1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

To all you young fellows.

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Master Baiter, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    I read a post the other day and I am blowed if I can find it it was only a couple of days ago. Now someone said they tie their Braid straight on to the hook or lure, to me that makes sense I cannot see any advantage in using a leader so fish cant see the line. So why isnt it tied to all colours of mono.Using green maxima or green braid why not leaders on both? I bought a new reel Yesterday and shall put mono backing on and 50mts or so of braid enough for Trout and Redfin . I have decided to have a last fling at braid and lures if it dosent work I wil stick with my bait. So what are your thoughts please.
    Wally

2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I generally use low vis braid but I still use a leader. On saying that, I don't have any problems tying joiner knots. If you are trying to remove the need for a joiner knot then by all means don't bother and just do as you propose...tie the braid straight to the hook/lure. Many anglers use hi-vis braid so they can detect bites. Then it helps to have a leader as fish will no doubt see the braid.

A couple things to keep in mind, a leader adds a bit of shock absorption and also gives some protection if rubbed up against rocks. Braid vs rocks normally does not end well.
    Cheers
    Jim

3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I have never used braid probably never will. A while back I asked one of the blokes at BCF about using coloured mono he said you will have to use fluorocarbon leader because the yellow line would spook the fish. I asked about people using nickle plated hooks, new sinkers are bright compared to older ones and new swivels the same. He said a good question. His was answer was, where do you fish? I told him inland mostly family fishing lakes due to health issues. He said in discoloured water like that you probably wouldn't need a leeder, it would be different if you were fishing clear water. One of his friends uses braid no leader ties it straight to the hook and catches fish, but what works for one may not work for another.

Old fisho, creekboy, diesel and 2 others like this.
  4. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    A couple things to keep in mind, a leader adds a bit of shock absorption and also gives some protection if rubbed up against rocks. Braid vs rocks normally does not end well.

Jim I can see the logic in that dut not cols Power Pro the Braid I bought is the same col as Maxima which I find cathes fish. OK do I put a maxima Leader on the Braid? I dont know why I bought the bloomin Braid the rod I thought was most suitable in my collection wont take a Braid to Fluro knot the smart salesman didnt mention about that. Lol

5. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Try it as is then Wally...braid straight to hook. I know Murph does with success with bait fishing. As Kev mentioned, unless the water is pristine clean, I don't think it matters. I still use mono a lot to avoid using a leader and know where you mean in regards to rods that don't like joining knots (small guides).
    Cheers
    Jim

Old fisho, creekboy, diesel and 2 others like this.
  6. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Wow, Does Murph use lures and plastics as well? You know I only bought Braid as I met this young bloke about twenty or so and watched him catch three good keepers in about an hour. So I went and had yarn to him and checked is set up out. Rod 1- 3 kg reel 1000 and line 6lb braiid. He was from Wangarata. his favorite spot is Lake Hovell I laughed and said no one likes hovell very hit and miss.
    He told me to follow the road until it hit the fourheel drive track, then walk to the lake through a bit of rough but dont wade it is where they made a quarry taking rock out for the wall. He said massive deep hole and sheer drop off full of fish and trout up to 10lbs.
    That is why I was going ro get a lox rod.

7. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Murph uses bait the most. He has some lures and plastics but they don't get used often.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    It's something I've often pondered too Wally.

I've read a fair bit of info (on the internet, so it must be true :rolleyes:) about the way fish view things, especially various colours and different objects, including line. One of the criticisms I have about the research is that those who carry it out seem to be applying human traits to fish, a critter that is not all that smart.

In my opinion, a fish does not recognise fishing line connected to a bait as something that has the potential to pull it out of the water. It only sees it as something that wasn't there the last time it looked and some fish get spooked by it and some don't. An old aboriginal mate of mine who I fished with for many years up Cape York only ever used a hand-line loaded with 200 lb breaking strain mono that resembled whipper snipper line and he caught more barra than I ever did with my rod/reel outfit. The fish weren't spooked by the line.

If you look back to the days before the introduction of the hi-tech gel spun braided lines and fluorocarbon leaders when practically every fisho used nothing but mono line, we did catch fish and lots of them. To me, the only advantage of braided line is the fact that you can load more of it on a reel than mono on a pound for pound breaking strain and it is more sensitive for some lure fishing. Is it worth the high price that it sells for? IMO, no.

Jeff

Old fisho, creekboy, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  9. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Won’t be going up there anyway now as Pat said she had no intentions of going. I said great fishing, go by yourself. What if I fall in? What do you want me to do I am 80 this year, if your that keen get a life jacket.
    So much for Valentine’s Day
    Wally

10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Sounds a bit like my bride Wally.

A few days back I suggested we hook the caravan on and head out to one of the western Qld rivers that have copped a fair bit of water - the yellow-belly would be on the chew. She said "go on your own, I'm not going, but don't bring your stinkin', muddy clothes back for me to wash, wash them yourself or burn them."

Nice, so much for caring & sharing and marital bliss. :(

Jeff

11. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    I think your spot on Jeff. I bought some suffix advance mono the other day. I can’t stop looking at it I want to try it badly. So if I get in the mess I did last time with braid after one session it will go in the same rubbish bin as the last lot of Finns
    Wally

12. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Pat should have more respect fishing came first by a long shot. Our marriage is only in its 48th year.
    Wally

13. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I reckon I might give that a go myself. I had a look in bcf to see if they stocked it, but no go, so I'll get it from the same place you did - Anglers Warehouse. I think they are a good mob to deal with, prices are reasonable and postage is fast, especially up here in Qld.

Jeff

14. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Braid + Flouro Leader is the go for me, but off the beaches I tend to use braid + mono leader because it a bit more abrasive if a big jew or noah takes me to the adjoining reef - havent had any issues with either but right now I am back to flouro for all my light work (8-14lb) and mono for 20lb+
    Admittedly if a big noah takes the bait its going to ping me regardless unless I got wire which I dont believe in using so most of my shark catches are the 1-1.6m bulls/gummy/whalers... have had some cracking big taylor shear through 60lb mono before but I guess they werent meant to be caught in the first place LOL

For closer to home stuff like the creeks and falts I just use braid up to 14lb and flouro leader up to the same, but was using mono leader 8 and 12lb for ages till I recently picked up some cheapish Berkley flouro in 250yd spools so it will last me a while.

15. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    I ordered a Daiwa bg reel 2500 on Wednesday3.30pm. Notification from PO parcel from Anglers Warehouse ready for pick up this morning. Always great service and will match any other price. I use them because if Mansfield Vic doesn’t have what I want, it takes anytime up to 3 weeks before I can go to a major town. This way I can get it in a couple of days.

16. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The only tackle shop close to me is bcf and that is 55 kms away, the next closest is 350 kms. I'm not so sure about shopping with bcf too much more now that their parent company (Super Retail Group) have been ordered to pay their management staff all the money they were under paid. Apparently it occurred in bcf, Supercheap and Rebel Sport, totalling 32 million plus a further 11 million for payroll tax to the ATO. They will try to recover that at the cash register by jacking up prices.

Jeff

Old fisho, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  17. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Sounds like they had already jacked the prices up and filled their pockets at the expense of the workers.
    wally

Old fisho, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  18. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Give it a fair go Wally. I think a mistake people make when spooling braid on a spin reel is over filling the spool. Have a bit of a search on Google to see how full the spool should be. I fill the spool to a mm or 2 with mono and maybe 2 - 3 mm with braid. Others may be different.
    Cheers
    Jim

19. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Im with Jim as long as you lay the braid on correctly you shouldnt have any issues- I would steer clear of Fireline/Fins/Spiderwire as I have had some nasty experiences with all these- but my first braid experience with with Fireline and it lasted me a couple of seasons before it went bad and the coating was coming off more often and eventually the braid started breaking on cast- I continued to use it in different breaking strains as I didnt want to spend $$$ on high end braid only to have a similar experience. The last braid I bought was Rovex and I have been using it in 6/8/10/14/20 and 30lb on ALL my reels except my Big baitrunner which runs 40lb PowerPro. All of the braid I buy I try to get in bulk spools like 2500yd or 1500yd but anything lower 15lb and lower I have to buy 300yd spools which is okay. I dont regret going from mono to braid for any of my fishing and the only issues I get are kelp wrapping around the line in a big southerly or the odd wind knot, but I reckon its great. Yes I have tried flouro straight through but I had issues with the elasticity and it kept uncoiling in big bunches on each cast so I threw that in the bin and went back to Braid. I would find it very hard to go back to mono on any outfit these days, the only reels which have mono on them are my Alvey surf reels which I dont use these days.
    FYI- I find the putting the braid in a bucket of cold water and loading it up under some pressure should eliminate any line twist which is what causes most wind knots- and try not to fill it up too much otherwise you will get loops which will turn into wind knots very quickly. I normally fill to a mm or 2 just below the lip, but I do find a 300yd spool with say 2-3m of backing will fill most reels in the sub 4000 size so you should be okay there. If you can get someone to help you load it on even better- some people just dont understand laying line flat and straight and it just is easier for me to do the bucket trick at time and Ive never had a problem with it- all about how much pressure you give the line as you load it up on the reel... If its flat and straight you shouldnt have too many problems
    Good luck mate hope the info helps

Old fisho, blair, creekboy and 4 others like this.
  20. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    A few years ago, a German company released line called Gliss onto the world market, supposed to be the next revolutionary superline to replace other gel spun lines - it didn't happen. A couple of blokes I know who used it went back to mono or braid after a short time and said that they would not use it again - poor abrasion resistance was the problem.

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.