1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Truly Amazing

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by diesel, Oct 25, 2018.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    During my life I have witnessed and experienced some things that could be categorised as being truly amazing.

A couple of years ago, I watched a green tree frog eat a small snake and I thought that was truly amazing.

Not so long back I knowingly ate tofu and lentils without complaining - again, truly amazing.

Yesterday, I visited my local Transport & Main Roads Office (Vic Roads or RMS to you southerners) to enquire about re-registering my caravan that had expired last year with plate surrendered. I was expecting to have to go through the rigmarole of roadworthy inspection, gas safety inspection, a visit to the weighbridge along with a permit to tow it, plus a mountain of paperwork to complete. But, to my astonishment, I was told to just bring it to the inspection area at the rear of the TMR office where an inspector will check the VIN and also measure the van, then I pay the rego fee, fasten the new plate and away I go - that's it. No paperwork and absolutely no fuss.

I am not just truly amazed, I am rocked to the core. I have spent a large part of my life whinging and moaning about the way I was stuffed around by rego office staff no matter what state of the country I have lived in and they have taken that away from me by becoming efficient and easy to deal with. How dare they. :rolleyes:

Jeff

2. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Some things are worthy of mentioning, and note that we live in an increasingly legislated and restricted society its good to hear some good stories and experiences with the authorities for a change and it was nice and easy to get what you needed sorted out.

I wish stuff was that easy down here, but I cannot complain Ive never had a car fail rego inspection and the only time I had to do a weighbridge ticket was when I tfr my old boat trailer from Tas to NSW rego but was fairly straight forwards.

Some things are meant to be simple and life isnt meant to be complicated, but as humans with technology advancements life is more complicated than ever before- even with these things which are supposed to make life easier.

I like the old skool way of doing stuff sometimes because it makes us feel human and not just another bloody number in their systems.

:D

3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The Qld Govt have been streamlining a lot of the departmental red tape, Anthony. They are systematically bringing in a far more efficient and user friendly interaction with the public. Over the years, I have had a lot of dealings with the Department of Natural Resources, Mines & Energy and up until this year nothing was ever simple with them. Just to remove a tree on my mining lease required a mountain of paperwork to be submitted to 3 different authorities, but now that they are cleaning up their act, a simple phone call to one department gets the action I need.

Jeff

creekboy, AJ Fishman and kev209 like this.
  4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    round here on the central coast nsw a tree seems to be more valuable than a human life according to the local council,
    During some heavy rains and storms a while back there were trees falling on houses everywhere, a big tree in my yard was leaning over towards my house and swaying and obviously going over shortly so I emailed council for permission to remove their reply was "contact your arborist to access and if nessasary remove etc" funnily enough I don't have an arborist and any ones about were extremely busy. so I emailed them back and informed then I am going to hold them responsible for any damage or my family being hurt or worse by falling tree.
    council sent out inspector the next day and he immediately said that tree dangerous and u can remove it.
    (I was already hanging of it removing it anyway heh heh)
    the next shires council just made a public anouncment that if u think a tree is dangerous u can rmove it whithout our permission, good to see some common sense!
    it feels like the councils like the tree protection so they can rake in a lot of money in fines if some even gives a tree a dirty look.
    cheers

5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I can understand some of the reasoning behind the issue of regulating tree removal, Blair, but only up to a certain point and that is where common sense is replaced with stupidity. A tree that is deemed dangerous to the householder or the general public should be removed, end of story, no discussion with council required in my opinion, but it seems that the head to head clashes between ratepayers and councils over tree removal and many other issues are widespread across the country.

My brother has a house in Rosebery (Sydney), has lived there for more than 30 years and paid rates, yet when he wanted to remove an in-ground swimming pool from the backyard he had to pay the council well in excess of $1,000 to just process an application with no guarantee that it would be approved - wtf, it was his pool in his yard and he had to ask permission to remove it??? o_O

I suggested that he just smack some holes through the bottom to create good drainage, take off the top 50cms of the pool walls and fill the hole in, grow spuds or something - no way, once the council became aware of his intentions they monitored the situation so that they could control the outcome according to council bylaws.

Jeff

6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    luckily I don't have a pool, you would think they would see it as a good thing once it is removed and hole Is filled in ,safer. but they might be upset they cant charge for the water to fill pool any more!
    councils must be loving the construction boom, huge charges to get permits to use road traffic control,footpath traffic control, work zone parking,i think there is a charge so u can have a tower crane slewing over the job, then the fines.
    cheers

AJ Fishman, Old fisho and creekboy like this.