1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Target One Million...is it working?

Discussion in 'Fishing in Victoria' started by Rod Bender, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    Whilst Victorian fisheries have a grand plan of attracting a gazillion people to fishing, I am wondering if they are achieving their goal? I heard unnoficially that some research has pointed to the fact that the T1M campaign may not be attracting that many people to fishing. After doing some research, I found a newly released media release...I posted this on another thread.
    https://www.vrfish.com.au/2019/07/2...missions-rfl-system-and-trust-account-review/
    The figures quoted in this article show that the number of licensed fishos is not increasing. However, as juniors do not require a license, it is hard to tell. What have our Victorian members noticed? Are your local spots busier than they used to be? Do you have to go further to find quiet spots? I have noticed what seems to be more rubbish left around some spots I go but I have a feeling this may be due to the locations being publicised locally.
    Cheers
    Team Bender

2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    As there is no accurate stats as to the number of anglers in Victoria, who can say if it is truly working or not.
    With the stocking of suburban lakes by fisheries, comes the negative side of people that believe the parkland that contain these lakes belong to them. Bugger the kids and people with a disability, they just want the fisho's gone. I have personally come across this mentality.

3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    It would be a hard task to monitor over a short term, Jim. Fishing is seasonal in most parts of the country and a lot of Vic retiree fishos spend the winter months up here in the north so that creates a bit of a vacuum down your way during the same time frame.

The full result of the T1M project may not be appreciated for many years as other statistics such as an increase in tourism numbers to known fishing locations become available, an increase in sales of bait & tackle supplies at those locations or even the circulation of questionnaires amongst schoolkids to gauge the degree of participation in recreational fishing. I would have thought that the implementation of a target also included some way to measure success or failure.

Jeff

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  4. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    The following is taken from the VRFish link...

" In 2017/18, the total number of recreational fishing licenses sold (258,531) was the lowest since 2008/09 and was 76,169 less than anticipated in the Regulatory Impact Statement for Recreational Fishery Licence Fees (March 2016)."

They use the figure of '76,169 less than anticipated' so I think they had some anticipated figures.
    cheers
    Team Bender

creekboy and kev209 like this.