1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

THAT EUCUMBENE TRIP

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    The planned 7-10 days became almost three weeks.
    Possibly someone wonders how it all went. I'll tell you.
    We arrived Friday, son arrived later that evening.
    Next morning we walked the shore polaroiding, as in sight fishing. The lake level was dropping rapidly despite lots of water coming in from Tantangra. The shore line was slippery mud, and completely barren. At one stage both feet became well coordinated for a brief moment and slid from under me simultaneously; leaving me sitting on my bum in the ooze. Not as special as Kev's episode at Mulwala, but guaranteed messier.

We never saw a sign of a fish.

Next day, out in the boat; I decided to throw some plastics around. Others are using them there, but I had not. After three hours we went home for a beer.

We never saw a sign of a fish.

Day three; I decided to troll for a while, which is not a preferred option, but desperate needs need desperate deeds. After covering about six kilometres, using various lures; I wound in and went back to the van.

I never saw a sign of a fish.

Peter went home to work, and friends from Wagga Wagga arrived for a few days.
    Day four it was time to correct the situation. I baited four yabby nets and taking Bob with me, dropped them in a favourite spot for a couple of hours.

I never saw a sign of a yabby.

I never went out again. I know when I'm licked. It was hopeless, and I thought I could catch a fish there if I wanted one. Wrong again.
    The rest of the time was spent writing stuff, cooking great dinners, and drinking some good reds. The two dozen I took
    were perhaps stolen, as there was none left to bring home. Surely we couldn't drink them all along with half a dozen Bob had?​

Once considered impossible; I spent three weeks there and never touched a fish. Neither did any others to whom I spoke.

2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    That's strange, I got the same result in the same time without having to go fishing. Cheers, Lyall.

diesel and kev209 like this.
  3. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Then your economics would kill mine.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  4. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Bad luck mate, shame the sight fishing is so poor, althouigh I have found late spring to be the best time for it, meanwhile I am still bashing carp.
    Cheers Pete

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  5. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    That's interesting Pete as Peter and I have always done quite well during late summer and autumn. Perhaps it's more to do with the rate at which the lake level is moving down. Over that expanse of water, to see it drop around a metre and a half during our time there, is pretty incredible. And that's with Tantangra running in hard through Providence Portal. The coloured water from Tantangra was visible three kilometres down stream. Makes me wonder what it's like where it's going out. Noel

6. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I did pick up a new 2nd PB carp while u where away, put a bit of a yarn up on here. Back a bit now.
    Keep well mate Pete.

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Where did you post it Pete?

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  8. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Where is this water coming from? Rain in the catchment area or from another storage? Too bad about the fishless trip. In some regards, if it was me having to deal with slippery banks I would not have been able to wet a line! I know too when I am having these bad runs, even whilst it is happening, I am always thinking about the next trip and what I can do to change things so it is not always a loss...sometimes it motivates.

Here you go!
    http://www.tacklebox.com.au/threads/new-2nd-best-pb-carp.7709/#post-62724
    cheers
    Team Bender

Old fisho, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Got it thanks. All good.

10. Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy New Member

Mar 10, 2018

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  11. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    G'day Brian.. Welcome to a great little group. Where you from? What fish do you chase?

Did you plan to send a message as I don't see one in your post. Noel

12. Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy New Member

Mar 10, 2018
    We have enjoyed some fantastic trips to Eucumbene, always caught fish. Last trip we didn't land anything under 500mm

Attached Files:

13. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Hello again Brian. We've had an on-site van at Anglers Reach for around thirty years, so am no stranger to the place, and have had some wonderful fishing there. Just happened to visit at the wrong time that trip. We mostly fly fish these days. Love that strain of browns in your pic; those with the big black and red spots. Nicer than the others we get there at times with tiny spots, looking more like salmon. And that's a nice fish for Eucumbene these days. I tend to think the one you show is part of the wild strain, where the others might be throwbacks to the days when they used to release browns as well as rainbows. Of course I'm not certain about that; just a theory. They've not released browns for years now as their stocks are self supporting. Noel.

14. Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy New Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Hi Noel,
    I am from Beechworth, love fishing with my son Jude. We chase Cod, yellas, trout mostly, reddies sometimes. Manage a coastal trip usually a couple of times a year. Posted to urge you not to give up on Eucumbene, you sounded more than a little dissapointed, we have been lucky enough to hit it when it is firing. A friend went up last weekend and although just caught one, the guy on the boat ramp had 4 big browns he had trolled apparently flatlining.

15. Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy New Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Ah, just got your reply. Well you would know the water a
    lot better than I.

16. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    That's all good and kind thinking too. Thanks Brian. I'm not known as a giver upper. Years ago son Peter and I fished Eucumbene for twelve days straight and never saw a fish. But we've seen it too, when it was as the late John Sautelle named one of his books; 'Champagne Fishing'. I still love the place for some strange reason, but medical issues prevent me from using as I'd like. I have a brother not so far from you who fished Mulwala a lot, but it's a fishing area of which I know little. I'm at Tuross Head south of Batemans Bay after years in business in Queanbeyan. We have only minutes away, one of the best estuarine lakes on the coast, and get some fantastic flathead. We are ardent caravaners who once spent most of six years out there, and in spite of the problems did a jaunt to Darwin over six months last year. Stay in touch. We want more new people like you. Noel.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  17. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I am from sunny Shepparton! I love the Beechworth area but don't get there enough. Many years ago I would do daytrips to the area...Woolshed falls in particular (not fishing) and I have fished Lake Kerferd a few times with no luck. I think I may have some questions for you at one point but I may start another thread some time. Welcome to the site.
    cheers
    Jim

18. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Noel, I wonder if what you experienced with the absence of fish is a sign of things to come for trout fishing. I recently read an article regarding the decline in wild trout numbers due to the extremely hot summers resulting in higher water temperatures. The article mainly covered Vic waters, but if the science is correct, it would also apply to places like Eucumbene.

There is concern that with the increase in water temps and the loss of fish, there will be an increase in those fishing cooler waters in the higher mountain ranges and this in turn will result in a lot of pressure on fish stocks and also fish size. Research and anecdotal evidence suggests that up to 50% of wild trout waters are already lost due to increased temperatures.

Is this the beginning of the end for trout fishing in a lot of areas?

Jeff

19. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Good morning to you Jeff.
    There are some similarities between your thoughts and information we've collected. One I've not had explained in any way. I think last year; when the trout ran up the Eucumbene River to spawn, a fairly normal number of browns were counted. (that counting is a normal thing for fisheries people to do) When time for the rainbows to run, a far from normal number were counted. There were quite a lot of good browns caught earlier in the season, and I have little info on rainbows.

No doubt warmer waters affect trout. They are a cold water creature. The lake is still cold water as the depth alone maintains that, and it's not an issue up in the mountains. The surface temperature can reach above 20C, but go down perhaps only half a metre, and it will be only a few degrees. Not many people drown there. Hypothermia usually kills first. In winter it can take only a few minutes. We have seen ice on the surface a couple of times.

Temperatures in our rivers may well be rising, but perhaps not all due to climate change. Many more, and we have examples close by, that were once blue ribbon trout streams, but now have no water at all apart from rain flooding. This is largely due (according to the gospel of St Noel) to hobby farmers and the like creating thousand of little dams, preventing water from reaching these smaller streams, and of course it follows that the smaller streams no longer feed the larger ones as they once did. That could well exacerbate the problem of rising temperatures in larger rivers. We have near here, both the Numeralla and the Bredbo, which I saw a few weeks ago as dry gravel beds. They were once wild trout breeding streams. The Queanbeyan River was also a top trout stream, but is now badly silted due to several man made foolish actions, and of course, carp infestation. One section close to our townhouse when we lived there, was about 1.2m deep. These days it's about 200mm. I used to see browns feeding there at evening. No more of course.

This is a big subject with too many variables to have simple answers, but it's serious stuff. Noel.

kev209, creekboy and diesel like this.
  20. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    One interesting bit of info I read about Eucumbene was to do with the vast areas of weed beds that have proliferated since the very low water event of '09/10. Where weed infestation has had an adverse effect on a lot of waterways around the country, it appears that the spread of water vegetation in Eucumbene may be of great benefit to trout due to the increase of various water critters such as yabbies, shrimp, beetles and mudeyes. The only downside is that the weeds make it harder for bait fishos, but may be a good thing for you fly fishing boffins.

An interesting subject, Noel. I know bugger all about trout fishing, but I find the science of fish management strategies very fascinating, especially those that deal with both climate change and habitat loss. I had never considered the impact that hobby farming would have on the waterways, but I guess it is no different to the impact that large water storage for irrigation is having on the Murray/Darling catchment - just not as big.

Jeff