1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

'Trouthammer' and other youtube stuff!

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Rod Bender, May 4, 2020.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi peeples.
    I discovered a youtube channel from the US called Trouthammer. Not too bad and the guy seems to be down to earth. Not like so many other youtubers who offer no advice and it is just 'look at me catching fish' crap!

I have only watched a few of his videos and a couple of his ideas and thoughts made sense. Using small soft plastics, lift and drop the plastic near the surface so it breaks the surface. Therefore looking like a small fish feeding on the surface. As opposed to the majority who work the plastic near the bottom.

Another comment he made on treble hooks made me think about my Decoy trebles I fit to my trout lures. The barbs point inwards, as in the shank bends back in. I have had many cases where I have hooked trout in their cheeks when they have 'slapped' the lure with their head. Trebles with inward pointing barbs may reduce the possibility of these hookups.

Check him out if you are bored sh!tless! I found this one and watched it thinking it was relevant to diesels purchase of 'trout magnet' plastic lures. The title is deceptive!

Cheers
    Team Bender
    Carp magnet!

kev209, blair and diesel like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Haha, I like it. That's a hell of a big magnet he is using. I reckon I could make a rig using an old speaker magnet that would be strong enough - would have to paint it pink of course. ;)

Jeff

kev209, blair and Rod Bender like this.
  3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Earth magnets they can be dangerous you can get them in all sizes up to and over 300kg I have been fascinated looking at different Earth Magnet forums. Incredible finds in the UK they have pulled old bikes out of Rivers super market trolleys prams. Why dangerous well about 10 people were killed last year and three that I have read about already this year. An Earth Magnet weighing about 500 gms size of a 2000 reel can pick up 500kg you can buy rope at 500kg and the average length they use is 30metres. Now people have pulled things up and depending where they are say a bridge go to grab the item and it being slippery it drops the person on the rope gets pulled in and can drown if they cant swim if deep water, and if shallow can be killed or badly injured.In the Thames in London they pull up bombs, grenades, guns,knives, safes and Jewellery just about anything.
    But most importantly they can affect your Brain Vision and Balance I would hate to to think what it would do to a pacemaker. Plus you put it in a special case to stop it dragging everything up.
    Wally

kev209, blair, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've got a small rare earth magnet not much bigger than a 5 cent coin that will lift 10kg. I stick it on the end of my pick when gold detecting to attract any ferrous junk like bits of wire, nails, boot tacks etc and also to check rocks that give a strong signal that may be nothing more than a high iron content, but could possibly contain gold in matrix form. These are known as hot rocks and in some areas, especially a lot of the WA goldfields where there is a high iron content in the ground, hot rocks are a damn nuisance to put it mildly.

Before I started using the small rare earth magnet as an aid to determining the iron content of a rock I generally relied on pure guesswork based on the relative weight of the rock when I picked it up. More often than not I didn't bother picking up what I assumed were hot rocks until one day I picked one up that was high in iron, but it also contained just under half an ounce of the precious yellow metal.

20200505_055921.jpg
    The reddish brown colour in the rock is ironstone, the grey is quartz and no prize for picking what the yellow is.

Jeff

5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Wouldn't mind finding a fair few of those

kev209 and diesel like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Send me $10,000 and I'll draw you a mud map.:D

Jeff

kev209 and blair like this.
  7. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    cheque is in the mail, cant wait until I get the map! will just drive around in my ute and fill it up whith those rocks that will be lying everwhere!

kev209 and diesel like this.
  8. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Margarine????

So what is a rare earth magnet? Are there common everyday boring magnets that are not as good? Apart from online, are there any stores that sell them?
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Watched 'Catalyst' tonight...needs a magnet to find meteorites!

blair, diesel and kev209 like this.
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    A brief science lesson.

In the Earths crust there are 15 metals known as rare earth elements, but to add a bit of confusion, they are not that rare. In fact, every step you take you are probably walking on some of them. They are classified as rare because they are not in deposits large enough to be commercially mined.

One of these rare earth elements named Neodymium has excellent atomic structure to enable magnetization and stay permanently magnetized. It is alloyed with iron and boron and then magnetized by way of electromagnets to produce the most powerful magnets known. Stock standard common garden variety magnets that are mostly made of iron do not permantly retain magnetization and the same goes for ceramic magnets.

Where do you get em?

Most prospecting supplies shops sell the small rare earth magnets and you can buy large ones from online sellers, but not sure how you can get them delivered. I don't think Australia Post would carry them.

Jeff

blair, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  10. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    blair, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  11. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    When one considers that every mobile phone and audio speaker for the past couple of decades has used rare earth magnets, I'm not really convinced that the health warnings are justified Wal.

Safety warnings in relation to the effects of airborne splinters should a magnet shatter are definitely justified, but the resulting injuries would most likely be no worse than being struck by fragments of a broken beer bottle which do not carry warnings.

I know that manufacturers must put health and safety warnings on just about everything these days to cover their arses, but generally people don't read the warnings and if they do, they ignore them.

Jeff

kev209, blair and Rod Bender like this.
  12. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    You are probably right Jeff if it was serious they would have banned them, or at least sold them with restrictions.
    Go ahead Jim get one but don’t walk into your fishing room with it.
    Wally

diesel, kev209, blair and 1 other person like this.
  13. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Don't put a powerfull magnet near your mobile phone it can wipe it. I worked on the installation of a recycling plant once and a few people made the mistake of getting close to the magnetic pick up section whith their phone and wondered what was wrong whith them.

diesel, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  14. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Will get one at some point Wally. Something a bit more powerful than the fridge magnets that I have! Not sure if I will get into magnet fishing tho.

In regards to size and strength, I am not after something that can change the orbit of an asteroid! All I want is something that can rip the door off a fridge!:cool:
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Repels rather than attracts!

diesel, blair and kev209 like this.
  15. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I saw a program on Chanel 2 sometime back, they didn't refer to it as magnet fishing. I just can't remember what they did call it. The day it was filmed they were dropping the magnet into the Thames, they found an old bike and quite a few old square nails among other things. They said some of the things they have found were very old and valuable. I found the program quite interesting.

16. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    One of robbiefishing's latest videos. A review of Wigston's new spinners and spoons. They both caught fish but a downside to the spinner is that paint was coming off in the first session. Robbie is honest!

These lures are a big change too by Wigston who produce Tassie Devils.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Should start doing revues on what I know best...hamburgers!

blair, kev209 and diesel like this.
  17. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I watched that video yesterday and they seem to work okay on redfin from the images he posted. Might have to add a couple to the kit - pink of course. :D

Jeff

Rod Bender, blair and kev209 like this.
  18. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I may have found my problem! I don't swear enough! Don't play this around children!

Cheers
    Team Bender
    Needs to learn some new words!

blair, diesel and kev209 like this.
  19. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Must be my prob too, don't know how the f#*# he didn't loose that fish, I thought it was a nice cod not a scabby carp.

diesel, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  20. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    He did well to hold onto it! A nice cod? Guessing you didn't read the title before you watched it! :cool:

Here is another one from the same guy. Fishing in Wally's territory! No swearing here but he still gets a fish!

Cheers
    Team Bender

blair and kev209 like this.