1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Waranga Basin assault!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Rod Bender, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    Went for a fish last Sunday on the shoreline of Waranga Basin. I was working on the day so I knew I wouldn’t get there until late arvo. I also had two of my supervisor’s sons in tow. They are old enough to look after themselves so it is a pleasure to take them along. Also met up with ‘Dangerous DBK’ from Nagas (that be Nagambie)! He had been fishing since mid-morning.

Target species was carp (for me anyway…more to the point, that is what I was expecting) with the outside chance of a yella. My bait of choice was scrub worms dug from Seven Creeks the prior week. So the carp were to be well fed! By the time we arrived Dave had landed a couple carp but had lost more. We set up then it was game on!
    the boys 15.jpg
    I was using one rod with 4 lb mono. I often do it here in the shallows as there is nothing (usually) that the fish can snag you on. I have no doubt the light line increases your chances of tempting the bigger fish! Unfortunately I was a bit lazy when rigging up…the line at the end felt a bit sus but did I cut a few metres off? Nope! Paid for it later me thinks!

Dave cleaned up while we were there...mostly carp and at least one small redfin I think. One of the boys got a carp and a small redfin. I let the youngest boy pull in a carp on my rod which left me with one very small redfin for the evening! However, without doubt I got ‘bite of the evening’! Unfortunately I didn’t see it as I had my head buried in an iPad! But reliable sources told me that my rod tip virtually hit the water! And that was that…busted off without a fight! Doesn’t worry me though…will be returning with the 4 lb mono!
    shoreline 15.jpg
    Cheers

OIC Team Basin

AJ Fishman, diesel, kev209 and 4 others like this.
  2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi Jim. You are one of my mob with the 4lb mono, you loose a few but you get a lot of satisfaction too. Cheers creekboy.

kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  3. Tinker

Tinker Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Great report mate, looks like a good place to be.
    I fish 4lb braid, but have upped to 10lb flouro leader coz anything else lets go too easily with bigger fish.
    The 4lb braid casts long distances but never lets me down, and the flouro leader always pops first.
    I run my braid to small snap swivel, and about 75cm of leader, which works a treat.
    But so far 4-8lb flourocarbon just seems to be a waste, especially bait fishing.....sticking with 10lb for now.
    And I recommend those scrubworms, tricky to bait up, but dynamite on fish.

4. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Love that last pic mate:cool:

creekboy likes this.
  5. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Yes...an artistic piece I call 'I am not catching fish...may as well take a pic'! As for using the 4 lb line...it is not a choice I make based on seeking a sporting experience. It is a choice I make knowing that I am going to increase my chances of hooking bigger, smarter and hopefully more fish! Then I honestly don't care if they roll over and play dead...if they are carp...I want them out! If I have to fight them until they die of old age...then so be it!

On the other hand, the old faithful 4 lb line was my line of choice in the channels chasing redfin...as it is now predominantly cod I am likely not to use it. No point stressing the cod in an epic battle! Use the appropriate gear as far as I'm concerned.
    cheers
    Jim

6. Tinker

Tinker Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Good point mate.
    My cod rods are 30lb, I get them in quick, unhook and let go as soon as they are ready.
    But then I also usually fish for cod from the tinny.
    I just like fishing light landbased, coz I am usually targeting carp and smaller natives like callop and silver perch.

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  7. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Heading off again Friday evening after work. I have about 20 scrubbies left and have dug some more worms. This time around if a smallish redfin comes in...chances are it will be going back out with a hook sticking out the top of its jaw! This time around I am in serious mode...which will last for at least ten minutes out there!
    cheers
    Team Bender

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  8. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Supposed to be a bit of a change coming through tomorrow arvo so you might do allright bender.Best of luck:D

creekboy likes this.
  9. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Good luck Jim. Cheers creekboy.

10. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    We want more pictures from that new camera Jim. Best of luck for Friday

creekboy likes this.
  11. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Didn't pay that much attention to the weather. After reading your comment I checked a Jane Bunn forecast video on Facebook....still didn't pick up on what was happening so looked on the BOM! The change may come through before we get there! This is what happens when your fishing buddies have to do a paper/pamphlet run after school!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Waranga School Principal

creekboy likes this.
  12. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Next coupla hours should be prime time mate;)
    Might go for a fish myself, i'll have the river at the doorstep for the 2nd time this week soon:eek:

creekboy and Rod Bender like this.
  13. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    So...we made it! Late as usual with perhaps only one hour left of daylight. With all the local creeks and rivers flooded it is a no-brainer to go out here...or fish with the locals at Shepp Lake!
    sunset 2 17.jpg
    Bait of choice was scrub worms baited on wide gape circle hooks. Am seriously thinking of changing hooks as I seem to miss many fish! And for a change I actually used two rods! One with 12 lb mono and the other with 4. It didn't take long and I had the first fish...a redfin which let us say was not that big!
    redfin 17.jpg
    I had my mate's sons there with me and one of them scored next with a carp around the 40 cm mark. And then followed up with another one as the sun went down.
    sunset 17.jpg
    We then settled in for the evening battle with the carp! Well it turned out to be a slow battle! I scored the only carp for the rest of the night...around 43 cm's which took me about 3 days to get it in on the 4lb mono! We got bites throughout the night but they would not hook up. At one time Andrew said something along the lines of..."it isn't even cold"! Well stuff me, within minutes the wind picked up from a different direction! We stayed until 1130 pm and we were confronted by this for the entire evening!
    night time 17.jpg
    The boys lit a fire to keep warm and they were happy. One of them said he could stay out there all night and I was tempted to fulfill his dream as he fell asleep next to the fire and I could have left him there! But I did the responsible adult thing and got his brother to wake him up.
    cheers
    Team Basin

Madfisher, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  14. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Now we know your new camera works. Great photos Jim looking to see many more

15. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Good work Jim at least someones been out fishing,will be good once this water goes down but I don't think that will anytime to soon I was thinking of giving the channels a crack today but am a bit sick of catching carp atm.what size circle hooks where you using I've been getting good hook up rates lately on 1\0 pretty much 100 percent since I started using them.

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  16. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I have never done any good using circles. I used size 6 and 8 I also found it a bit hard putting the worms on. May be that's was just me (get a bit of the shakes these days due to medication)

17. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I only started using them a few months back to try a get more neat hook ups so far so good. I think the ones I've been using are octopus circle hooks made by eagle claw I think,before that I used bait holder hooks I've been pretty happy with them probly my new go to hook.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    creekboy and kev209 like this.
  18. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I mostly use suicide bait holders but thought I would give circles a go. Its hard sitting there watching the nibbles and not being able to strike. With what I've been reading I might have to give circles another go.

creekboy likes this.
  19. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Tripod is next on the camera related shopping list!
    Started of with size 4 I think...not very big but then it is a reasonable starting point in regards to the likely outcome...carp and redfin. After the redfin was gut hooked I changed up to a size 1. The most annoying/strange aspect I find is the rod bends over sometimes and goes for a few seconds...you think you have definitely hooked it and then it goes dead! I have also found I am still gut hooking fish with circles...especially yellas yet they seem to work fine on carp!
    cheers
    Jim

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  20. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I think the yellow belly just inhale the bait I get alot of gut hooked ones I'm going to upsize the hooks I'm using once the river up here reopens

creekboy likes this.