1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Trout opening 2018!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Rod Bender, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Well peoples, it is not that far away! On Saturday the 1st of September, all hell will break loose on the Victorian trout streams. As usual, fisheries are running their trout season opening festivals at Eildon and Ballarat. The event at Eildon includes the release of some rather large trout.
    https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational...vals/goulburn-fishing-festival-event-schedule
    I am likely to attend the event at Eildon however, I will not likely fish the area as there will be too many people around for my liking. But...I will likely have a go at Strathbogie on the way home. I have only caught one trout there but I will be happy if the local redfin are active. I may also finish off the 'species' comp we have running here by getting a ...........................
    wait.....for.....it.....!!!!!!!!!......blackfish! That is my guess as to what it may be. Does the NSW season for trout open on the same day?
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Likes putting people on hold!

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  2. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    No mate it use to 50 years ago now its the long week end in Oct by which our streams are starting to dry up. I might hit up a stream with carp and trout, so if i get bored with the trout i can chase some carp.

3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Biggest ever trout opening on Goulburn
    Come catch a trophy trout!
    From Saturday 1 September 2018, the Goulburn River and Eildon Pondage will share in 2,000 massive rainbow trout weighing up to 4kgs to be stocked at 11 sites for trout opening.

They'll have a combined weight of 7 tonnes, which is the biggest ever 24-hour stocking event in Fisheries' history.

It’s all part of the free Goulburn Fishing Festival that celebrates the opening of trout rivers and the new season.

diesel and creekboy like this.
  4. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Jim. If you want to get a Blackfish, try the King Parrot Creek around Kerriesdale area. Cheers, Lyall.

diesel, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Ever since I was a kid it was drummed into me that the only good thing about Victoria was the road out of the place, but in recent times it has probably become the most progressive state in the country, especially in relation to fishing.

I have been following the stocking program for a while and it is a credit to all involved - good stuff. Almost makes a bloke want to pack up and move down there (operative word being almost), but there is still one major hurdle - the place is full of bloody Victorians. :D

Jeff

6. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I may get some more info from you one day about this place. However, on the opening weekend I will be better trying at Strathbogie I think. No certainty of getting a blackfish but I can see there being a lot of people around the trout streams.

Fisheries here are great. I will give you an example why. Not so much in regards to what they are doing, more so with who is doing it! There has been some local media attention regarding the possibility of a 'fish farm' being located at my work. However, nobody here knew anything about it. I have met and spoken once briefly with the fisheries CEO and decided to get to the bottom of things and email him. It took a whole 19 minutes before he replied! How many CEO's of other organisations would reply?

Funny thing is, many trout fishos here believe they don't do enough and that NSW does it better! I guess the grass is always greener on the other side!
    cheers
    Team Bender

7. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    At least we " HAVE WATER IN OUR RIVERS". Cheers, Lyall. (Victorian river watcher)

diesel and kev209 like this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Haha, it certainly improves the catch rate, Lyall.

We've just gotta take any opportunity that comes along.

09ad9934bc588490e0a4bc399dc98e9f-1024x768.jpg

Jeff

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  9. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    bloody Victorians have taken our water!!! I agree they are doing a lot of good stuff for the outdoors people.

10. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Best of luck to all members lucky enough to wet a line today. Cheers, creekboy. (Lyall)

Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  11. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    X2

creekboy likes this.