1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

THE FIRES

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Old fisho, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    We know some of our guys have been helping out with the fire issue and many more are needed. I regret being unable to say I've done my share in later years but have been in the thick of it a couple of times. It's no fun when it gets serious. I certainly know that.
    We were told things here were pretty good and safer than most places. Those on the coastal north side of Batemans Bay are still in big strife.
    Our sources said that we'd have no problems unless two fires joined and came south.
    That was theoretical. Another new fire is burning in the Deua River valley in the Great Divide. The Deua changes its name and becomes the Moruya River.
    The fire is in steep country inaccessible by vehicles and is being water bombed. It remains out of control and is now less than 10km from Moruya township.
    We are not in panic mode yet but have to monitor the fire's progress.
    Noel.

Madfisher, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Noel. Better to be safe than sorry. Hope your situation remains as is. Cheers, Lyall.

Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  3. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I just seen on tv they are considering evacuating lakes entrance .......

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    That's another fire in problematical country Tack. Our Deua River one seems to be being held now.

creekboy, Tackleberry and kev209 like this.
  5. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Tomorrow is going to be one very big problem 40 plus degrees hot northerly a fire can move 50 60 k's an hour and a half in those conditions and the fires are only 30/40 north of Swan Reach lakes entrance area so things are going to be very difficult tomorrow ......
    And now there is another fire north of Mount Taylor and if it all goes South tomorrow my friend a very good friend of more than 30 years will get burnt out and he's been karting water for six months poor bugger ......

creekboy, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  6. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    I sincerely hope State Governments will look after Fire fighters next of kin and with the Funeral costs of Fire fighters killed helping others. I have not heard a mention of the next of kin.
    Wally

7. Dickson

Dickson Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Further to this Wally I personally think that a state funeral should be offered as they gave their life to save others. These ordinary blokes are true heroes and it is so sad that they have lost their lives:(

creekboy, blair, Old fisho and 4 others like this.
  8. Robert Stone

Robert Stone Active Member

Jan 2, 2017
    We copped it last night at Blue Haven, Central Coast. The fire got close. Spent most of the night with a hose in my hand. Scary. Thanks to the RFS we are ok. Where we are there is only one major road out. The amount of site see's was unbelievable.

creekboy, Madfisher, diesel and 2 others like this.
  9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Our part of the world is pretty much devastated. Lots of homes and businesses gone. Two towns, Mogo and Cobargo suffered lots of damage with a guy and his son dying in Cobargo. Posted a couple of pics from home in another post. Without power, radio, TV, fuel and had roads closed so we haven't gone anywhere. But we are all OK in Tuross as I hoped we would be.
    Noel

creekboy, diesel, Madfisher and 2 others like this.
  10. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Good to hear from u Noel, I was wondering if u evacuated keep safe mate. Fires no prob near my place at present sliding the boat in this arvo for jewie mission.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  11. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Good to see you are safe and sound Noel. Terrible things seem to happen around traditional times such as Xmas and will not be for gotten. Creekboys, who’s Brother in law passed away on Xmas night Will always be a dampener for ever. Life will be so sad for a lot of people.
    As bluefin said we can only pray.
    Wally

creekboy, diesel, Madfisher and 2 others like this.
  12. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Glad you are safe Noel
    Cheers Pete

13. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks guys and our sentiments go out to Lyall and Elaine. sad news.
    Full report has been posted. What a day--