1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

The Darling is Dying.

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by diesel, Jan 13, 2019.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Is what we are seeing with the massive fish kill in the Darling a sign that the river is in it's final death throes?

I've always maintained that it would take a disaster of biblical proportions to force the water management decision makers to see the error of their ways in not allowing a good steady flow of environmental water to help maintain a healthy system and maybe this is it. It is an absolute disgrace and the longer they leave before starting the enormous task of cleaning up the dead fish, the closer they will push the river to being a waterway that will not sustain life apart from the oxygen depleting bacteria feeding on rotting carcasses. The dead fish are already starting to sink and will contaminate the river even more.

If the authorities cannot effectively handle a cleanup of a 40 km stretch of water, how the hell did they ever think that they would be able to handle the cleanup resulting from the release of the carp virus that would contaminate thousands of kilometres of rivers?

I'm not a cod fisherman, but I am sickened by the sight of all those dead fish - fish that have lived in the river for decades and endured countless droughts, but now they are gone, due entirely to greedy cotton farmers further up stream taking more water than they were allocated and stupid dumb politicians turning a blind eye to it.

Rant over..... :mad:

Jeff

kev209, Madfisher and Rod Bender like this.
  2. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    It breaks your heart seeing the dead cod in the river, I seen it once before during a drought in the the murrimbidgee river in the A.C.T. not sure if it was low oxygen levels from water heating up and not flowing or a virus or something.
    I believe it is "business" corruption that allows farming that requires lots of water such as rice and cotton farming , this is an arid country.
    A few nice big dams would be good for reducing drought affects and create a some more good fishing spots.:)
    The snowy mountains scheme was for generating electricity, now they say it is for water supply and 2 of the dams are always low now, I presume they sell the water to the farmers, what a joke having to pay for water? whats next paying for air we breath?
    Hopefully the DH,S that caused the damage will be held accountable now.

cheers blair

kev209 and Madfisher like this.