1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Talking Heads

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by diesel, Sep 16, 2018.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Over the past couple of years I have become a full blown soft plastics freak with Squidgies and Charlie Brewer Sliders being my go to sp's of choice, but I've never really put the effort into selecting jigheads based on what is good and what is not so good. Usually, when I wander through the effing section of bcf, it is the bling of new reels, rods and lures that reaches out to me and I walk out with something that makes me feel good, but once again, I am forgetting that most important bit of gear - the hook or jighead.

So, all you soft plastic people, tell me what you use and why you think it is best.

Jeff

AJ Fishman, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I like to use the TT Revheads. Adds a bit of flash! But they are expensive so I pick the times when I use them...basically, when I am chasing trophy...redfin...anything really!
    TT Revhead.jpg
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Travelling that Road To Nowhere!

3. AJ Fishman

AJ Fishman Active Member

Oct 27, 2017
    I have caught a yellowbelly on a soft plastic with that same jig head

4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks for the response, Jim & AJ, after more than 30 views of this thread and no answer, I was starting to think that apart from Noel, none of you southerners were using sp's.

I had a look at the TT Revheads a while back and as you say, Jim, they are expensive and I think probably more suited to 'mud puddle' fishing like you blokes get into down there than chasing tropical species in the salt up here in the centre of the universe. But, in saying that, I have at times improved my catch rate on a poor day by using a TT Jig Spinner, so a flashy blade will excite a fussy biter.

I've watched a few videos on sp's by Starlo and he goes to a hell of a lot of trouble rigging his soft plastics, even to the point of sometimes using super glue to ensure that everything stays in place and I've often thought that if you have to do that, then the jighead itself is lacking in design. I'm yet to find the right jighead that will keep the sp in place after a 'hit & miss' by maulers like barra and jacks. Just keep buying and trying, I guess.

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and AJ Fishman like this.
  5. Albatross1

Albatross1 Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Hi Jeff, I too am a big fan of Charlie Brewer Sliders, especially for Aussie bass. My favorite jig head with these is the Nitro Stealth in ¬ľoz, size 1 which fits the Sliders perfectly. I actually tart mine up a bit with airbrushing and a tough clear coat. Check them out when you have a chance. Cheers, Chris

creekboy, kev209, AJ Fishman and 2 others like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback, Chris.

So, Nitro Stealth, hey? (that's Queenslander talk, hey). I'm off to town tomorrow and will check them out. I'm yet to catch a bass, only ever had one session on them and came up with a donut, but it will happen.

Can you post a pic of your airbrushed Slider? I'm keen to see how they compare to the original.

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and AJ Fishman like this.
  7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    After having a sleepless night wrestling with the question as to why anybody would want to airbrush a soft plastic and especially a Charlie Brewer Slider, it came to me a few minutes ago when I reread your post.

You airbrush the jighead.

Doh, never mind me, I've got a good excuse - I'm a Queenslander.

Carry on.......

Jeff

8. Albatross1

Albatross1 Member

Nov 26, 2008
    No worries Jeff, I wondered what you were thinking. What do you chase with the Sliders?
    Cheers, Chris

9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Mostly mangrove jack and threadfin salmon in the salt and sooty grunter in the fresh, Chris.

Jeff

creekboy likes this.