1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Victorian trout opening!

Discussion in 'Fishing in Victoria' started by Rod Bender, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Yeah...it's on again! As usual there are the 'Fishing Festivals' at Eildon and Ballarat. I will be attending the Eildon event with my mate and his entourage of kids! I won't be fishing but it is a good day. Mind you...we may end up stopping at Strathbogie on the way home for a fish! Or the Euroa servo for a pie! :rolleyes: But Bender will have to be on his best behaviour around the kiddies so will have to curb my womanising ways!

Rex Hunt is attending the Eildon event so I may pass on a few tips to him!:cool: In November there is the 'Talking Wild Trout' conference in Mansfield. I may also be attending this. If you want to check out upcoming events check out the link.
    https://vfa.vic.gov.au/about/whats-on
    Cheers
    Jim

Sprinter, Madfisher, creekboy and 3 others like this.
  2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Thanks for the whats on website Jim

creekboy likes this.
  3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I might even try to wet a line myself this opening. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 and AWL like this.
  4. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I attended the Eildon trout festival today with my mate and one of his sons. First stop was the pondage where the kiddies could release trout. Here is a pic of my mate taking a pic of his son releasing fish whilst my mate eats a hands free apple!
    release 18.jpg
    The young kids could have a go at fishing here with rods and bait supplied. A few trout were caught but not while I was there. Rex Hunt was there to help the kids. Here is a pic of his back!
    Rex 18.jpg
    Attendance was good!
    crowd 18.jpg
    Goulburn Murray Water did their part for the guys trying the Goulburn by dropping the level!:)
    goulburn drop.JPG
    The river looked rather good actually...this was the view downstream from the pondage.
    river.JPG
    Anyways, we had a good time there. Then we moved onto the community centre. Native Fish Australia was there! I spent most of my time there talking to them. And then I saw it across the room! Fishing gear! So I went and checked it out! Looking at some large swimbaits...the price of the first one I looked at...$150! Yeah...nah! From memory it was made by Mattlures. And for what it is worth...they are well made lures and no doubt worth a bit of money but yeah...I can't go swimming to retrieve them! And then I saw them...sitting on the same table...drawing my attention like a magnet...I seen the name...they were...wait....for.........it.....Huddleston swimbaits! Of course this won't mean much to most people but I have noticed the name a lot on a US swimbait facebook page. Anyway, I now have the contact for this guy and Bender's bank balance is going to take a hammering!

So, back to the main topic...after my mate and his son took the bus tour down Snobs Creek hatchery, we headed down to the pondage so the young guy could fish. I did not bring any fishing gear. First of all one bait rod went in...which dad gave to him. I helped junior whilst dad cooked lunch. Then dad brought over a second rod so it went in. And...then a third rod! So this is more than the guy can use on his own. Then dad spotted fisheries coming along checking licenses. So I ask dad if he can bring my wallet from the car to save me the trek to it. But no...that would be too straightforward. So fisheries arrive...I had to return to car...nearly fell over. Show them my license...they checked my mates license as well despite the fact he was cooking and then checked our esky! They were obviously unaware of my inability to catch fish!

After the short fishless session we then head to a spot nearby where they had a car boot sale for people interested in selling old fishing gear. My other mate had a stall there. There was a trickle of people checking out the stalls but there was only about 6 stalls there. Reality is the majority of people attending were young families so perhaps they were not going to be that successful but worth a try no doubt. There was also lots of activities for the kids.

Overall it was a good day...highlights for me...talking to the native fish guys (at a festival for an introduced species...go figure!:eek:) and the Huddleston lure guy! I will certainly be attending next year.
    cheers
    Team Hudd!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    AWL, Hen and Chook, Sprinter and 4 others like this.
  5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Good post Jim love the photos , it shows you don't need to show a lot of or even one fish for a great day out.
    Wally

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    creekboy, AWL, Sprinter and 2 others like this.
  6. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Great report there Jim:cool:

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Excellent report , Jim. The Goulburn looks in pristine condition. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 likes this.