1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Teaching grandma how to suck eggs

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Old fisho, May 25, 2020.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    This is probably a bit like that for most of you, but thought I'd try and share an idea I developed years ago one windy, unfishable day.
    When fishing Tuross in the early days, I used hard bodies and sometimes bait. Rarely caught anything of value, so decided to do some R & R. The result was a variation of a paternoster rig.
    Used for first time next day I got 29 flathead and used it until changing to SPs. Hard to find 29 fish these days. Hardly had a fish until then.
    It's a drifting boat rig and no casting is needed. Lower it overboard and let 12-15m of line run out. Close bail arm with drag set around 1/3 of lightest line in rig. No more should be about standard for most fishing. I use almost none, plus my fingers on the spool when needed. It works well in tide flow channels; anywhere with a bottom where you can fish SPs.
    The only tricky bit is getting the two hooks in the right places (distance apart). A tiny bit of slack line ensures that bait is towed only by the head. If not it can spin. It's surprising how quickly it can be towed and still catch fish. The priority is that it must be moving.
    Use wind or tide for drift; electric motor would work well too. If water is a bit bumpy, leave the rod in a holder and waves will make bait rise and fall as in SP fishing. When water is flat lift rod now and then to create lift and drop.
    You can buy tear shaped sinkers with swivel mounted. I used 10-12mm diam ball. Make a slot at the hole with screwdriver, fit swivel and crimp in with pliers. Cheaper, does same job.
    Probably takes a couple or more tries to work out distance between hooks as it has to be relevant to the bait size. I used to use 'glassies' which I think are now called white pilchards.
    It could have some application from the bank but perhaps not as effective.
    Like all flathead rigs it pays to regularly check for abrasion marks near the hook.
    Im sure you guys know as much as me about these things but if you haven't tried this, it might be of some use.
    See attached
    Noel
    IMG_6211.JPG

creekboy, Rod Bender, diesel and 2 others like this.
  2. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Havent tried it Noel but will next time I go after flatties or the daughter comes out for a fish, should work good whith whitebait.

creekboy, Old fisho and diesel like this.
  3. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    That's cool Blair.
    Haven't tried it with whitebait. Just thought the white pilchards hole together a little better with a hook through the middle of them.
    I see it (and know it works) as a great way for kids to fish. They don't have to cast. They quickly learn to understand the difference between a sinker bouncing bottom and a fish taking it. There's no waiting while a fish fools with a stationary bait and they hook themselves because the line is always straight through to the reel with the rod as a shock absorbing factor.
    Perhaps as I am failing in many areas at a rate I don't like, I should revert to using it myself more often. Haven't done for years now.
    Noel
    Never get so old you can't learn

creekboy and blair like this.