1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

The new Shimano Stradic...

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    On face value, there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference to the FK, same gear ratio and same drag limits.

They look pretty much the same. Shimano have been revamping the Stradic every couple of years and always herald the new model as being the best, but I think their best was the FJ.

FK.JPG
    FK ^
    FL.jpg
    FL^

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  3. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I think the best stradic was the FI between my son and I we have 6 of these and they have had a flogging on the bream and flathead and never given us any trouble and never been serviced .
    They even came with a spare spool it realy pissed me off when I bought my 1st FK and there was no spool in the box I even rang the shop and was told they don't do it any more ...... mongrels .

4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I wasn't happy about that either, Tac. Try buying a spare spool for an older model Shimano reel - more chance of winning lotto.

The last reel I bought that came with a spare spool was an el-cheapo Abu Garcia and I paid less than $50 for it, so you would expect to get a better deal with a $300 reel. All part of their marketing strategy, if you want a spare spool, no problems, just buy the rest of the reel that goes with it. GRRRR!!! :mad:

Jeff

5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I had my first serious look at the FL yesterday and I have to say they are nice looking reels, but do I really need one? Bender would say yes, in fact he would suggest that I need more than one. The bride said why, how many reels do you need? A silly question that I treated with contempt and refused to answer and also because I couldn't come up with anything that sounded remotely feasible.

So, back to the reel. To complete my arsenal of spin reels, I need to add a 3000 size and I went close to ordering a Stradic FL, but just to satisfy myself that I'm buying the right reel, I decided to do a bit more research and I'm glad that I did. The following is lifted from the marketing dribble on the Shimano website:

'X-Protect has also been added to the Stradic FL giving the reel a superior level of waterproofing performance without impeding the rotation or lightness of the reel.'

It sounds good, but it aint necessarily so. After watching the following youtube vid, they will take on water and as we know, the ingress of water into the gizzards of any reel usually means constant maintenance or disaster.

As much as I like Stradics, I'm going to leave this one alone.

Jeff

6. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    After watching the vid I have come up with some obvious solutions based on what I have seen. First of all, it may be pointless upgrading to the FL if you already have a decent reel. So now we need to look at alternatives! Jeff, this is not easy to say but we both need to buy a Van Staal....for each rod we have! The Van Staal name gets a favourable mention in the vid!

Failing that option, I can't remember if you have a Stradic FK but as their price will drop, they sound like a good choice. Another option would have to be the Daiwa BG. I am not sure how the Daiwa sizes compare to Shimano....as you said you wanted a 3000 size.

On another note, I have a $700 + 'Edge' rod inbound and yesterday I witnessed an 'unboxing' of Megabass Vatalion lures at the local tackle store. This prompted me to ask the staff to put 3 of them away for me. I will now admit it...I am out of control!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Suffers from UTPS (Unnecessary Tackle Purchasing Syndrome)...of which there is only one cure...marriage!

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    The FJ was their flagship mid level reel for a long time and still one of my all time favourite reels. I cannot justify spending that much $$$ on a reel that will probably die after a couple of seasons use on the beaches with no service- at least I know the FJ is still going strong after 5years and my baitrunners are all between 8 and 15years no service with no issues with drag or roller bearings.

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Jim, if I had the cash to throw at a Van Staal, I would sooner go for a Stella.

I've got a 4000FK, a 4000Ci4 and a 2500FJ, all good reels and I briefly considered a Daiwa, but dismissed the idea. I've been a Shimano man since way back in the 80's and occasionally I've gone with a Penn or Abu Garcia, but I couldn't bring myself to owning a Daiwa - it's like the Toyota/Nissan rivalry or Holden/Ford thing.

It doesn't work, Jim, marriage just makes you more sneaky.

A brilliant reel Anthony, but let down by the reverse switch that will let water in. I use my 2500FJ only in fresh water and it often cops a dunking when fishing from the kayak, but they are easy to strip down and blow out every drop. A mate bought his 5000FJ over to me for a long overdue service, he had dropped it in salt water that many times without ever cleaning it out, that corrosion had set in big time and it had reached it's use by date. A shame really, because cosmetically it looked perfect - it was the innards that had suffered from salt water and sand.

Jeff

9. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
  10. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Forgot a Van Staal remind's me of Gruyere cheese. I noticed a few fishing stores on line have Stradics between 150 -200 dollars off now I know why a new model is out
    Wally

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019 at 6:14 AM
    Rod Bender and diesel like this.
  11. mangajack

mangajack New Member

Feb 2, 2008
    The FL1000 has a slower ratio than the previous version....based on that I saved myself 165 bux buying a FK last week.

diesel and Rod Bender like this.
  12. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The only good thing about Shimano releasing new models so often is that you can pick up a decent reel at a fair dinkum price when it happens. I like the FK, a solid reel.

Welcome to the forum Mangajack, or I should say welcome back as I see you joined 11 years ago. I'm surprised that you could even remember your password from so far back. Tell us a bit about yourself..... home turf, type of fishing etc.

Jeff