1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

To Leader or Not to Leader?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Ditch, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    I stopped using a leader when trolling or casting lures many years ago. Braid straight to the lure, usually use 14 lb Fireline on my Golden Perch/Bass trolling gear, 8 lb on my casting rod & 25 lb on the Cod setup. I like the feel you get with no stretch in the line when you get a hit or a hookup. Also having less knots to fail seemed like a good idea.

On a recent trip chasing Golden Perch at Lake Keepit I failed to hook a fish apart from a few small Cod. The water was quite clear at the time & I got to thinking that maybe the braid was visible (smoke colour) & was spooking the fish, but then again, if Cod & Carp are still hitting a lure them maybe that`s not the problem.

In two minds at the moment as to what to do - go back to using a leader or persevere with the setup I am using. The only time I use a leader at the moment is when fishing off the bank when a running sinker is used.

Just wondering about your thoughts on leaders, do you use them or not?

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I would be using a leader unless baitfishing in filthy water. Some will say they still catch fish with no leader...and some guys I know do well with no leader. As far as I'm concerned, yes, you will catch fish with no leader when in reality, you may have got more fish...and bigger smarter fish, if you had a leader.
    cheers
    Jim

Wally, diesel, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I never have used a leader, only use mono line direct to hook or lure. Mind you, I don't get many fish either. Cheers, creekboy.

Wally, Ditch, diesel and 2 others like this.
  4. Wunderlust

Wunderlust Active Member Admin

Jul 9, 2007
    I always use a leader when using braid. Many reasons but importantly it offers much better abrasion resistance to snags, teeth, gill strakes and rich ground. Tying strong knots with braid is also pretty difficult to achieve. When tying braid mainline to the leader I find the Alberto knot is pretty easy to master and hasn’t failed me yet..

AWL, Ditch, diesel and 1 other person like this.