1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

THE MOUSE DOES PLAY

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    You have to wait until tomorrow. I'm stuffed and going to sleep.
    What a day.
    Noel

creekboy, diesel, Chili and 2 others like this.
  2. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Sorry about that guys. A case of what my medico calls 'stretching the parameters'. What I call hitting the end of the chain.
    I woke yesterday around 6.00 and knew I had to go fishing. Checked the weather expectations and found; sunny, light breeze and the tide running up all morning. Also a higher tide than the last week or so. Up the river, the sand flats would have perhaps an extra 40mm of water. Sounded good.
    Rang mate Bill at 7.00. No answer and tried again at 8.00. Not many check their phone early Sunday morning. Put the gear in boat and Jeep, deciding to go past Bill's. No sign of life so I went alone. Half a dozen trailers were at the ramp by the highway bridge but no boats in sight. Reached the sand islands and pumped some blood worms. This is not on the medico's list of preferred activities but what the hell. Leaving a container on the sand doesn't guarantee any will get themselves into it.
    I will make an observation if I may and would like to know what you think before I talk fishing. The other guys usually do this part of the work. My Boss helps out on the rare occasions she goes with me. She pumps better worm than the guys. May have had a better teacher perhaps. Bill and Ray only pump once at a specific hole and expend as much of their energy pushing the pump down as they do for the suction bit. They get worms but they also get lots of pieces. I usually pump three times, one after the other and the effort is 100% on the suction side of it. I do not push the pump. After the first pump, the water runs in and collapses the sides of the hole. This means worms from nearby are washed into the hole also. They use a bait sieve. I don't. My belief is that every worm they pick up in their fingers will be in pieces shortly after. Their structure is so soft and weak that they cannot support their own weight when out in the air. This is I believe, proven by the blood colour in the water soon after. I pump the sand slurry into the water and lift the worm in my hand, finishing with few pieces, even after they've been in the bucket most of the day. While pieces used sensibly still work, whole worms are better.
    If we have some who use these blood worms, I'd like to know their thoughts.
    Noel
    Made it through the night with a little help from 'red'.

3. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    After the bait pumping session I hit the water with a line around 11.00 and the first whiting was bending the little stick soon after. A visual search failed to see the landing net. It was still hanging in the garage. Lifting fish into the boat on 3lb leaders is not recommended but it coped most times. A few minutes later there was obviously a better fish trying to escape. Got it beside the boat; a 40+ whiting and had to try and lift it in. These are excellent fish. I lifted, the hook pulled out and away it went. I stopped swearing after a while and had a bit of a think session. I guess a fish hit about every 15mins and I was having a great time. Then another big whiting was on. Plan B was the Jim Allen lift.
    If you don't know, Jim Allen was a highly skilled fisher and started the chain of Compleat Angler shops in Melbourne years ago. He came up with this clever idea and I used it yesterday. Had done it quite a few times before at Eucumbene while fly fishing and also used it on big NZ trout. We have used it on bream and other fish as well. This whiting at almost 44cm and the best for the day, now swam beside the boat, I reached over, slid my hand under it and while it lay there without moving, lifted it aboard. I don't understand the scientific side of this but it certainly works. Perhaps it's because the fish has nothing at either end to apply pressure to and is sort of immobilised. But that's only guessing. Nor do I know how long a fish will lie there. I used the method several times during the day and never lost another fish. The most important, and difficult thing, is resisting the temptation to close your hand. It must simply stay straight with no attempt to hold the fish.
    It was a fantastic day, with tides both coming in and going out and produced steady fishing until 3.00 o'clock when the bait supply was low. I was still using whole worms. I put seven back in the shallows on leaving and they I guess, happily swam to the bottom.
    Day's score: three luderick ( 1cm undersize), four or five mullet and I think five whiting that were only just keepers. All these were returned. I took home nine whiting including four over 40, with the rest above 32. I have always believed I fish best while alone and it's a sad bloke who can't enjoy his own company at times.
    Over twenty fish in four hours is OK by me any day.
    A ripper day and well worth the effort. Might even do it again tomorrow, depending on medico visit today.
    Noel
    Cat's away until Thursday so mouse might play again

4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Top report, Noel.

I subscribe to the same philosophy.

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  5. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Good one mate, what a great session. Seen blokes do that open hand lift thing. But like fish tickling. My Dad could do that with freshwater blackfish. I do the majority of my fishing alone, have since I was young. Im the best conversationist I've ever spoken to!

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks Chilli.
    My guess is that Jim Allen was simply observant as most good fly fishers are. You're probably right that it's not unlike what trout and other fish-ticklers do though I think they tend to throw the fish out. Only guessing. Never tried it or seen it done. Waste of time to me because you'd never have to buy fishing gear. No fun in that....
    I haven't seen a freshwater blackfish for many years now. Lovely fish. Used to chase them in the evenings, usually with small yabbies. My brother caught one over 60cm long, weighing 2 1/4lbs; the biggest I've heard of. Do they perhaps have another common name now? They must still be in some of the Vic rivers but have never heard of them in NSW. Do you know if they are only found in rivers flowing to the south and never in the Murray system?
    I enjoy it because I'm such a good listener and I never interupt the speaker.

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  7. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    My Dad used to tickle to the gills then grab them there. But yes there is the lift fling method. I could get to the final stage but it went south after that. Yeah they say only streams running sth of the divide but I do know of the odd one yrs ago from North. At an old gold town called Tarnagulla, in the old gold days their town res was full of them. They had blackfish catching comps there, but that was early 1900's. Tarnagulla is north of the divide. Though where they got them from to stock it back then I have no idea. A 2+ lb blacky is a ripper size. I only saw them up to 1 to 1 1/2 lb.

Old fisho, diesel and kev209 like this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Tarnagulla, I know that place. I swung a gold detector for a month in the Dunolly, Moliagul, Tarnagulla area 10 years ago hoping to find a nugget to rival the Welcome Stranger, but alas, nothing but bullets & boot-tacks.

Should have gone fishing instead.

Jeff

Old fisho, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  9. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    10 yrs ago there were still fish in it, thats where I got the big carp and was gonna fillet it but gave up. Got a redfin there too. No blackfish, theyre long gone. I'm not sure anything is in it now. Think the drought several years ago finished the fish there. Tried 2 yrs ago but saw nothing and caught nothing.
    I detect now and then, waiting for my Welcome stranger too better luck fishing though.

Old fisho, diesel and kev209 like this.
  10. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Might not rush into buying a gold detector if u guys cant get a 20 kg nugget what chance do I have? on my 2nd glass of pinot noir , daughter got me a bottle for fathers day now will see if it gets rid of gout seems to work for Noel feels like it is working cant feel any gout pain!:)
    Glad u had a blinder or "testiiday" " day on the whiting Noel, I think your pumpimg technique works better cause it draws the worms out of their holes rather than sucking up a lump of sandy mud that breaks apart and breaks worm, I have rarely pumped a bloodworm around here , used to pump squirt worms and nippers. Bloody annoying forgetting landing net but guaranteed u hook more fish when it or something else is forgotten good thing u used the jim allen lift I have sort of used it before but will remember it now. Glad I didn't hear the swearing u might have corrupted my use of words:rolleyes: as i never f-----n swear!:eek:

diesel and kev209 like this.
  11. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Blair,
    While not scientifically proven (yet) I believe the pain killing element of wine is found only in the last half inch in the bottle. You suffer up to that point; drink it; then wham, no more pain.
    I seriously believe the pump theory is better for the reasons you state. Blood worms are very soft.
    I think the net comments are close too. You need a tool most when it's one you don't have.
    Question: Is it done by you or does your computer have a built in censoring app?
    Noel
    Bundle of early morning knowledge, read as waffle

Chili and kev209 like this.
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    That's exactly right Chilli. I had forgotten the bit about fingers in gills.
    Noel

Chili and kev209 like this.
  13. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    For some reason as I grew up I never tried it again, only as a kid with my Dad. The blackfish would be under rock overhangs or under the bank hollows. You would reach down then as slow as possible feel along till a finger felt something fishy. Then you would just kind of rythmically stroke the belly very lightly slowly moving towards the front. My failure I reckon was going from the gentle stroking to try to grab the gills too awkwardly. Wasnt patient enough if you get me. It is amazing how they will let you do it. I remember I used to freak out a big eel was going to bite my finger. My Dad would just laugh when id say what if one bites me.

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  14. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    built in fr---n censoring b----y app. hey you are correct defininatly feel no pain nothing but good when u hit last
    .5 inch of bottle.

15. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    tut tut blair. You mustn't mix decimals and imperials in .5 of an inch. You might get a ruler across the knuckles.
    Noel
    Owner of numerous bruises

kev209 likes this.
  16. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    It is the technical background coming out me using decimals I think, been working to 100th or less (should say 0.01) of a millimeter on my mx bike, or I could go metric and decimal " last 12.70 millimeter of bottle" then I would definatly have been too much in technical world:) I need to get back to reality so I am going down to my man cave and getting 2 375ml (.375 liter:)) lemon ruskies and draining them to required level;)
    My eardrums are a bruised at present my homeboss has been in a bad mood and my daughter has been trying boss me around as well, I need to go fishing soon.

Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  17. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    You poor bugger you
    Noel
    Living the life of a happy bachelor, great self made meals, lots of red, what more is needed?

kev209 likes this.
  18. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    A P.B whiting, P.B jewfish etc

Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  19. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Well done on a great day Noel. I enjoy also fishing alone and seem to do better. ON the Blackfish subject i have caught one over 40 years ago in he Murrumbidgee around Gundagai and also about 30 years in the top of the Abercrombie river, They where also present in Dunns Swamp the top dam on the Cudgegong river, sadly Murray Cod stockings in the small lake did not help there cause.
    cheers Pete

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  20. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I go fishing when I feel like it and have the time if no one I know who likes fishing can come I go for fish, if I wait around for others I will not get to go fishing, good to fish whith other fishermen though. Never caught or seen a freshwater blackfish.

Madfisher, kev209 and Old fisho like this.