1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

The great 'monster' trout debate!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Rod Bender, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi peoples
    As most of you would be aware, Victorian fisheries released some very large Rainbow trout to coincide with the opening of trout season. This created some debate on social media in regards to whether the release would affect the existing population of trout. To be honest, I am not that well versed with the entire river ecosystem balancing act but I do believe it may be possible that this release may effect the existing trout populations in isolated areas. I would guess that many of these captured fish will be released as they would not be good eating and therefore the reality is they may be around for a while to do damage...if that is possible.

On the other hand, the interest this stocking generated was intense! Many people have tried their luck and to see pics on social media of young children who have been good enough to land one of these fish is very pleasing. I would hazard a guess that this type of stocking will be done again. I myself would not bother chasing them, even if I physically could but I wouldn't want to deny people who are interested in pursuing them. Did anyone go out after them or deliberately try to avoid the areas in question?
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Trophy hunter!

creekboy, AJ Fishman, diesel and 3 others like this.