1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

VFA to review Vic rec fishing license.

Discussion in 'Fishing in Victoria' started by Rod Bender, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
  2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    They have been talking about persons that are exempt from holding a amateur fishing licence, Pay a minimal fee and obtain a licence. About a year ago I called into a tackle shop with Lyn and they were doing a survey on exempt persons having to pay for a fishing licence. I was told doing this would contribute to more accurate records of the number of anglers in Victoria. I told them I would be willing to purchase a licence if required. This subject has also been raised several times on Talking Fishing.

3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Whenever I've travelled down south into NSW or Vic, I have purchased a fishing licence for the time that I am there regardless of being exempt as a pensioner. I have never seen the logic behind the pensioner exemption, it's not as if it's a lot to pay.

I am a staunch advocate of the 'user pay' philosophy, not the entitlement attitude of so many old farts.

Jeff

4. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Another thing that has been discussed a few times on Talking Fishing, is that you keep the same licence number as a shooters licence, this would be another way to keep more accurate records. It was also stated that this system would work on the short term licences as well. A photo licence was also suggested.

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    I personally don't mind if I have to purchase a Fishing license.The funds are being put to good use and we are benefiting from the results.
    Maybe keep the 18 and under so it is not quite as hard on big
    family's as they will have them buying a license or two later.
    Wally

6. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Make them pay as well as far as I'm concerned...at least from 16 onwards. The majority of that age group seem to be able to afford a mobile phone!
    Cheers
    Team Bender

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  7. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Was it originally 16

creekboy and diesel like this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    It is estimated that the average teenager needs an allowance (pocket money) of $85 per week to cover the expenses of their day to day lifestyle and that does not surprise me. Using that figure as a baseline, by going without something for a week or two, they have more than enough disposable income to cover the full cost of the annual fishing licence.

Jeff

creekboy, Master Baiter and kev209 like this.
  9. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I can remember getting a Deener a week pocket money.

creekboy and diesel like this.
  10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I can relate to that Kev, but I didn't get it every week. Most of my money as a kid came from scrounging scrap metal at the tip or picking up bits of lead flashing around house building sites. There wasn't a lot of cash splashed around during my childhood in the 50's and in a way it wasn't such a bad thing ….. certainly taught young'uns the value of money.

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  11. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I am not sure Kev.

12. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    And this is the only reason for the the Andrews friggen gov b.s. target one million anglers crap I would rather see one mil shooters we would at least see a lot less ferals like cats and Fox's....

13. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Yes more shooters needed you can add deer to your list. They rip crap out of our veggie patch.

14. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The 'Target One Million' campaign is light years ahead of what the other states do (or don't do) Tac or am I missing something?

I would have thought that the phasing out of commercial fishing in your neck of the woods is a good thing and the money being invested in projects across the state beneficial to recreational fishing far exceeds anything else around the country.

Here in Qld, both the state and federal governments are failing miserably in their environmental duty of care towards the Great Barrier Reef and also the inland river system. What money is being channelled into so called protection programs is a pittance compared to what will be eventually lost in revenue with the death of the GBR. More than 70,000 people are employed in tourism related jobs along the tropical Qld coast and it's mainly the Great Barrier Reef that keeps the tourism industry going, yet the government decision makers are prepared to sacrifice all those jobs and tax revenue by giving the green light to projects that are rapidly killing the reef. The death of the GBR wont just have a devastating effect on Qld fishing, but the entire east coast of the continent and western Pacific region will suffer.

The more I see of the progressiveness of Victoria, the more I like the way things happen there....it's a bugger it's so bloody cold though.:eek:

Jeff

15. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Jeff,what is happening with the 444 million being donated to some unknown group to use for the Great Barrier Reef?
    It was stated that a billion dollars could be lost from Tourism with out it being sorted..
    Wally

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  16. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Wally, we will probably never know what happened to the grant given to the Great Barrier Reef Foundation. It is an organisation heavily stacked with directors who have a vested interest in mining which conflicts with environmental principles. Before the recent federal election, Shorten declared that should Labor gain power, they would demand that the grant money be returned to the Commonwealth, but as we know things didn't turn out that way.

There have been no new 'Save The Reef' projects announced since the allocation of the grant and my guess is that the money is being used to fund the lifestyle of the Foundation directors and nothing more. Just another example of the filthy rich with their snouts in the public trough.

Jeff