1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

THE END OF AN ERA?

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, May 13, 2020.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    END of an era

Nothing lasts forever.

I have mentioned here before that my boss seems to think my fishing days should be over. My pig headed self does not agree. That self is not always right and the other may be. I have to confess to a couple of stumbles in recent weeks. One could have had serious consequences as my hand was caught in the handle of our sliding glass door. Twice I’ve landed on my knees in the garden and the ground was nice and soft.

Also mentioned was going for a wade around the shore with a rod, which was largely her suggestion, rather than taking the boat out, with or without a friend.

I did that yesterday and caught nothing but am not including it as a zero catch, due to mitigating circumstances. It’s the first time out since a flood further opened the entrance and had no idea what effect that might have on the rise and fall inside the estuary. It was a fairly large effect. When I arrived, expecting to see water at a certain point, due to the out flow increase, the level was way below what was expected. I had worn my neoprene waders in case the water may have been a bit colder than IO can handle. It wasn’t. It was quite warm.

Apparently desperate for a fish, it was decided to give it a whirl anyway. A nor-westerly was pushing 6” waves onto the shore. It wasn’t too long before I was fifty metres from shore and still in water only ¾ of a metre deep. I stood in a couple of stingray holes that tested my balance a little and had no response from the piscatorial department.

After about half an hour I decided it was time to quit. I used to fish this way regularly and usually got half a dozen flathead before breakfast but had not done for years. Until a huge flood about eight years ago, there was a band of weed about 10m wide here and hundreds of meters long. It was a real nursery. It’s totally barren now. There is not a blade of weed (sea grass) to be seen.

Anyway, to make a long story even longer, I stood in either another stingray hole or a patch of soft mud and was immediately sitting on my bum with water around my shoulders. Rod was still in one hand and my spare remained in the holster on its belt. No drama I thought. The water was warm as toast. Then I tried to stand up.

The floatation of neoprene waders, coupled with probably air trapped in the toes of my waders made it impossible to get my feet under water.

I could get either foot down but no way could I get both. Trying too hard meant my head went under. You can’t imagine how difficult it is to stand up in water with only one foot available. Now it was a problem.

Never a panic merchant, the first thing I do when in trouble is stay cool, think logically and rationally and find an answer. I could not turn over in the water either. That’s when I realised that had I fallen forward I could have been in extremely serious trouble. I could scrape the sand with either hand so decided to continue lying on my back and try and work my way to shore.

My face was above water and the wind had died. There were no more waves but I still copped a couple of mouthfuls. Getting one foot down I could give myself a bit of a push, using my fingers on the bottom to remain stable and hopefully to control direction. Trying a few times as the water shallowed, it was still impossible to get both feet to the bottom until I was so close to the shore that I could roll over and get onto my knees and reached a log to sit on. All seemed good.

With suction from water inside and friction, it took at least ¼ of an hour to get my waders off. The sun was shining and it was warm. Cold is my enemy. Poured the water out of my gear bag, still over my shoulder and my waders I headed for the Jeep to discover the keys were still out in the lake somewhere. While travelling we had a spare cut even though Boss always had the original spare in her bag. First thing was to ensure it worked. It opened the door and started the engine. Perfect. It was fixed inside the roof rack with some copper wire. I thought; you clever old bugger, you’re home and hosed (literally as I was coated in sand), then got in Jeep. After starting the old girl the engine died soon after as it did with another couple of attempts. That was a first and a worry.

I realised that the key was there in case we locked ours in at some stage. It was only a normal key and the computer knew there was no matching micro-chip and would shut the Jeep down after five seconds as an anti-theft device.

I doubted my ability to walk all the way home and looked a bit weird being wet and covered in sand so decided to walk to the caravan park about ½ km away in bare feet. A big risk was an oyster shell in the sand, a risk I couldn’t avoid. A couple there tried to ring Boss who was outside. The guy put me on an old towel and drove me home. Boss cannot find the spare she’s always had. A combination of NRMA and a locksmith, who has a job in Tuross today, hope to have Jeep driveable this arvo. If not she’ll go to Batemans Bay on a tilt tray to his workshop. NRMA cover the towing costs as needed and $100 toward the locksmith. New genuine computerised Jeep keys are at least $150 each. Because we have the cutting pattern, the guy says they can play with micro-chips and possibly make a new one.

The moral of all this that I am no longer fit to be out on my own and my fishing days are certainly numbered after 75 years of it. We discussed briefly last week that on my demise, boat would be given to my terrific friend Ray if he wants her. I think it will also be the demise of my time with TBX with this the last post you will have to tolerate.

I can’t apologise for the length of this but it had to be said pretty much as it was but much is still left out including all the stuff in the outside pockets of my gear bag, lost with the keys.

I thank each and every one of you for putting up with me over the years. I have enjoyed it.

Noel

Everyone needs to have a swan song.

Best wishes to you all.

2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi Noel. My bet is you will be back with bells on. Please remember OLD FISHERMEN NEVER DIE, THEY JUST SMELL THAT WAY. Lyall.

Bluefin, diesel, blair and 2 others like this.
  3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Whats this crap about about leaving TBX. When I had a few problems on the forum a while back YOU and other members of the forum supported me without this support I would have chucked it in. I know your an independent old bugger but there is nothing wrong with having a mate fishing along side you. Lyn hasn't let me go fishing by myself for some time. I will rephrase that she will let me go to the lake at the gardens near home on certain days as she knows that there is volunteers working in the area where I fish and they know of my little problems. I must carry my SOS alarm. Many years ago my late Dad and I attended a Coast Guard talk, the first thing the Water Police said was never go fishing alone, that's in a boat, on a pier or river bank never go alone [quote YOUR CRAZY IF YOU DO] I have been told several times when I've been having problems that you don't have to fish to be a member of TBX.

creekboy, Albatross1, diesel and 2 others like this.
  4. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Its only the end if you let it be that way old mate, be careful and take a mate with you when you venture out for a fish.
    My grandfather never fished alone, he always had me or his brothers and my Mum with him whenever we went to the beaches. I remember the day he passed away he was with his brother and had a heart attack on the beach while fishing for some tasty ting and bream for afternoon tea. His brother had to drive his 4WD from the back of the beach to town and call the Ambo's, but it was too late. Very sadly for me that was the end of an era, I never got to say good bye or say thanks for teaching me how to fish and catch bait or take me surfing when Mum was working and he stayed in the 4WD for hours- he never said he didnt like watching or thought it was a waste of time. He just said he watched and I think secretly he was into it, or maybe he was thinking about worming and catching ting and jews from the break I was surfing, I never got to know.

I have to say if I was local to you I would fish with you anytime, just to sit and relax and learn a few things, and maybe have a yarn and a couple of beers. I would be very upset if you just left the site mate, I enjoy your rants and advice is stuff you cannot learn through reading and watching youtube, even though some of the younger generation would think stuff is easy. With age comes both knowledge and wisdom- and when its your time all you learned gets passed along the chain- it doesnt just obliterate into thin air. The treasures we hold most dear are the ones we learned the hard way and through perseverance and trusting ourselves and our friends/family.

Pretty sure you will be back- or at least I hope so. You have plenty of supporters here to help even though many of us are miles away- thats the good thing about Tbx... Advice and quality conversations are free, and often taken for granted with the new internet age, but you can rely on the folk here to give you a good bit of advice, even if we cannot help you directly.

Wishing you the best in this hard time for you mate.

PS- dont forget your fishy friends here

5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    In troubled times you can still adapt Noel. Is there anywhere you can fish locally land based, as in on solid ground? Even bait fishing as opposed to your favorite style of fishing with soft plastics. Surely fishing in some form is better than nothing.

Also, I can't see why you have to stop posting here.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Never gives up so easy! ( a deliberate attempt to fire Noel up to try again) :cool:

creekboy, Albatross1, diesel and 3 others like this.
  6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    That was mainly the waders catching you out I think Noel anyone would have struggled I haven't fallen over in waders in waist deep water...yet. I am sure there will be some good shore based spots around there somewhere where you can wade in shorts if you have to, if the boats getting too heavy to handle yourself. You have the drive to adapt to anything.
    I cant imagine TBX whithout your input and jokes Noel so am looking forward to your future posts.

7. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Sorry to hear this old mate, i would have thought boat fishing(as long as someone else does the heavy work would be safer then wading in waders.
    Anyway mate please reconsider about leaving, as you bind the forum together, and your wit and wisedom would be sorely missed.
    Pete

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Noel everyone has said it all and we don't want to see you leave. I enjoy reading your posts as others do by the response to your posts. Relive your memories this post though being of a serious nature as is with your other post's they are always interesting and entertaining to us all. So keep up the good work Noel.
    Cheers Wally

creekboy, Albatross1, diesel and 3 others like this.
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Noel, when I first read your post and my mind conjured up a replay of what occurred, I had a bit of a chuckle at the funny side of it, but that's the way I am, I have a tendency to see the humour in the mishaps of others.

Taking a serious view of what happened, it was one of those events that sends a message to old blokes like us that maybe it's time to step back a bit and reset the ground rules in relation to what you can do compared to what you think you can do. As frustrating as it is, there comes a time when a man has to recognise his limitations when it involves physical activity, but after what you have been through in recent times, I don't need to tell you that. With 75 years of fishing experience behind you, I'm sure you can adjust to a new way of risk free fishing.

As for your comment about no more posting on TBX, my reaction to that is 'bullsh!t'. You don't walk away that easily just because you went arse up when fishing. You are the most senior member on here and I'm not just referring to age, you have contributed more to this forum than any other current member, you have received more likes than any other member and your knowledge is second to none. I would be extremely disappointed if you threw the towel in.

Jeff

creekboy, kev209, Albatross1 and 3 others like this.
  10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    What a bunch of sweet talking old reprobates. You talk a lot of crap. While tending toward being flattered, you really don't know me at all.
    I'm among the world's most ordinary people. If I happen to like a lot of other people like yourselves, that's not a heavy cross to bear.
    Creekboy, please note; I shower each morning. That surely means I'm not a fisherman by your system of judgement.
    Kev209; yes I am an independent old bugger. That's just another of my many faults. Being born with it means it's difficult to eliminate. The biggest injury I suffer is the loss of independence. I catch my share of fish I guess and apologise if my I's get too close together here. It doesn't affect my sight. I don't need to know answers to a couple of things but they exist. Unlike Jeff, I don't know why I fish. He posts his reason regularly. I fish without rhyme or reason and ignore weather and tides and all that technical stuff. On my own I fish at my level which is 'full on', simply when I want to. It usually means fish even if I don't understand why. I catch more and enjoy it when alone and it's my inbuilt way to fish. I don't play at fishing, I work at it. There's a second, more senior executive officer living very close by. That officer can't stand going fishing and will do all possible to make my life more difficult if/when I do. There's no answer to that one.
    Reelaxation; You've been a round here a while. I have always liked your posts and wish we heard more from you. I feel for you regarding your grandfather but I see it from another point of view. Our father developed gangrene in a toe. They removed two toes. Soon after they took off his foot and two weeks later, his leg below the knee. Unable to stop the problem, six weeks later he was amputated mid thigh. The following year the problem was found in another toe and he was told they have to remove it. He objected, fairly enough, and said if you do that, take the leg off as I can't go through that last lot again. They did. His mates used to call and wheel him down to the pub for a beer, something he's always enjoyed. In spite of all that, the following year he simply died in his sleep. I don't want to offend you but I'm sure 'Pop' would have much preferred the ending your grandfather had.
    Bender, nobody enjoys your sometimes cynical comments, with their inbuilt sly humour than I. You've been a great asset in here when things were much lower than now. There are few options here where the shoreline is accessible. In most places, if you could reach it, the estuary has a mud and mangroves shore. There is only one jetty and that's the tiny one at the ramp, offering little in the way of fishing. There are two points of access to the river a few kms away but with few other options, they are highly pressured and do not support serious or decent fishing.
    Blair; In part you are right, but they became the effect, rather than the cause. The cause was my inability at the time to correct my balance quickly enough. I have been arse up in the 4 degree Tongariro in NZ a couple of times and could stand up after playing in powerful water over algae coated round rocks on the bottom. Typically, that's a stupid thing to say. Rocks are usually on the bottom aren't they? Mayhaps I'm simply not physically strong enough to cope with such things now like I once did. Like the big boat and the 20' caravan, the family pressured their demise as they'd like to do with the current tinny. They cannot understand that there perhaps less to do with bigger rigs as they have more and better equipment. My 'sandfly' boat stays here until I die and to hell with what they think/say. I have power tilt and electric start, a tilt trailer and power winch for retrieve. The only thing involving a little effort is lowering my favourite toy, the Watersnake electric motor which I'd hate to be without now.
    Master Baiter; You're a bit overly kind. I'm positive that I've annoyed a few with my waffling at times. It's an inbuilt problem for people who write as a hobby. They can't stop and this is another example. You have added much pleasure to this site with your commonsense and wisdom. PS. I don't pee in the pockets of others, I just say it as it is.
    Madfisher; we've been talking one way or another for a few years now Pete. We seem to have developed a form of kinship that I don't need to understand. But I like it. There's little doubt about your safety comment. Have seen that proven. The biggest difficulty will be able to go for a fish, only when someone else can also. Back to para one: it's the loss of independence that hurts most.
    Diesel; Like Pete, I don't understand the way in which we seem to communicate but I like it also. I must add that several times already, I have said 'If it wasn't so potentially serious, it would have been hilarious to watch'. I still have a sense of humour. It was eight years ago they diagnosed the muscle failure in my heart and told me there is no cure. The medicos said the best they could aim for was to try to control it, with not many options to play with. I was not expected to live that first night out and died twice in the next couple of days. I was retrieved by CPR and super speedy response by some alert nurses. You can never forget things like that. In December I had the last of five operations, some relatively minor, inside my heart and the last one at six and a half hours was a lulu. Those five were all in a fifteen month period but there's been several others. The defibrillator has been surgically replaced three times. However, with a few blessings on which I count, and some fantastic medical support, in particular the current cardiac guy, 'Rajeev', who rates among the top few in the world, I'm still standing up.
    I cannot mow a lawn, wash a vehicle, vacuum the floor, play in the garden for more than a few minutes at a time, even to go walking for exercise but one of my blessings has been to retain the ability to fish. There are few other good points and I have valued that one. To expand, even continuing to fish as I'd like is impossible, largely because I know I can no longer go alone. The loss of independence is a bitter pill to swallow.

I am somewhat embarrassed by what I read. I truly had no idea that some in here would care too much one way or another. Forgive me for that way of thinking. There was no thought that I contributed anything more than anyone else and I'm sure I've not done so. I could never deny having enjoyed TBX. After reading the news of the day, I automatically go to TBX to learn what's new or current.
    Is this the longest post on TBX ever? Sorry about that. If as the above posts suggest, I have something to offer, I'll try to find something I may be able to contribute in the future, but I'm sure not a lot will be about fishing.
    Thank God they say, for the end.
    Noel
    Humbly yours

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Robert Stone, kev209, blair and 2 others like this.
  11. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Noel. Your post was more of a new chapter for your book. I have always admired your wisdom in posts. I still maintain "you will be back." Cheers. Lyall.

kev209 likes this.
  12. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    You could always get a telescopic spin rod and hide it in a bag then tell the boss you are going walking:D

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  13. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Noel said: While tending toward being flattered, you really don't know me at all.

Hi Noel, I'm like you I check TBX every morning before breakfast. I wouldn't have a clue how long I have been reading your posts, and all other posts. I believe I'm a pretty good judge of character, and I think this little verse sums you up old mate. GOOD BETTER BEST NEVER LET IT REST TILL YOUR GOOD IS BETTER AND YOUR BETTER BEST.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    creekboy and blair like this.
  14. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Thanks for your kind words Noel, maybe with your knowledge and wisdom now is a time to pass it onto the people you pass on the piers estuary banks and beaches etc to Anyone having troubles, lacking techniques and newbies of course. They will love you for it and the Boss will be even prouder of you.
    Wally

creekboy, blair and kev209 like this.
  15. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    It amazes me (easy to do) that something simple like going R over Zed in a lake can turn into a major debacle. We've always been led to believe Jeeps are among the most difficult to steal due to their numerous anti theft systems. The additional standard type key stuck on the roof was there in case we accidentally locked the keys in Jeep during lunch or visitation some where. While on the road, we often had lunch in rough bush, even more often up in sand dunes somewhere. Nobody knew where we were and that often included us. It could be ten years since the key was made and never used. There is little doubt we were told it would 'ONLY' open the door, something I don't recall but am sure it happened. I used it to start Jeep and it died after about 5 seconds. Tried it three times I think. Then the ignition warning light came on and I new the key wouldn't start it after all. What I didn't know was that if that is attempted three times the computer locks down. Funny how that's become a common expression lately. Boss's spare key cannot be found. Jeep had to be tilt trailered to Batemans Bay by NRMA. Tow driver who was great and been towing since 1970, I think accidently engaged the ignition for a spilt second as well as my efforts. The locksmiths have been working on it, been in contact with Jeep in Canberra and got new codes and stuff, without success. They/Lindsay, will try some more stuff during the weekend. If no joy, there's a company in Melbourne who specialises in this problem and the computer may have to be sent there and be away for a week to ten days. Because it was illegally
    tried to start perhaps four times,
    (according to the computer), it's possible the computer is damaged and not repairable. If so, the bill will be more than she's worth at 20 years old. It's the nicest vehicle I ever owned and has spent half its life with 2.5tonnes of caravan behind without a hint of trouble. I knew a few years ago that I'd never own another vehicle and that still applies. If not repairable she'll be sold for scrap and is sad. It doesn't get better. Two days after all that happened I walked out to throw some meat to my butcher bird mate. That prevents boss's magpies from taking it from him. He catches it mid air and is gone like a flash. When throwing it I took a little half step and was arse over head again. My elbow hit her big bird bath dish, knocked it off its stand, twelve litres of cold water went all over me and of course her good dish broke. Unfortunately that's not all. I've had a couple of other stumbles and also landed on my knees in the vegie garden twice, all in a few weeks. I know now it's all serious stuff. Sorry to only have bad news but I guess that's life at 80.
    Noel

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  16. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Noel ,there is only one mob I can ever get my Jeep fixed properly fist time with great service dept. They import everything for Jeeps , that is Poly 4by Four.
    https://poly4x4.com.au
    Wally

creekboy, blair, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  17. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I wont hit the 'like' button on that, Noel, you're having a bad trot.

As for the computer shutdown in your Jeep after a few attempts to start it without a transponder key, it is common on practically all vehicles these days, part of the immobilizer function. I wouldn't write it off yet as there will be someone out there on the internet who will have the answer. If you can provide me with the vehicle model details I will dig around to see what I can find.

Jeff

18. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks Wally. The last thing I want to do is scrap the old girl.

19. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Yes I realise it's all pretty normal now Jeff but I didn't know enough about it all I guess and maybe in part, didn't think rationally.
    It's a Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2002, 4.7lt V8. Rego papers are in the glove box so don't have VIN available right now if you need that.

20. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I've had a few falls as well Noel, and it takes time to get over them. I was using a small set of steps to change a light globe, I looked down next thing I was lying on top of a smashed set of shelves. The medication I take plays around with my blood pressure, I have to take it easy when getting up to quick or bending over. The Cardiologist said that's part of the side effects of the medication, no medication no Kev. I now use a walking stick for balance, I haven't been A over T while using it. I have gone over a couple of times being a D/H and not using it.

creekboy and Madfisher like this.