1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

The 1%'ers...

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Rod Bender, May 21, 2020.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    ...and I'm not talking about the 'outlaw' motorcylists!

I was talking to someone the other day in regards to his mate who often catches large cod. He always fishes in 'stealth' mode. He has carpet on the floor of his boat, like others do, to reduce noise. He also has carpet on the side of the boat to reduce noise.

He fishes a 'snag' from all angles and tries to get different action from all of his lures. He pays a lot more attention to detail than I do!:cool:

I would be interested to know if any members here have any tips in regards to going that little bit further. Even the basic stuff like having fresh bait rather than frozen bait, checking knots etc. What is a priority when you fish?
    Cheers
    Team Bender

creekboy, blair, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    PM Noel

creekboy and blair like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Generally whenever I go fishing I have to travel a fair distance and because I prefer to fish the salt rather than mudholes, that distance is 400kms or more. To travel that far and not get fish is not an option as far as I'm concerned, so I don't leave anything to chance.

Making sure that the gear I take is the right gear for the fish I am targeting and having backup gear is essential. I never use old leader, hooks or terminal tackle from the last trip - it's cheap enough to replace for every trip or even on a daily basis. I've fished with blokes who use the best of rods and reels, but are too lazy or tight-arse to replace hooks when they consistently miss strikes.

I wont use frozen bait for any type of fishing and making sure I have the means and the location to collect fresh bait is very important.

Jeff

4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Another thing that makes the difference between those who consistently catch good fish and those who score repetitive donuts is the power of observation.

The fisherman who spends the time taking in the whole picture of the fishing location will generally do better than those who just throw a line in because it's an easy spot to do so. If I'm fishing a beach for the first time, I spend a whole day observing the gutters at various levels of the tide. The same goes for flats fishing, I like to walk the flats at low tide looking for signs of a food source that will attract fish, especially whiting.

Using a good home made burley will often improve your fishing and I rarely fish anywhere without chucking something out as an appetiser.

Jeff

5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Same as above except I put carpet on my lures:D

6. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Some of the things you mention Jeff are things that I am aware of...but just too lazy in the past to follow through with. I have been caught out when I noticed line frayed or kinked and haven't bothered replacing it and it has cost me. I need to leave my phone alone also!

Yesterday I tried casting to slightly different spots in the hole as opposed to the usual spots, close to snags and slightly upstream. I lost a rig on a submerged snag that I didn't know was there. A target for next time!
    Cheers
    Jim

blair, kev209 and diesel like this.
  7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Rod Bender, blair and kev209 like this.
  8. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    As a teenager, while fishing in the Yarra at Heidelberg, I got snagged on a submerged branch I would say. The old bloke fishing near me said snagged pal, I replied yep, when I get set up I'll cast straight out away from the snag,
    he replied cast back where you were, if your not loosing bottoms your fishing in the wrong spot. I've heard this said a few times over the years. Our son was told the same thing while fishing in the Murray.

Rod Bender, blair and diesel like this.
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    You're spot on Kev. I've seen it many times where other fishos totally avoid areas that contain structure such as submerged logs etc and then wonder why they are not catching fish.

It hurts to lose your favourite lures on snags especially those top shelf ones like Rapalas, but if you want the fish you have to be prepared to sacrifice some gear. I carry a box of sacrificial lures for those occasions where I want to test the waters around snaggy timber, mangroves, oyster leases etc. Once I'm convinced that I can repetitively cast to a snag without losing gear then I change to a lure that is a proven fish magnet. If I'm baitfishing and constantly getting snagged, I will rig up a bubble float so that I can get into the zone without getting snagged.

Jeff

kev209, Rod Bender and blair like this.
  10. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I usually have something whith me that save $millions a tackleback, a weighted clip that slides down a bit of chord or heavy mono and clips onto your lure or bumps it off the snag, u need an angle steep enough to slide it down on taught line, nearly always works.

kev209, diesel and Rod Bender like this.
  11. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Yeah, they work okay if you get the angle right, but pretty useless otherwise. I've made them for years out of #8 fencing wire and a big sinker. I don't bother with them anymore, easier to just keep pulling until something gives and more often than not the hook straightens if using heavy braid & leader.

Jeff

blair and kev209 like this.
  12. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    A sensible fishing post Mr Bender.
    As I see it:
    All fish are females and as such are difficult to predict. Nobody gets it right all the time.
    What worked yesterday may not work today but there's some basic rules I adhere to.
    1. My most important weapon is stealth. Never tell the fish you are there. I can't put enough value on this.
    I fish best when alone and believe that most others are too casual about vibrations through water; not sound. You could fire a shotgun over trout surface feeding on insects and it won't disturb them. Bump your foot on the ground and they're spooked. THIS DOES NOT APPLY ONLY TO TROUT. All fish are sensitive to that kind of noise which is easy to create in a boat.
    2. I wear footwear with rubber soles and try to never drop anything other than swear words while out there.
    3. I use an electric motor to approach fishing areas and never put the boat where I intend to fish. Conversely, view it another way, never fish where the boat's been. This is less important in deep stuff as you'd imagine. Most of our water is only 2m and of course much less over the sand bars. I usually have the electric running while casting, sometimes to move slowly against the tide, other times just to hold station. When moving forward, always cast forward before the boat gets there. None of this applies to bait fishers apart from the stealth factor.
    4. Apart from chasing whiting, I don't bait fish. I've not been into 'chuck it and chance it' fishing since i was a kid. I prefer taking the fishing to the fish, rather than wait for the fish to come to me. Also important; keep fishing seriously. If using lures or flies, fish it to the last metre of the cast.
    5. I change rods and lures often. This is me being lazy. Easier to change rods than lures, which I also do regularly using choices of lures, sizes and colours. I usually take three outfits in the boat. Others consider this crazy. To each his own.repeat; what worked yesterday might be useless today. The same applies to locations.
    6. I like to wash my hands in some sand and/or mud from the area. It does two things; smells local and helps remove traces of soap, boat fuel, oil etc.
    All these sound minor but when used in conjunction, they are far from minor and they help put that extra fish in the bag that others don't get.
    This could go on forever. We, like fish, all have our own idiosyncrisies

13. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Wanted to correct a couple of typos in above but it will not let me. I've been locked out for a couple of days.
    N

14. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I have read of people spraying there reels and line after use and spraying CRC on there bait while fishing. Does smell repel fish. My late father was a smoker, when fishing in freshwater he would rub gum leaves etc between his hands.

blair and Rod Bender like this.
  15. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Very comprehensive Noel! When I was sitting down bait fishing the other day I was tapping my feet with boredom! Then realised it was unnecessary movement so I stopped.

How often do you change lures when you are not getting a response? Have you ever swapped out a lure that was working just to see if another one will work anyway? I have and the results were not always good! I wondered if by chance I had found the fish and they would hit anything....wasn't the case all the time!

As for bait fishing, it is my best option at the moment so if you had any tips it would be great!

When I bait fish, I cast to where I want the bait. I see people who cast out and immediately close the bail arm. I leave it open until the bait settles. To me closing the bail arm at the start may bring the rig closer as it will be dropping in an arc being influenced by the tight line.
    I looked at it when he first started using it. Even tho it floats, I would be worried about losing it! Launching it onto the other side of the bank or into a tree!:cool: I would also be concerned about the line sinking slightly and snagging up just below the surface. I do not have the physical ability to get it back.
    Cheers
    Team Bender

16. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I'd rate foot tapping as a criminal act. 'nuff said.
    No rules Jim. I guess sometimes it's 15-20 minutes and I cast continually and believe that long casts are the way to go. The longer a lure's in the water, the better the chances. Doesn't apply to bait fishing. I have at times stayed with one lure all day.
    That one about changing successful lures is a tricky one. I have done it and failed miserably. I have also taken a dozen or more flathead on nine different SPs. I think the change in fishes metabolism with high and low pressure areas can play a big part in that game. Most fishos would probably find and there are exceptions as we all know, that there's less activity when a deep low hits. That's probably questionable in deep offshore waters but don't know.
    Letting a bait sink naturally is to me at least, commonsense. Of course it comes closer as it sinks because the line becomes the radius of a circle.
    Some fishermen have strange ideas. I always remember a guy who said he used 18' beach rods to keep his line above the waves. Try it yourself. Lie a say, 11' rod on the sand (carefully) and walk 40-50m up the beach, taking line and sinker. Put sinker in sand then walk back and move rod until it reaches the equivalent of the hypothetical 18' rod. There's probably less than two degrees difference and the further you cast, the less that becomes. His theory is a misconception.
    Noel

kev209, Rod Bender and blair like this.