1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Vic trout opening...2019.

Discussion in 'Fishing in Victoria' started by Rod Bender, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    Anyone heading out chasing trout when the season opens on September 7th? Fisheries are running the festival again at Eildon. I will be going there as NFA has a site there. Won't be able to help them much as I have NFI!:cool:

Fisheries are releasing the monster trout again!
    https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fishing/featured/goulburn-fishing-festival-event-schedule
    I may stop at Strathbogie on the way home and try for a few hours on the reddies!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Reading thru a Megabass catalogue!

2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Our son Michael his partner Lisa, Lyn and myself are heading to a lake [1 of 3 to choose from] within a few hours from home. Michael has never been to an opening and it's been years for me. Where planing a family fishing outing, and Michael and I can say we went away for the opening, together. No one knows what tomorrow may bring.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    creekboy, Rod Bender and diesel like this.
  3. jedgpz

jedgpz Active Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Never seriously Fished for Trout. I am afraid that if I try i will need a new lure tray filled with lures ;)
    Cheers Jed

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  4. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, all. I will not make it to a river bank for a while due to over exertion digging post holes with my old mans over size crowbar, and lugging 3mtr sleepers around. Now have T10,T12 AND L1 vertebrae crush fractures. You would think a 76 year old ex tradie would have sense, not so. Cheers, wounded Lyall.

Tackleberry and kev209 like this.
  5. Dickson

Dickson Member

Jul 13, 2019
    I went on the trout opening last year but all I could catch was Macquarie Perch which were safely released.

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  6. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Hi Dickson, welcome to TBX

creekboy likes this.
  7. Dickson

Dickson Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Thanks Kev

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  8. jedgpz

jedgpz Active Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Hi Dickson, and Welcome,
    I have never caught a Mac Perch
    Cheers Jed

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  9. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Only a few days to go! I will be attending the festival at Eildon. NFA have a site there so I will spend some time with them. It was a few years ago that I first met them there which is ironic as they deal with native fish yet the festival is based around an introduced species.

I also met a guy there who sells lure brands called Mattlures and Huddlestons. Most of these are suitable for catching large natives. Me be taking some money so it could be an expensive day!

I won't be fishing the area as I am not a fan of crowds but as I pass nearby Strathbogie on the way home, it is an obvuous choice to stop for a couple hours and try for redfin.

Good luck to anyone who gets out.
    Cheers
    Team Bender

creekboy, AJ Fishman and kev209 like this.
  10. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Trout opening 2019 has come and gone! Hit the IGA cafe in Shepp Saturday morning and then headed off to Eildon. Native Fish Australia had a stand there so I thought I would help them out a bit. Weather on the day was cold, windy and wet at times. This no doubt had an impact on numbers attending. I think the number of displays in the hall were down as well. Anyway, I found the NFA stand and parked my ar$e! Good on our 2 guys who got there early and set up the display (unlike me) which featured a couple maccas in a tank. These were popular with the kids. We were alongside the ATF (Australian Trout Foundation) display as well which was good...as we had to 'man' it for most of the day. They were short of people and the one guy that did attend spent most of his time outdoors helping people with practical skills I think.

For those of you who are unaware, fisheries release large broodstock trout into the river and pondage just prior to opening. This causes a lot of angst with some trout fishos as they believe it upsets the balance of the river and causes a lot of extra 'angler pressure' on the river. Check out the link...you don't need a facebook account to see the pics. The release of the 'mega-trout' certainly brought some smiles to faces!
    https://www.facebook.com/VictorianFisheries/
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    NFA...ATF...NFI!!!!

DeeBeeKay, kev209, Dickson and 2 others like this.