit of a strange bloke to say the least, he owned a property only six kilometre’s from the Khancoban dam, but had every one of his farm dam’s stocked with native’s.
    To this day he loathes trout fishing, and due to lack of water and a major fish kill in his main dam, he doesn’t have any natives stocked in his dams anymore.
    Anyway on this balmy Summers day I was plugging away with the trusty Number One Stump Jumper, determined that I would prove my old man and my uncle wrong, and I really could catch a native fish on a lure.
    The gear I was using was primitive to say the least.
    A heavy fibreglass rod and a crouch reel with 20lb mono on it.
    As the day went on I cast and cast, something just told me that if I cast where the shade was on the dam I would get a fish.
    Suddenly, WHACK! The rod went crazy and I was screaming to my dad and my uncle “I’ve got a fish! I’ve got a fish!”
    Now as you guys with young blokes will know, every five-year-old “has a fish” on the end of his line at least a couple of times a day.
    Finally I convinced dad maybe I was telling the truth, he casually sauntered over to where I was fishing (it was just out of sight of where they were having a bbq), saw the bow in the rod, said “sh*t he has got one on!” and came over to me.
    With a bit of coaching I finally managed to get this wonderfully conditioned fish onto the bank, where it was quickly dehooked and released.
    It was another 10 years before I finally got another cod on a lure, and again it was on the trusty stump jumper.
    But from that moment, where I had that solid hit I think I knew that this was something I’d always love.
    There was a time during my teens where my family thought I’d drop fishing, and I nearly completely stopped it, because I was fishing with bait and hated every minute of it.
    I’d always be begging dad to let us do some trolling, I think I always preferred lure fishing over bait fishing.
    Finally, armed with a heap of FWF magazines I got into flicking lures. I spent countless days casting at every snag along our stretch of river, and got zip, but then one day I went for a trip down to the lock near Wentworth and got my first yella on a cast lure.
    The rest as they say, is history. I've spent thousands of dollars on new gear, I'm seriously considering a career in fishing journalism and I get to get out on the water every weekend and do something that I love.
    As for my uncle, well he's getting a nice surprise this year. I've talked to my dad a fair bit and he's agreed to go halves with me to completely restock my uncle's two main dams.
    Maybe in 10 years time I'll be the disbelieving father as my child hooks his or her first fish on a lure.

11. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    bucks, CRACKIN YARN MATE!!! WELL DONE lol. good plugs too.;)

12. Got Buckley's

Jul 25, 2008
    Yeah its a gooden and a good plug lol, the funny thing about it was how it came about.

Steve was at a pub and heard a bloke out the back sharing a bit of bush poetry, so steve sat back and took in a few of Bills yarns and when he was done Steve introduced himself and thanked him for sharing his work. Several days later steve was checking a few emails and out of the blue came across "Outlaw Ned and Old Man Murray", So you could imagine how suprised steve was.

I had forgotten about it untill I kicked the comp off and stevo joked " If its a yarn comp ,I could enter with the Outlaw Ned yarn". So i thought i would post it up and a few of you blokes might enjoy the read.

cheers

13. stormboy

stormboy New Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Certainly is a very good read there Bucks.:)

14. virty

virty New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    To kind Steve & Bucks ;) .

15. natha

natha New Member

Jun 28, 2009
    the best trip

On a lovly saturday my dad took my brother and me fishing for the weekend. We camped at Kiffins in Mulwala. My brother was 11 and I was 10. My brother was surposed to play cricket lol.After setting up camp we put the boat in. It was going to be a good night with couple of hours of light so we went out to catch a BIG fish.

We got to this spot it had a few logs. I baited my hook with a shrimp and worm coctail. I casted between these two logs while my brother was flicking a lure around then waited. Ten minutes later I was on. i was just like this is a BIG ONE and my dads like hold on to it.

He quickly got on the other side of the boat and then he was holding on to me. Line peeled and I paniced. My dad was swearing and my bro was screaming.I took my time getting it in my dad was giving me a hand. After while i was still reeling it in i only had 50 pound braid it had alot of fight in it.

Another 10mins or so later I netted a 1mtr cod (with a little help from my dad). After taking a few pictures, my dad held my pants (so I wouldn't fall in) while I released the fish of my dreams.

I was like thanks dad for bring me fishing and im so pleased to that day i went fishing because my brother did the right thing by not playing cricket.So far nobody in my family has beaten me. I am the camp champ still. Now im 14 and remeber it to this day what a catch hoping for another.
    cheers nathan

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  16. Timbo

Timbo Member

Nov 4, 2008
    OK here we go
    About 10-15 years ago myself and 3 mates headed to Eucumbene last weekend in May for the fish before the rivers closed. We were staying at Providence Portal from the Friday until sunday. We drove up thursday night ready to start fishing at daylight. Arrived about 3-00am and had a snooze for a couple of hours in the car and got up and put the boats in and went fishing. All good day 1 with a few fish on the troll and a nice day. Next morning leave cabin head to water. Fog, ice and bloody freezing cold, put our 10 ft tinny in water, and mate puts 4 mtr quinny in water. Mate and i sit on life jacket in 10 ft tinny because of ice. We take off into the fog following 4 mtr tinny and drive over wake and mate and i both slide to same side on life jackets, boat goes up on side and i am hanging on to one gunnel and feet are on the other gunnel and i am standing up stright, Yep we are going over. Mate done the dive into water hoping i could push it back level, but no over i went too. First words were S$#T its cold. Mate in other boat saw us go in and flew back and dragged us out of the water. We had tackle boxes bobbing in the water and slowly sinking, lost rods reels gear. We tied tinnie to back of boat and dragged it back to sure and rolled it overand left other 2 mates there too sort it out why we went to try and get warm. We got back to cabin and stripped off and tried to get into shower but the cold water was even burning, so we both stood in the middle of the lounge with heater, stove, oven on high trying to warm up enough to be able to get into the shower. Eventually both had showered and warmed up and went down to sort the boat out. Scavanged some gear off mated and went out again and landed some good fish, but this story still comes up today between us.
    Rule 1: Dont sit on life jackets when icy in small tinny:wacko:
    Rule 2: Dont trust your mates driving ;)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  17. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Your very lucky to be alive timbo.A couple of my mates did the same and were also very lucky.I wont go out in the lake during winter in anything that small.Ive seen 1m waves on the lake many times before.

18. Timbo

Timbo Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Lucky our other mate saw us, because i had hold of the boat still with a death grip (no pun intended) and my mate was paddling a 15 meters from the boat. Man it is hard swimming with 10 layers of clothes on as well.
    Lucky all turned out well at the end

19. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Bloody lucky man,dont EVER wear waders in a boat either you are dead for sure if you end up in the drink.

20. dave.c

dave.c Davo

Jan 11, 2009
    Sure were lucky timbo , Im one of the mates that wharf is talking about so I know exactly what you went through.I might do a write up myself later.