1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

The Fluorocarbon Myth

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by diesel, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I have no issues with its knot strength blair. I fish 6lb Berkley Vanish all the time, tied to 4lb Berkley Fire Line in the dark grey colour. It's landed flathead to (estimated) 15-16lb as they were released, as well as a 22lb jewie back around Christmas this year. Occasionally we hit salmon in the estuary and it's coped with them to 8lb. That's fully loading 1-3kg sticks.
    Almost exclusively use 3lb tippets when fishing Eucumbene.
    ( I note it's still going down rapidly) Sometimes I wonder if we lose ourselves in some of the tech stuff which is something that does nothing for me. What do you think?

creekboy, diesel, blair and 1 other person like this.
  2. strikem

strikem Active Member

May 5, 2008
    The three most important parts when connected to a fish is line,hook and knot.Rod and reel are secondary so if we can find a good line and hook it improves our chances bringing in the fish.The more obvious results should be considered.

3. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Agreed in most parts. The bait or lure, and the methodology of use, is first priority. That's what puts a fish on a line. After that your points certainly control the ball game. The rod is mainly a casting tool, following as a shock absorber for the line and helps steer a fish away from danger. The reel can help keep line out of sticks, tussocks and the like.
    Knots and lines have to hold too, but never forget; when the going gets rough with a big fish; the 'jerk on the end of the line' has to be able to do their bit properly too. They can control whether or not other parts of the gear will fail

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    yep the braid to mono knot where u form a loop then wrap around both lines whith the tag must be 100% knot strength, I feel on blood knots its weaker maybe I will do a test one day.
    I still think its worth using though I am sure its improved my catch rates on trout heard same off other trout fishos.
    I think the tech stuff is worth it, u know the smallest changes can result in hook-ups although it can annoy other fishos doing almost exactly the same thing nearby!
    Tech stuff keeps things interesting as well.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I subscribe to that philosophy also, Blair, but at times I wonder if the technological advances are being too much market driven to capture our hard earned cash rather than for the good of the noble art of recreational fishing.

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  6. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    X2

creekboy and diesel like this.
  7. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    yep for sure, like the "amazing new battery powered lures that swim around where the fish are and they instantly leap onto the lure!" "you will never need bait again or that cumbersome fishing tackle"
    cheers

kev209, creekboy and diesel like this.